Forums are back in action! ×

Unrealistic expectations...

"There are some Marines who may meet all established physical standards yet fail to present a suitable military appearance, and this is inconsistent with the Marine Corps' leadership principle of setting the example."

Wow, as if body-image isn't enough of a problem in this country.

Level 19 Ravenclaw Rebel

Fairy tales do not start, nor do they end, in the dark forest (Ted Lasso)
COMPLETED CHALLENGES: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 13.5 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21/21

CURRENT CHALLENGE: Mindful Magic

Here's what gets me. These folks bust their asses day in and day out- what are they eating? Ever try an MRE? They're carbs in a heavy plastic bag with a little protein and tabasco thrown in. I wonder what this story would look like if something like paleo was the military's diet of choice (though I'm willing to bet they go by the current food pyramid). And why are they not talking about visits with a nutritionist or mandatory physical training BEFORE we read about lipo and starvation? Ugh. Sad. But you're right about expectations- thanks for sharing.

I read a study once that said doing ANYTHING in the gym is more anabolic than doing NOTHING sitting in front of the computer.

~Chris Shugart @ T-nation

Iron is full of impurities that weaken it: through forging, it becomes steel and is

transformed into a razor-sharp sword. Human beings develop in the same fashion.

~Morihei Ueshiba

Favorites:

* Robb Wolf Podcast #68- Matt Lalonde vs gluten (<-transcript)

*Documentary: Fat Head

*NF blog:Most Inspirational 20 Minutes

*Starting Strength Wiki

Thank goodness I didn't join the military. Though I'm sure they would have fun with a pre-thyroid me trying to lose weight... *rolls eyes*

It would be nice if we would have some sort of way to educate people about paleo, primal, and the difference between that and the standard american diet. If you cut out junk food, paleo is only about 10-20 bucks more expensive a week. Granted, I'm buying good (mostly organic) stuff, trying to shop sales, but in the end caring that I get good bacon, eggs, steak, and veggies...because the last thing I want to do is end up on the biggest loser or get diabetes...

Wow, interesting article. My brother is on a sub half the year and they don't exactly get the best food. Sometimes he will get stuck out at sea and eat government issued ham sandwiches 3 meals a day until they get back to port. Not to mention all the smoking and drinking he does on shore due to the high stress of his job. His weight has gone up tremendously since he joine dthe Navy.

Cherish your visions and your dreams as they are the children of your soul, the blueprints of your ultimate achievements.- Napoleon Hill

Well the real issue is that the cockpits are designed/engineered for maximum efficiency, and you just can't be over a certain dimension or you simply won't fit in them. I'm a little over 6'4" and literally cannot fit in a fighter jet cockpit, and wouldn't be allowed to fly one (not that I'm trying to, heh). While I can't lower my height, at least someone's waist size can be diminished :P