Forums are back in action! ×

Any Archers out there?

unamedwookie

Hey all. Just wondered if anyone out there in the rebellion participate or practice archery? Personally I shoot Traditional Bows as well as Building them.

Ranger LVL 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

STR:4 DEX:2 STA:2 CON:2 WIS:3 CHA:2

"When your mind screams stop, Your bodies reached 40% of what you can do" -Unknown

"Who Dares Wins" -Motto of Special Air Service Regiment.

How about a wannabe archer? I'm interested in traditional bows, but don't have the means to get started, nor the skill to try to make my own. I did it once at a camp I went to in grade 6, was immediately hooked, and have wanted to do it ever since then. Some day...

Dare mighty things

I am not an archer, but I want to be. A friend of my dad is a bowyer and he said when he gets the free time (which may be in a week or 2 years) he would make me a longbow and if I help make it, he most likely won't charge me anything for it. I am considering once I get some more money saved up, I'm buying a cheap longbow from Cabelas to tide me over until I get to make my own.

Level 1 Woodwose

STR 5 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 2 | WIS 5 | CHA 4

WAR 0 | RNG 0 | SCT 0 | ASN 0 | MON 0 | DRU 0 | ADV 1

Current Challenge: Specialization is for Insects

Previous Chapters: 1

I am not an archer, but I want to be. A friend of my dad is a bowyer and he said when he gets the free time (which may be in a week or 2 years) he would make me a longbow and if I help make it, he most likely won't charge me anything for it. I am considering once I get some more money saved up, I'm buying a cheap longbow from Cabelas to tide me over until I get to make my own.

Yeah, I shot a few times before, but I did a course and made my own and then I started shooting A lot. The feeling of shooting your own bow that you made is just awesome. Also motivates you to get out and do it.

And, Athena. In the ACT you can shoot in your backyard as long as you don't hit anyone... so thats were my range is. Only had one or two arrows fly over the back fence, but they were retrieved without anyone noticing.

Ranger LVL 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"When your mind screams stop, Your bodies reached 40% of what you can do" -Unknown

I haven't gotten my bow out in a few years but my kids are getting old enough to shoot so maybe I should dust it off.

Also, when shooting in my backyard, I would stand on something tall like the picnic table and shoot down towards the ground at a low target. That stops any missed shots from travelling too far.

In the ACT you can shoot in your backyard as long as you don't hit anyone

With any bow? Here you have to take out a certain amount of tension in order for it to be legal (or be using one of those one-step-up-from-a-toy bows).

Oh, and there's an older archery thread in the Crosstraining folder here: Do we have any Archers on here?

Wood Elf Assassin
  -- Level 10 --
STR 26 | DEX 13 | STA 19 | CON 7 | WIS 14 | CHA 14

I have an old Hoyt Super Slam that is set at an 70lbs. I severly want a new that is more like 50lbs. I don't know why people want 70+ bows, it's like getting a 7mmMag for 80 yard shots.

Wouldn't mind having a crossbow now that they are legal for hunting in LA.

"A sharp knife is nothing without a sharp eye" - Koloth

"Ya can't grill it until ya kill it" - Uncle Ted

"If it ain't Metal...IT'S CRAP!!!" - Dee Snider

With any bow? Here you have to take out a certain amount of tension in order for it to be legal (or be using one of those one-step-up-from-a-toy bows).

Oh, and there's an older archery thread in the Crosstraining folder here: Do we have any Archers on here?

As far as I know, Its funny laws, Bows aren't considered a weapon until a arrow is drawn and aimed at a person. (wouldn't walk up to a cop with one or wander around with it without a good reason.

And thanks for the link to the other thread. I did search for another archery thread but couldn't find on, guess i didn't look hard enough.

Ranger LVL 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Sounds like I'm not alone in trying to learn, but distance being a problem. Does anyone know some good resources for setting up a home range? Outdoor or maybe even indoor, I don't know if that's a thing.

The Vigilante - Gorgon Druid (Temp)
STR: 1 DEX: 2 CON: 2
STA: 3 WIS: 4 CHA: 3
"I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I've brought a big bat. I'm all ready, you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!"-- Dr. Seuss

Challenge goals

Battle log

Sounds like I'm not alone in trying to learn, but distance being a problem. Does anyone know some good resources for setting up a home range? Outdoor or maybe even indoor, I don't know if that's a thing.

What kind of distance is available indoor and out? And how well can you currently shoot (if you already do)?

If you are a complete beginner, you don't need much distance at all, even about 5 to 6 feet or so is enough because you may need to practice and perfect your form before you worry about any certain accuracy. After that, I would step the bow further back (to around 5 yards) until you can hit a target (I hear good things about the block, though even a few bales of straw are usually acceptable too.) with consistency, then increase range by 5 or so yards and repeat, continuing as far as your space permits or until you reach at least 25 yards, which is (from my 5 minute research on the subject) the most common professional indoor range length.

Not exactley an archer, but I mess around with

I am a giant fan of the atlatl. Who said giant spoons can't be used as effective weapons?

Level 1 Woodwose

STR 5 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 2 | WIS 5 | CHA 4

WAR 0 | RNG 0 | SCT 0 | ASN 0 | MON 0 | DRU 0 | ADV 1

Current Challenge: Specialization is for Insects

Previous Chapters: 1

Though I've tried Archery a few times, I possess less then no talent at it. My wife, however, is an excellent archer and used to give lessons in it. She still occasionally practices; I'll turn her onto this thread.

TheRedWriter

Level 3 Doppelganger Ranger
"Think not that you have to win. Think instead that you do not have to loose."
STR 8|DEX 4.5|STA 11|CON 6|WIS 6.5|CHA 5

I'm no archer either but ever since watching The Arrow, my kids and I (and the wife) took a liking to it so much that I bought the kids bows from Walmart. I also found a website for making bows put of PVC pipe from the local home improvement store.I have yet to make one as I still need to purchase a heat gun. I'll look for the link later...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Yeah, I got this!" -andygates

Archived