Forums are back in action! ×

Barbells rock! :)

Hi everybody!

Finally introducing myself and making the commitment to get fitter :)

I've been reading the blog, forums and now I decided to take a step forward...

Im female, 47 years old. Height: 1.70m Weight: about 63-65 kg?? and for my birthday my best friend (at my request) got me a 50kg Barbell Dumbbell set. I bought a copy of Mark Rippetoe 'Starting Strength' and I just started reading it. I love lifting weights but it's early days! Im taking it easy as I have never really exercised and I need to learn the lifts. I am also doing the Beginner Body Weight Workout and even thinking of joinning on the next challenge on the 7th of January....

Regarding goals I want basically become fitter and stonger and feel more energetic. Weight wise it would be great losing about 5 kg. I eat healthy and I follow a Mediterranean diet, but i need to introduce more fruit and vegs so im learning about Paleo stuff... 

Oh, one more thing! I struggle a bit with motivation... But knowing you all rebels are there it definitely helps :) 

Robotic - Warrior

Level 1. STR: 3 - STA: 2 - DEX: 3 - CON: 4 - WIS: 3 First Challenge

Welcome aboard, it sounds like you've got a good start already.  What are your goals for the next challenge? We are always happy to encourage but only you can motivate yourself. You're doing great so far.

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Welcome! I've been strength training with kettlebells, dumbbells, and bodyweight stuff for a few years, but I REALLY want to step up and learn to lift heavy with barbells. Injuries have held me back some, but right now my body is A-OK and I'm ready for more! A personal trainer I know might teach a beginning barbell seminar soon, which I am eagerly awaiting. I've looked at cheapo barbell sets for home, but have never gotten one am and kind of chicken to learn all on my own. Is that what you are doing, just learning at home from the book?

Avalonna, level 3 Half-Elf Adventurer RangerCurrent challenge & spreadsheet • First challenge • Second challenge â€¢ Third challenge • Fourth challenge • Twitter • Tumblr Nerd Fitness: "This is the place to be healthy with others who know how to field strip a light saber and read elvish while explaining the dynamics of sub-space as it relates to a warp field." - tanktimusSTR 7 ~ DEX 2 ~ STA 6 ~ CON 8 ~ WIS 4 ~ CHA 3

Hey Guys!

thanks a lot for your welcome messages :)

Welcome aboard, it sounds like you've got a good start already.  What are your goals for the next challenge? We are always happy to encourage but only you can motivate yourself. You're doing great so far.

Well Tanktimus, considering is my first challenge Im gonna try to keep it simple.... And most importantly for me, Achievable!

1- Lifting 3 times a week focussing on good form and increase the weight progressively.

2- Complete three full circuits of the Beginner Body Weight Workout.

3- Sleeping 8 hours

4- Life goal: Hmmm... I haven't decided this one yet... Too many to accomplish! Ha.

Welcome! I've been strength training with kettlebells, dumbbells, and bodyweight stuff for a few years, but I REALLY want to step up and learn to lift heavy with barbells. Injuries have held me back some, but right now my body is A-OK and I'm ready for more! A personal trainer I know might teach a beginning barbell seminar soon, which I am eagerly awaiting. I've looked at cheapo barbell sets for home, but have never gotten one am and kind of chicken to learn all on my own. Is that what you are doing, just learning at home from the book?

Hi Avalona, yes Im learning on my own, reading 'Starting Strength' , reading stuff on the Internet and watching videos. I am taking things slowly and with caution as I am a complete novice and I try not to do something stupid like lifting too heavy too soon with bad form and injure myself. I must add I am gym-phobic, so at the moment working out at home it suits me nicely, but i guess at some point i will have no other choice than joining a gym... You already have some lifting experiencie, and luckily you can attend a seminar so don't hesitate and get yourself a home barbell set :) oh, and have a look at this websites: http://www.stumptuous.com/ http://gubernatrix.co.uk/

They really inspired me along with NF and gave me a kick to start my journey.

Robotic - Warrior

How are you going to intersperse the Beginner Body Weight workout with lifting? People generally need a day of non-lifting in between lifting days for recovery, most people on the boards do cardio or yoga on their non-lifiting days. And if you can lift with weights, you may not need the BBW. I recommend going on the Strength related training boards and asking for advice. If, however, you are using the BBW to track your lifting progress, that might work, just be sure to have a recovery day inbetween lifting days.

Good luck!

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

How are you going to intersperse the Beginner Body Weight workout with lifting? People generally need a day of non-lifting in between lifting days for recovery, most people on the boards do cardio or yoga on their non-lifiting days. And if you can lift with weights, you may not need the BBW. I recommend going on the Strength related training boards and asking for advice. If, however, you are using the BBW to track your lifting progress, that might work, just be sure to have a recovery day inbetween lifting days.

Good luck!

Thank you Tanktimus for your advice :)

I will check the Strength training boards. I use the BBW as a 'warm up' just before start lifting, and during my non-lifting days i just rest... But actually i want to take up Yoga lessons, and today i just saw advertised some lessons near where i live so i might just do that!

Robotic - Warrior

Archived