Forums are back in action! ×

Motivational Phrases.

What are some of your favorite motivational phrases you use to mutter to yourself as you work out, or perhaps express your workout positivity to friends as you go?

Some of mine are:

"Do it to it"

"Maximum velocity with maximum ferocity"

"Learn to burn"

"Get fit or die trying"

"She turned me into a newt!"

"A newt?"

"I got better..."

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/NFPlex

That's NFPlex.

There's a whole whack of good quotes here: http://nerdfitness.com/community/showthread.php?919-Inspiration-and-Quotes . This board finds the best quotes ever.

"Let another say. 'Perhaps the worst will not happen.' You yourself must say. 'Well, what if it does happen? Let us see who wins!' ".

- Seneca, 63 AD

"There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength." - Henry Rollins

I don't really have a phrase as such, i just remember the Royal Marines adverts "It's a state of mind" so when I'm on the tread and I intend to do 30 mins, i get to 30 mins and tell myself one more minute and at 31, one more minute and so on and so on, I just won't let myself quit until there is absolutely nothing left

Jedi Si: V2.0 - Valves by NHS. Courage, Determination, Cheerfulness in Adversity - It's a state of mind

My stockpile: Motivational Quotes

“Ask not for a lighter burden, but ask for broader shoulders.”

"Not what we have but what we enjoy constitutes abundance."

“No man has ever risen to the real stature of spiritual manhood until he has found that it is finer to serve somebody else than it is to serve himself.” – Woodrow Wilson

Great thoughts reduced to practice become great acts. -William Hazlitt

"You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life." - Winston Churchill

"There's no point in regretting things because at one time you wanted them that way."

“Do not train children to learning by force and harshness, but direct them to it by what amuses their minds, so that you may be better able to discover with accuracy the peculiar bent of the genius of each.” – Plato

"Goals are dreams with work clothes on." - Dave Ramsey

No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man. -Heraclitus

Three grand essentials to happiness in this life are something to do, something to love, and something to hope for. -Joseph Addison

If you mean your marriage to last a lifetime, then you marry your best friend, not because the sex is great; it's mutual respect and love that binds, making whole lives together possible.

Contradictions do not exist. Whenever you think that you are facing a contradiction, check your premises. You will find that one of them is wrong. - John Galt

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. -Marcus Aurelius, philosopher and writer (121-180)

I am strict with my sons because I only have so long to put my stamp on them to teach them how to be young men. Without me, they will have no foundation, and if I dont teach them, all others will. This is my job, not some hoodlums job. Whenever my son needs to talk to me, I stop ALL things and listen. I don't care if I am at work, sleeping whatever have you. That child has my undivided attention and love. That's how I get the respect and that is why we are all so close.

When love is not madness, it is not love. -Pedro Calderon de la Barca, poet and dramatist (1600-1681)

If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month. - Theodore Roosevelt

Never spend less than two hours outdoors in nature per week. - Chris

Don't let a week pass without breaking a sweat at least once. - Brent Pottenger

One is happy as a result of one's own efforts once one knows the necessary ingredients of happiness: simple tastes, a certain degree of courage, self denial to a point, love of work, and above all, a clear conscience. -George Sand

“It is not the critic who counts, not the one who points out how the strong man stumbled or how the doer of deeds might have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred with sweat and dust and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy cause and who, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.” - Theodore Roosevelt

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." - Gandalf the Grey

Each of us is artist, the world is our mountain of marble, and we own it all. We may choose one block, cast it aside, choose another and another, each more wonderfully veined: the mountain is ours. This, however, is the significant point: unless we do decide upon a single block, and work at it so long and faithfully that in the end we have chipped off all the superfluous marble and released the statue (Michael Angelo believed God placed in every block) it means nothing that we own the mountain. Rather, we do own the mountain when we have achieved the single statue, and only then. - Edward Howard Griggs

“If one advances confidently in the direction of one's dreams, and endeavors to live the life which one has imagined, one will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.” - Henry David Thoreau

If you don't scare yourself on a semi-regular basis, then you're not living, and not accomplishing anything. You might as well be dead. - Blair Kleiber

“We must be our own before we can be another's.” - Ralph Waldo Emerson

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in, forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day, you shall begin it well and serenely...” - Ralph Waldo Emerson

“Whatever course you decide upon, there is always someone to tell you that you are wrong. There are always difficulties arising which tempt you to believe that your critics are right. To map out a course of action and follow it to an end requires courage.” - Ralph Waldo Emerson

“The key to change... is to let go of fear.” - Rosanne Cash

“Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." - Christopher Robin to Pooh

“Confront the dark parts of yourself, and work to banish them with illumination and forgiveness. Your willingness to wrestle with your demons will cause your angels to sing. Use the pain as fuel, as a reminder of your strength.” - August Wilson

“It takes more courage to reveal insecurities than to hide them, more strength to relate to people than to dominate them, more 'manhood' to abide by thought-out principles rather than blind reflex. Toughness is in the soul and spirit, not in muscles and an immature mind.” - Alex Karras

“Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death.” - Earl Wilson

“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” - Ralph Waldo Emerson

“The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.” - Ralph Waldo Emerson

“Nothing external to you has any power over you.” - Ralph Waldo Emerson

“Because your own strength is unequal to the task, do not assume that it is beyond the powers of man; but if anything is within the powers and province of man, believe that it is within your own compass also.” - Marcus Aurelius

We are not the same persons this year as last; nor are those we love. It is a happy chance if we, changing, continue to love a changed person. -William Somerset Maugham, writer (1874-1965)

Elitism is the slur directed at merit by mediocrity. -Sydney J. Harris, journalist (1917-1986)

Level 5 Human Ranger

Stats as of July 25:   STR: 9.5   DEX: 5.75   STA: 7.5   CON: 15.25   WIS: 6   CHA: 8.5

Achievements:

Tough Mudder CO 2012 (4hrs)

Got below 200lbs

NF Challenge #4 Winner

Current Challenge

Past 1 2 3

MyFitnessPal

Fitocracy

RunKeeper

I don't really have a phrase as such, i just remember the Royal Marines adverts "It's a state of mind" so when I'm on the tread and I intend to do 30 mins, i get to 30 mins and tell myself one more minute and at 31, one more minute and so on and so on, I just won't let myself quit until there is absolutely nothing left

My favourite Royal Marine advert was "I come from the sea." But that's for purely girly hormonal reasons relating to the ad itself. *shiver*

But as for a motivational phrase, I give you:

"It's a mental adjustment." Which is a direct quote from my high school marching band's trainer. Yes, the band had it's own trainer. We were badass.

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=gn4xhdj4fOU

The only easy day is yesterday. -Navy Seal School saying.

I will conquer because I will try.

By mind, by heart, by strength of arms: I will not relent.

Deeds, not words.

He trains my hands for battle; my arms can bend a bow of bronze. Psalm 18:34 (my running cadence).

One of us is going to get jacked up-and it's you.

Never, never, never give in except to decency, honor, and common sense. Winston Churchill

The Soldier's Creed-goes to the West Point website. I recite it with my troops when we meet for duty first thing in the morning drill weekend. It's a really inspiring and humbling thing to hear those words spoken as a promise to each other.

On the Bounce!

10%
10%