Forums are back in action! ×

I think Paleo tried to kill me...

Jcannon98188

So Monday morning I wake up. Oh, cool, a new 6 week challenge. I go to my kitchen to grab some breakfast cereal, but hesitate. "Hey, let's go Paleo. Starting today." So I grab some eggs and make a bomb dot com omellete instead. Lunch, make a delicious salad and have some fruit. Then I realize I have a massive migrane. So I leave work early and head home. On my way home, my vision started failing (which was fun, driving I-5 and not being about to see) and this continues all day Monday, and most into the day on Tuesday. My mom thinks this was from sugar withdrawals. Regardless, I am blaming paleo. Eating healthy is stupid :P 

But for real though, anyone have similar things happen to them when starting Paleo, or was this something else causing it?

(And in  other news, Day 3 of Paleo and going strong :)

If I suddenly start eating a lot more protein I get headaches too. I guess you don't start running and immediately go for a marathon, so why do it with diet? Maybe if you started slow you'd have less of an issue? 

I know migraine sufferers can be particularly sensitive to certain foods as well, so perhaps it's something you ate (or didn't eat). 

http://jackblog.org

Jack Blog | The Blog of Jack

It does sound like a low-carb sickness. Maybe you should have some sweet potatoes or other allowable choices. 

HALF-OGRE
Level 3 Ranger / Level 1 Sexy Grandpa

Str: 10.75 Dex: 11 Sta: 9.25 Con: 7.5 Wis: 6.75 Cha: 5.75

"The chief cause of failure and unhappiness is trading what you want most for what you want right nowâ€. ― Zig Ziglar

Introduction
Current 6 week challenge
My workout log

Specialization is for insects. Do all the things!

Low Carb Flu doesn't usually set in within hours, though.  And I've not yet heard of anyone suffering blindness from low carbs.  I'd suggest a visit to the doctor, or possibly the ER if this is continuing.  Those are some really serious symptoms.

Level 3/1 Wild Elf Assassin/Ranger
Owner of the Lizard Demon
STR 12 | DEX 10 | STA 8 | CON 9 | WIS 12 | CHA 7
Our motto within STG is to always expect trouble. Failing that, create trouble for someone else. -Major Kirrahe

We do not experience fear, but we understand how it affects you. -LEGION

Party: Down & Dirties
Level 1: Ranger 1
Level 2: Assassin 1

Level 4: Assassin 3

2013 Resolutions

It does sound like it could be from withdrawal, if your diet previously had a ton of sugar and you quit cold turkey. Also caffeine. Also consider asking a professional, not the internets. 

We're not doctors. Those are symptoms that you should talk to a doctor about. Serious headaches, especially with accompanying symptoms, are not something that should be self-diagnosed or self-treated.

I had headaches for about a week or so after I changed from a terrible super high sugar/processed food diet to eating primal.  I was pretty irritable, but one afternoon it just went away and I have felt awesome since. 

I don’t remember losing vision though.  That seems to be a fairly concerning issue that may or may not be related to your diet change.  After all, you changed your diet; you weren’t just released from being frozen in carbonite. 

I would at very least talk it over with your doctor if it happens again.

Level 1 Troll Monk
STR 3  | DEX 2  | STA 2 | CON 3 | WIS 2 | CHA 3

I'm glad you're feeling better!  My brother has had ocular migraines for years, losing vision at least in one eye when they occur.  When he tried paleo he found his migraines disappeared, probably because he was avoiding foods he didn't realize were triggers, but he definitely had the low-grade headaches a lot of us experience as 'carb flu'.  As said, migraines aren't the same as headaches, and wouldn't be *likely* to be caused solely by eating differently for half a day.  How are you feeling otherwise?  For me the first couple days really sucked, then again around 7-10 days if I remember right.  

I know I've repeated what others have said, and it's obvious to me you're being a bit facetious (veggies are teh evil :) ), but just in case random lurkers take you literally, thought I'd add my two cents.

I started on Wednesday and felt fine, Thursday I had some rice and naan as one last hoorah at the indian resturant (the rice was covered with butter chicken <3) friday and today though I have had a headache all day and feeling just bleh and tired. I hope it passes soon.

"When I can no more stir my soul to move, and life is but the ashes of a fire; When I can but remember that my heart once used to live and love, long and aspire - O be thou then the first, the one thou art; Be thou the calling before all answering love, and in me wake hope, fear, boundless desire." - George MacDonald

I went through some serious sugar with drawls when I cut it completely from my diet for the like, 3 days I managed it haha. I had a terrible headache, which i was expecting since I am headache prone. So it could be however, you were only eating healthy for less than a day and it usually takes a while for your body to hate you for sugar with drawl. Add the vision problems in and I'd say get your butt to a doctor, just to be safe!! 

Level 10 Wandering Nord

Constitution: 15.5 Strength: 14 Wisdom: 17.5 Stamina: 12.25 Dexterity: 2 Charisma: 8
Current Challenge: Picking Up The Pieces

Well I'm better now, so its why I didn't go to the Dr. And I used to drink a crap ton of sodas and whatnot. In all seriousness, it was most likely something else. I still blame healthy eating though. Pft. Vegetables? Who needs em.

I really need to learn to read the replies before posting LOL!! Glad you feel better now! It very well could have been from lack of sugar though!! 

Level 10 Wandering Nord

Constitution: 15.5 Strength: 14 Wisdom: 17.5 Stamina: 12.25 Dexterity: 2 Charisma: 8
Current Challenge: Picking Up The Pieces

Archived