Forums are back in action! ×

weight training vs. aerobic conditioning....

spatzcat

WIthout peering into the research very hard, it comes as absolutely no surprise to me that combined aerobics with weight training and a good diet would reduce body fat effectively and increase strength levels in untrained individuals. As much arguing as goes on in fitness circles, there are very few who would argue that result.

Almost no one ever that knows what they are talking about will say weight training, in isolation, will reduce body fat. Diet is and always will be king.

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

hrmmm... not nearly enough info. Being able to see the study would be nice. What was the rep ranges used? What Exercises were used? Why did they need 8 different exercises for beginning strength training? Were they using linear progression, or just "doing 3 sets of 8 exercises" using a weight that felt difficult? How much strength was gained after the 8 months? 3 sets of each exercise? Did they warm up or just use early sets as a sh**y warm up?

I read one of the other articles written by the author and she didn't cite any of her "references" there either.

To find piece with myself
I must first find a piece of myself

http://www.burnthefatblog.com/archives/2012/12/aerobic-vs-resistance-training-for-fat-loss.php

A good counter article

I got less of a just-feeding-tha-deadline feel from this one.

Thanks. That makes more sense.

HALF-OGRE
Level 3 Ranger / Level 1 Sexy Grandpa

Str: 10.75 Dex: 11 Sta: 9.25 Con: 7.5 Wis: 6.75 Cha: 5.75

"The chief cause of failure and unhappiness is trading what you want most for what you want right nowâ€. ― Zig Ziglar

Introduction
Current 6 week challenge
My workout log

Specialization is for insects. Do all the things!

Why do people feel that we have to decide which one is better for it? Shouldn't we encourage a mixture of both weight training and aerobics? The type of each would vary greatly depending on the person and the goals but everyone should be doing at least a little of both. I also think it depends a lot upon the individual as well, I hope that 'they' eventually figure out there is no one-size-fits-all when it comes to weight loss, health and fitness. What works for one, probably wont work for the other. Even more, depending on your goals you'll be focusing on different things, someone training for a marathon is going to have a different workout plan than someone who wants to do a figure competition.

I think it's time 'they' just agree that a mix between a healthy diet- cardio and weights is the best way to get in better shape and stop trying to give people an easy weight loss cure! 

Level 10 Wandering Nord

Constitution: 15.5 Strength: 14 Wisdom: 17.5 Stamina: 12.25 Dexterity: 2 Charisma: 8
Current Challenge: Picking Up The Pieces

That whole weight loss is 80% diet...

Yeah, that.

Comparing weight loss between two exercise types without contolling diet. LOL.

Is this a Dr. Oz study?

^this. Also, they must not have been very effective programs as the average weight loss over 8 months was 3 lb with aerobics and the muscle gain about 1.5 lb with weights. Diet really is king.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I read thru the 1st article. All I really have is my own personal experience to draw from.

I was a very consistent weight lifter from the ages of 19-32. I pounded the weights hard, had a fairly low body fat % (10-12) I never ran save for the deck hockey games I played once a week or so. I ate like it was my job. AYCE nights were the norm. Wings one night, chinese buffet the next, lunch out almost every day of the week. If I noticed a slight gain, a week or 2 of salad & tuna at lunch and I was back to normal.

Took about a 2 year break from any exercise, my appetite decreased, but I still ate bad, got very soft & squishy. Never measured but my BF% probably went up to 18.

Started running, half marathon, then 2 marathons. Weight was very slow to come off at first, I had to carefully watch what I ate, there was no wiggle room like there had been when I was lifting. I did get my BF% back down to the 10% range again, but lke I said diet had to be controlled a lot better,

I'm now to the point where I do both strength & cardio & eat really healthy, so there's no real issue anymore.

rybo, level 4 Human assassinSTR 16|DEX 7.5|STA 9|CON 12|WIS 8.5|CHA 5 

I've lost weight before with no exercise just by counting calories. Of course, it wasn't a lifestyle change, so some of it came back. I think the consensus is diet is and will always be a huge part of weight loss. Cardio works better for some and weighst for others, and for some a mix. That's why we have six different guilds.

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

From what I've read in several places(I can't remember exactly where from) anaerobic exercise has all of the same benefits and more then aerobic exercise does. It strengthens your heart(I've personally tested this, after lifting heavy for a year with no aerobic exercise whatsoever my average heart rate dropped twenty beats per minute, one morning it was so low they almost didn't let me donate plasma) anaerobic also increases bone density, and with proper form is generally easier on the joints then running. That being said though do what you enjoy because if you enjoy it you're going to stick with it better then you would otherwise.

Archived