Forums are back in action! ×

Pride in being unhealthy?

sumdawgtwigg

I notice a trend in a lot of my friends on fb, etc. They post constantly about their terrible diet, and lack of any kind of exercise like it's something to be proud of. They put up those fake greeting cards making fun of fitness and the people that put forth effort to be healthy. Maybe I'm just a little over sensitive but the stuff drives me crazy. It's even come down to friends saying passive aggresive things on posts about fitness. I just don't understand what motivates this kind of thinking. When I'm eating unhealthy or not doing a workout when I'm supposed I don't take pride in it. I feel terrible. 

"It's always the ones that don't do anything that try to bring you down" - Henry Rollins

"There is no meantime, there is only now" - The Ditty Bops

Trail Blazing Elf Ranger Sumdawgtwigg Level 3  STR-3 DEX-4 STA-4 CON-3 WIS-5 CHA-2

Fitocracy

My Game Blog

DO IT CHALLENGE!

*shrug*  People take pride in all kinds of stupid shit.  People like to talk about themselves.  Even when it might be better to shut up.  It's just human nature.

I have a friend who's a police officer, and he finds it mighty convenient how so many criminals brag publicly about their lawbreaking ways.

Also, people often humiliate themselves as a way of getting attention -- any reality show is proof of that.

Around NF we take pride in our "nerd" cred, but I'm sure much of the Interweb thinks we're showing off something we should be ashamed of.  In my city, people take pride in driving ugly cars and wearing unfashionable clothes.  We feel it shows that "our priorities are different," meaning we're somehow "better" for being frugal or not concerned with appearances.

Are your friends so different for bragging about their deep-fried pizza?

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

*shrug*  People take pride in all kinds of stupid shit.  People like to talk about themselves.  Even when it might be better to shut up.  It's just human nature.

I have a friend who's a police officer, and he finds it mighty convenient how so many criminals brag publicly about their lawbreaking ways.

Also, people often humiliate themselves as a way of getting attention -- any reality show is proof of that.

Around NF we take pride in our "nerd" cred, but I'm sure much of the Interweb thinks we're showing off something we should be ashamed of.  In my city, people take pride in driving ugly cars and wearing unfashionable clothes.  We feel it shows that "our priorities are different," meaning we're somehow "better" for being frugal or not concerned with appearances.

Are your friends so different for bragging about their deep-fried pizza?

Yeah, I guess you're right. It just get's annoying in a lot of ways. I'm sure me talking about running and what not get's on their nerves just as much. I like the reality show example. 

"It's always the ones that don't do anything that try to bring you down" - Henry Rollins

Trail Blazing Elf Ranger Sumdawgtwigg Level 3  STR-3 DEX-4 STA-4 CON-3 WIS-5 CHA-2

Fitocracy

My Game Blog

DO IT CHALLENGE!

Those people should not be your friends.

I'm not sure I would go quite that far with it. lol 

Fitocracy

My Game Blog

DO IT CHALLENGE!

I can't speak for them, but as someone who used to have a similar perspective, it all boiled down to justifying my own excuses. I felt that getting fit was impossible. I hated exercise, and I certainly didn't want to give up my favorite foods. So, I convinced myself that it was the fit people who were making the wrong choice.

"Man, I feel so bad for that deprived girl eating the apple." "Look how muscular that guy is, he probably doesn't have any time to study." "Did she say that she uses exercise to keep her energy levels up? That's so stupid, exhaustion is the definition of exercise!"

It ended up giving me an "us vs them" attitude. I couldn't be like them, so I had to prove to myself that my lifestyle was better! I imagine a similar thing may going on here.

Lvl 5 Lightbending Bard
STR: 10 | DEX: 10 | STA: 7 | CON: 9 | WIS: 15 | CHA: 5.5
"If the desire to write is not accompanied by actual writing, then the desire must be not to write." - Hugh Prather

Feel free to drop by my current challenge!

I guess I urge you to consider why it bothers you so much that your friends have different goals and priorities than you do.  I'm sure there are people on facebook who get annoyed by my status updates about cooking and weightlifting, but honestly, they don't have to read if they don't want to.  And, if they're really your friends, you should respect where they are in their lives, just as they should respect where you are.  Now if they're, like, tagging you or goading you, that's a different story.  But if it's just status updates...well...not everyone's into fitness or eating healthfully and that's everyone's decision to make for themselves.

Selkie Warrior
Level 2, STR: 6.5 | DEX: 4.5 | STA: 2.8 | CON: 4 | WIS: 7 | CHA: 2.5

Shoshie's "Getting Awesome" Challenge 
Shoshie's "Just Hanging Around" Challenge

I guess I urge you to consider why it bothers you so much that your friends have different goals and priorities than you do.  I'm sure there are people on facebook who get annoyed by my status updates about cooking and weightlifting, but honestly, they don't have to read if they don't want to.  And, if they're really your friends, you should respect where they are in their lives, just as they should respect where you are.  Now if they're, like, tagging you or goading you, that's a different story.  But if it's just status updates...well...not everyone's into fitness or eating healthfully and that's everyone's decision to make for themselves.

Them goading me doesn't happen very often but it has happened. I know I shouldn't let it bother me so much. I really do realize that. I even realize it's a bit immature on my side to get so bothered by it. It's one of those things I need to work on in my next challenge. Not to be so affected by other people. Thanks for your reply, it helped me see it a little different. 

Fitocracy

My Game Blog

DO IT CHALLENGE!

Yeah, I agree with a lot of what has been said. A lot of it comes down to jealousy, they don't feel like they have the self-discipline to do what you are doing, even though they would really want to. So, to make themselves feel better, they try to make it seem like what you're doing is uncool.

Remember when you were in school and it was uncool to get good grades? It's crazy, but it happens a lot. There is a lot of peer pressure to be mediocre. That's why NF can be so amazing. Sometimes it's about the only place to find people willing to break out of that.

Yeah, I agree with a lot of what has been said. A lot of it comes down to jealousy, they don't feel like they have the self-discipline to do what you are doing, even though they would really want to. So, to make themselves feel better, they try to make it seem like what you're doing is uncool.

Remember when you were in school and it was uncool to get good grades? It's crazy, but it happens a lot. There is a lot of peer pressure to be mediocre. That's why NF can be so amazing. Sometimes it's about the only place to find people willing to break out of that.

Good points there, book. Another thing from school that happened a lot was people calling others dumb jocks. Like it was unthinkable that those people could be in shape and also get good grades. I think that people that play sports are generally smart and obviously dedicated people. 

Fitocracy

My Game Blog

DO IT CHALLENGE!

For some people it's a defense mechanism sort of thing. "If I make fun of/light of this before someone else, then I won't feel as bad." Those folks are aware of the choices they're making, and making them anyway, so all they can really do is downplay the impact.

Yeah, I feel like that's probably what it is. Like most others here have been saying. It's just crazy how many people do it though. Of course there are a ton of us on NF doing the exact opposite. I just wish more people would realize that it's ok to want to be healthy. Because to me it seems like some people actually become embarrassed at being on a diet or working out because someone will say something to make fun of it. 

Fitocracy

My Game Blog

DO IT CHALLENGE!

Meh. think of it as different religious or political beliefs - keeps life interesting.  You don't want everyone to be the same. 

I have some very athletic/"healthy eating" friends and boy oh boy do we disagree about athletics and eating. 

Meh.  Peoples is peoples - in the grand scheme of things, let them brag about a night of mac and cheese and 12 beers.  There's probably a funny story there that you want to hear!! 

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

I just wish more people would realize that it's ok to want to be healthy.

Eh, the people on the other side are probably thinking "I wish more people would realize that diet/exercise isn't the be-all/end-all". 

People tend to judge each other - so if you're eating a salad, you'll get mocked and if you're eating a doughnut, you'll get mocked.  And then both people want to snark back and you get those status updates. 

Wood Elf Assassin
  -- Level 10 --
STR 26 | DEX 13 | STA 19 | CON 7 | WIS 14 | CHA 14

Eh, the people on the other side are probably thinking "I wish more people would realize that diet/exercise isn't the be-all/end-all". 

People tend to judge each other - so if you're eating a salad, you'll get mocked and if you're eating a doughnut, you'll get mocked.  And then both people want to snark back and you get those status updates. 

You're speaking the truth. 

Fitocracy

My Game Blog

DO IT CHALLENGE!

I'm not sure I would go quite that far with it. lol 

I wasn't kidding. I respect people's decisions to focus on their careers, education, relationships, etc. but should they start making comments about the way I choose to live my life I cut them out. If stopping all contact is not an option, I basically ignore everything they say. This does two things. Removes unnecessary negativity from your life and makes way for more positive minded people. I've been significantly happier because of this.

"I like you just the way you are" - Mr. Rogers

In Br0din's name we gain.

Archived