Forums are back in action! ×

Passed the ASVAB

Space_Elf

So... for my challegne, my life goal was t get a passing score on the ASVAB. Once upon a time (8 years ago?), I took the ASVAB and got a 62 and that was good, but enough for any interesting careers. I took the practice one at the beginning of the month and got a 58... I was concerned and stressed. I was never very good at math and other subjects had been middling. I was so rusty at test-taking and the job i wanted required a a score in the 80s... I ended up not studying even half as much as I should've. I was sort of despairing and just hoping that I could see about re-taking it at a later date... 

I got to MEPS and took the test. it seemed to go on forever and I was sure I was failing it except for the english portions (I can do those parts in my sleep). i was dreading my score.

I SCORED 89! Woot! 

Yeah, so now I'm in the Navy DEP and I've signed a contract to be a sonar technician. I'm super excited!

Space_Elf, Fallohide Hobbit Level 0. STR 0 | DEX 0 | STA 0 | CON 0 | WIS 0 | CHA 0

Battle Log | 

Science fiction is an existential metaphor, that allows us to tell stories about the human condition. Isaac Asimov once said: "Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

I ship June 24th, so I'm going to really focus on my fitness so that I'm in shape and ready to go.

Space_Elf, Fallohide Hobbit Level 0. STR 0 | DEX 0 | STA 0 | CON 0 | WIS 0 | CHA 0

Battle Log | 

Science fiction is an existential metaphor, that allows us to tell stories about the human condition. Isaac Asimov once said: "Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

It's great to see that you're motivated and ready to go! Get fit and memorize the stuff in your DEP book, you'll be miles ahead of everyone else for the first couple weeks of boot camp. 

And if you have any questions about anything, getting prepared, whatever, I went through it not too long ago so send me a message. I'm happy to help!

Thanks!

I'm tentatively drawing up a a plan for getting in shape, mostly trying to get things memorized (11 general orders, sailor's creed, ect.). I'm also going through my stuff to see what can be boxed up and put into storage and what going to get hauled over to good will. I should be getting a phone-call from my recruiter today or Monday with more information on preparing for boot camp.

Battle Log | 

Thanks!

I'm tentatively drawing up a a plan for getting in shape, mostly trying to get things memorized (11 general orders, sailor's creed, ect.). I'm also going through my stuff to see what can be boxed up and put into storage and what going to get hauled over to good will. I should be getting a phone-call from my recruiter today or Monday with more information on preparing for boot camp.

Firstly, YES to getting in shape and HELL YES to memorizing the basic stuff. I strongly encourage you to make sure that you have everything memorized that you need to have memorized before you ship out: it will save you a ridiculous amount of stressing later on.

Secondly, congratulations and good luck!

Evicious, Khajjit Ranger STR 7 | DEX 13 | STA 3 | CON 6 | WIS 16 | CHA 4

Current 4WC: Evicious: The Unburdening II + Blitz Week!

Fitocracy! I Play To Win!

Keep up the momentum!

Thanks everyone. I take the Defense Language aptitude Battery this week or next, so we'll see how that goes. I suspect that i'll discover that I'm just amazingly good at it or amazingly bad. Still, I'm happy with the contract I've already signed.

Battle Log | 

If you do well on the DLAB, there are some interesting career options available. Keep in mind it's more to test your learning style, to see if you are a good fit for language/crypto jobs, not a test of actual knowledge or ability. So don't be bummed if you bomb it, it's not that kind of test.

But STG is a pretty sweet rate, especially if you joined the Navy to go to sea (as I did, but ended up on shore duty anyway). 

Archived