Forums are back in action! ×

A brief intro to info on my art, Swords

Michael_Blacksmith

i watched a friend of mine once do a kata with a bat'leth to the theme from Conan the Destroyer

Level 8 Half-Elven Ninja (3 Assassin/5 Monk)

[sTR 15.5] [DEX 13] [CON 10] [sTA 13] [WIS 19] [CHA 9]

"With great power there must also come great responsibility" - Amazing Fantasy #15

"Pressure makes diamonds." - Gen. George S. Patton

about.me/daniel.mccarthy Follow my blog

That's some amazing work! My best friend used to work at a place that made swords and knives, Angel Sword in Houston. He has a few that he made while there. I love the pattern welding.

"When I can no more stir my soul to move, and life is but the ashes of a fire; When I can but remember that my heart once used to live and love, long and aspire - O be thou then the first, the one thou art; Be thou the calling before all answering love, and in me wake hope, fear, boundless desire." - George MacDonald

I have been so busy filling my mind with workout goodness I completely dropped the ball on answering this thread!!! Sorry about that  :nightmare:

Rooks, I am currently making a Kilij modeled after on attributed to Sultan Beyazid, which got me to do my first bronze casting! Katanas and wakizashi I have not touched, but the concept that is similar throughout the spectrum of sword making is that the blade need to feel right for its intended purpose, and the steel will talk to you. When I am grinding a blade and am getting close to my final dimensions I'll step away from the grinder and feel the blade and ask myself what does the blade want to do? How does it move? How does it stop? Is it fast? Is it precise? Does it have authority? Is it nimble? And so on. Based on this type of feel I can determine when the sword is ready, there is a moment when it wakes up and simply feels right. Fittings help bring the swords together, but the blade needs to have merit on it's own. 

KAllen, I haven't done any fantasy swords. I have a super strong interest in history and feel that my work needs to be able to relate to a historical counter part, or idea. Plus many of the fantasy swords out there simply can't be made to balance and feel right, the proportions are just too crazy. BUT every once in a while I find something in history that is a little crazy and I just have to make! Example:

http://youtu.be/8JevwURrwQA

substix, I wish it was a hobby, it is actually my full-time profession! My swords start at around $2500 and go up from there.

Spider-Dan, If you guys are looking for a forge design or some help in what it take to put one together feel free to drop me a PM. All of my forges are home built and I've got pretty good at making them over the years. I am also thinking about putting together a basic tool set, and instructional DVD on what it takes to make a sword, so if I get a working prototype put together I'll be sure to get in touch and share with you. Also if you are looking for an excellent source of info you absolutely have to check out the dvd's from Arctic Fire 2012, http://arcticfire.mymiddleearth.com, there are some previews on the facebook page for Arctic Fire 2013 http://www.facebook.com/pages/Arctic-Fire/398768046838011 including one of yours truly! 

Race - Elf                                                STR - 3                    DEX - 2

Class - Ranger                                        STA - 3                    CON - 2

Level - 0                                                  WIS - 3                    CHA - 2

Dude, that was AWESOME! that looked like Ichigo's Sword in Bleach!

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

Thanks! I am actually hoping to put that giant glaive into production so I can drastically lower the cost as well as offer as many as patrons would like :) I mean if you are going to cut a pizza you have to do it with style! Just make sure it is Palio approved, the pizza that is ;)

Race - Elf                                                STR - 3                    DEX - 2

Class - Ranger                                        STA - 3                    CON - 2

Level - 0                                                  WIS - 3                    CHA - 2

Fantastic! These look wonderful! I was the youngest female blacksmith in my state's artist blacksmith association for a while. My dad still does it and I think it is incredibly cool. I think it is pretty awesome that you made the switch and started your own shop. Props for pursuing your passion!

This is cool and you sir are an inspiration for doing what you want with your life. Not everyone is brave enough to forgo a conventional job for something they love.

Lvl 1 Human Ranger

STR - 2  DEX - 2

STA - 2  CON - 3

WIS - 2  CHA - 4

"The slaughterhouse of failure is not my destiny."

Thank you so much for the inspirational feedback :) Things have been tough for quite a while now and it is nice to step back and see things from an outsiders perspective. 

Kudo's to you AestheticB for getting involved in blacksmithing! At most of the events I have gone to, as well as discussions that I've partaken in, it has often come up that the female aesthetic and perspective is greatly needed in order for this craft to grow and prosper beyond the age old "boy's club" that it is currently in. Hope you are keeping up with swinging a hammer! 

Thank you so much for the inspirational feedback :) Things have been tough for quite a while now and it is nice to step back and see things from an outsiders perspective. 

Kudo's to you AestheticB for getting involved in blacksmithing! At most of the events I have gone to, as well as discussions that I've partaken in, it has often come up that the female aesthetic and perspective is greatly needed in order for this craft to grow and prosper beyond the age old "boy's club" that it is currently in. Hope you are keeping up with swinging a hammer! 

Agreed!

Archived