Forums are back in action! ×

Question about measurements

minderly

What do y'all think about measuring yourself? Should I keep track of like bust, thighs, waist etc etc...and what all do you measure?

There must be a standard somewhere, right? What all to measure, how, where exactly...etc.

What do you keep track of measuring besides weight and body fat?

What do you use to measure your goals?

It depends on why you measure, if its to track progress, the main thing is consistency, the same time of day same day of the week, same place etc.  Common measurements are narrowest part of the waist and the widest part of the hips, others will measure thighs and upper arms. 

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Measurements are a great way to keep track.

I measure my shoulders, chest/bust, biceps, one inch above my belly button, at my belly button, one inch below belly button, hips, butt, thighs.

The key is to take pictures or make notes of where you're measuring so you hit the same (or as close as possible) place every time.  I'm lucky enough to have plenty of freckles so I just note things like that.

When I do measurements I also weigh myself.  Otherwise, that's it.

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

I measure waist and hips. My waist should change much but I could go down a few inches in the hip area. I find it to be less of an emotional rollercoaster than the scale, so I don't weight myself. Gaining muscle isn't going to affect my hip measurement as much as is affects my weight.

This was the best picture I could find for where to measure.

http://jas-townsend.com/measure.php

Running goal - Dopey Challenge 2015

Training to complete an Ironman by 2017. I can swim .5, bike 112, and run 26.2, separately.

Buckland Hobbit, Level 4 Scout

STR 10.25 | DEX 6 | STA 12.75 | CON 8 | WIS 9.75 | CHA 5.75

For the last challenge I measured my chest, stomach/gut using my belly button as a reference point, my waist (since my gut and waist are not the same size), and my thigh. I just used a basic fabric tape measure and I just waited to see if any measurements shrank after 6 weeks.

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

Don't know about women, but for men there is this:

http://www.mm2k.com/bodybuilding-chart.html

The Willoughby Ideal Athlete Measurements can almost be seen a tape measure based Vitruvian Man (Leonardo's famous man sketch showing ratios) for comparison purposes. Speaking from experience, get close those numbers and you look about like the Vitruvian Man aesthetically.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

Oh, jeeez. I hope that the body fat percentage calculator you use from these measurements is not true...my BMI is not obese...however, according to these measurements...I am obese at 125lbs, 5'5...

If that chart is for women or men, then I have a long way to go!! 14inch biceps?! While searching for a chart for women, a chart of healthy measurements mind you...I ran into some pretty ridiculous claims from girl websites...lesson learned. It's really hard to find healthy standards for women that haven't been corrupted by the skinny obsession.

For those of you that do measure...have you found that...you're slightly asymmetrical? My right bicep = 10, left bicep = 9.5; right thigh = 23, left thigh = 21.5

Or is this because I've danced most of my life and favor my right side?

Oh, jeeez. I hope that the body fat percentage calculator you use from these measurements is not true...my BMI is not obese...however, according to these measurements...I am obese at 125lbs, 5'5...

If that chart is for women or men, then I have a long way to go!! 14inch biceps?! While searching for a chart for women, a chart of healthy measurements mind you...I ran into some pretty ridiculous claims from girl websites...lesson learned. It's really hard to find healthy standards for women that haven't been corrupted by the skinny obsession.

For those of you that do measure...have you found that...you're slightly asymmetrical? My right bicep = 10, left bicep = 9.5; right thigh = 23, left thigh = 21.5

YES! It drives me nuts. I refer to my left side as my fat side.  My bicep is ~.5 inch larger than my right. Even my hip/waist area is larger.  So  annoying.. but pretty normal.

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

Big fan of measuring. Watching the #s go down while the scale stays the same can be reassuring. I do widest part of my bust, 'ribs' where my bra strap would go, waist (1" above belly button just so I remember where each time), hips, fattest part of thigh, fattest part of my calves, fattest part of my arm (the bat wings, lol). As long as the #s are going down, I'm happy. Also, yeah, my right side is bigger than my left. I just stick to measuring one side though.

Cee, Level 2 Wood Elf Adventurer of the Earth Kingdom

STR 4.5 . DEX 1 . STA 3 . CON 5 . WIS 8.75 . CHA 4

ch 0|ch 1|challenge 2

Yep those charts are for men only unfortunately.  If I run the #'s in chart 1 at my height through standard tape measure BF% calculators, it averages out to 11.4% (Navy - 10.6, YMCA - 11.6, modified YMCA 13.6, Covert-Bailey - 9.8).

Asymmetry is very normal and hard to change.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

According to that chart, my thighs are like that of a 5'8, 180lb man...can I blame that on being a dancer?

So I definitely want to trim and tone...however...there's no real way to focus on one area. So should I just try not to work on thighs ever and hope running and lifting with a focus on other muscle groups will just make my body even out? I'm like a pencil with two drumsticks for legs. Hm, I should probably ask that in another section...or is that a silly question?

Archived