Forums are back in action! ×

Hello from the Isle of Anglesey

Hi there!

I’m a 32 yo, 5’11 male who has finally decided to regain the fitness of my youth and hopefully exceed it. I’ve gone from the ~180 lbs of my twenties to my current weight of 217 lbs; my highest weight was 232 lbs at the start of December 2012 and that was the point that I said enough was enough.

I’m not sure how I found NF but from my reading over the last week it seems be a great website with a fantastic and supportive community. Since hitting 217 lbs I’ve hit a bit of a plateau with my fat loss being stalled and I think this is just the place for me to get it kick started again.   

So my aims:

Get my weight down to around 180 lbs through fat loss

I’m trying to do this is manageable chunks of short term goals. My current is to reach 214 lbs by the end of the month. Looks like that won’t happen because of my stall but that’s ok, as long as the weight goes down I’ll be happy.

Build muscle and strength

Although I want to get my weight down to 180 lbs I’d like to lose around 50 lbs of fat and make up the remaining weight in increased muscle.

Increase my endurance

I suspect this will come with working towards the first two goals but I’d really appreciate some pointers at this as I’ve always had poor
endurance when it comes to hard physical activities.

Pick up some new hobbies and meet new people

I really would like to increase the amount of outdoor activities I’m doing, some suggestions would be great.

How I hope to reach my fitness aims:

Putting the info from this site to good use :redface-new: Also will be signing up to the 6 week challenges.

Diet

I’m pretty much Paleo, pushing towards the low carb
side of things and it really suits me. Really enjoy eating fish, meat, eggs and
vegetables etc...

Hiking/walking

Really lucky with my location (Off the North West Wales coast in the

UK btw), got a lot of countryside, coastal walks and the Snowdonia national
park with some decent mountain routes a short drive away. Weather can be iffy
but when the weather is good it’s glorious.

Strength training

Got some dumbbells and been working on the NF beginner circuit

but do to the lack of room in my home (seriously it’s tiny) I think I’ll need
to join a gym to be able to do some real heavy lifting work. There are a few
nearby but money is tight so might take some time to find one that fits my
budget.

All in all I think that’s it, it’s nice to join and I hope we can have fun and level up together.

Hi Mabmon and welcome!

Fellow new member here, I'm over in England but about as close to the border as it gets (Bristol). Sounds like you've got some solid plans and some great environment surrounding you. I've been walking in Snowdonia, beautiful but tough hiking!

I can relate to your diet description, my diet is mostly paleo but still hanging onto a few carbs such as wholewheat pasta, I'd give sweet potatoes a real thumbs up for replacing other carbs.

As far as joining a gym goes, I used to be a big fan but recently I've realised it IS possible to do without and still do tough high weight strength exercises, and save a good wad!

RE that check out 44 best bodyweight exercises on YouTube, some are a tad ridiculous but others are seriously good. 

Like your point about setting manageable realistic goals, on top of that I'd say don't set time-sensitive goals, from first hand experience it can be discouraging not meeting a goal "on time".

Glad to see another Brit on here, there aren't enough!

Dark Elf Ranger

Level 1 - STR 3 | DEX 2 | STA 2 | CON 4 | WIS 2.5 | CHA 1.5

"There is no life I know to compare with pure imagination." - Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder)

Hi JakeitEasy,

Just watched the 44 best bodyweight exercises video, some moves I didn't think were possible. Inspirational!

Yeah Snowdonia is great, did a hike last week to assess where I stood fitness wise. It was pretty grim to be honest considering how easy a hike it should have been; still it's a base to work from and I know if I stick at it things will improve.

Hey! Greetings from a fellow Welsh/Brit (Abergavenny, south east Wales). I agree, the weather's not great but at least we have beautiful fitness friendly natural surroundings :)

Level 11 Human Ranger

"It's not who you are that holds you back, it's who you think you're not."

"Once a person is determined to help themselves, there is nothing that can stop them."

CURRENT CHALLENGE   1 2 3  4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11   DAILY BATTLE LOG     MOTIVATION

(Inventory: Fire Flower)

Winner of Adventurer Guild Challenge #26

Archived