Forums are back in action! ×

Are rowing machines good for cardio?

I'm going to be hitting the gym again, but doing the Nerd fitness stuff isntead of weight lifting.  For my 10 minutes of cardio i was thinking of using a rowing machine, much like this one, since i hate walking on treadmills and the gym doesn't have a track.

Lvl 5 Penguin Warrior:  10 Str, 3.5 Dex, 6.5 STA, 23.5 CON, 12.25 WIS, 5.75 CHA

Intro | Current Challenge Thread | Character sheet
My Personal Blog | My Food Blog

There are no failures, only learning pains

Sorry, was in a bit of a hurry when i posted this.  I mean I'm following the Nerd Fitness Rebel Fitness guide.  Level 1 has you do 10 minutes of cardio.  I was doing wieght lifting (strong lifts) before, but I'm going this way for now, might get back into weight lifting when my body weight is down.

Yup, rowing is great for that.

(If this post seems brief or anything like that it's because I'm using my phone and don't want to type a lot :))

I'm no longer an active member here. Please keep in touch:
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”

Yes, rowing is an excellent option for cardio - and it has the additional advantage over more "traditional" cardio in that it's really a full body workout, unlike running, cycling, etc - which primarily work the lower body.

Just try and maintain good form as best you can so that you take care of your back, shoulders, etc.

"Restlessness is discontent - and discontent is the first necessity of progress. Show me a thoroughly satisfied man-and I will show you a failure." -Thomas Edison

it's her automatic message posting thing- it happens every post.  

Our sportbike forumn's have an ap that says "posted by my phone via motorcycle bla bla bla ap"  unless of course you change it... which is funny- because some of them are like "posted from your mom's bed via my phone"

Yeah, rowing machines are great!  Try intervals like 30 seconds "on" (hard) and 30 seconds "off" (easy).

Also, check your form.  Watch YouTube videos, or even better, ask a rower friend or someone at the gym to check your form and make sure you're doing it right.  Legs first, then back, then arms to pull, and then do it in reverse -- arms, back, legs.  If you row with bad form you can really mess yourself up.

Also, make sure you aren't putting the resistance all the way up to a 10.  I'm about 170 lbs, so I set my resistance at a 6 or 7.  Try different settings and see what works for you.

"If we take man as he is, we make him worse. But if we take man as he should be, we make him capable of becoming what he can be."

--Viktor Frankl paraphrasing Goethe

Just started rowing the last few days and it makes the elliptical seem worthless , after 15 minutes on the rowing machine i feel like puking in a good way i love it. 

Half Drow - Level 1 Adventurer                               Stats
Strength--------4       Dexterity--------1                    Height: 5' 6         Weight: 150
Stamina--------2        Constitution---2                                    
Wisdom--------3         Charisma------3                     Physical Attributes: Unhealthy, love handles , stout 
Challenge: Level 1 Questing                                     Habits: Energy drinks , Googling everything i see

ok, so i attempted the rower on Saturday.  I lasted about 3 1/2 minutes, and I've got some pretty good doms going on in my legs.  i feel like an old man.

Like any new exercise it's easy to overdo it, you won't be sore forever.

make sure you aren't putting the resistance all the way up to a 10.  I'm about 170 lbs, so I set my resistance at a 6 or 7.  Try different settings and see what works for you.

The damper setting is not really a resistance setting in the traditional sense. Just use a middle setting until you get used to it then start playing with different settings to see what you like.

http://www.concept2.com/indoor-rowers/training/tips-and-general-info/damper-setting-101

To find piece with myself
I must first find a piece of myself

ok, so i attempted the rower on Saturday.  I lasted about 3 1/2 minutes, and I've got some pretty good doms going on in my legs.  i feel like an old man.

How's it been going since?

Just started rowing the last few days and it makes the elliptical seem worthless , after 15 minutes on the rowing machine i feel like puking in a good way i love it. 

Lol I felt the same way when I started it! It's a great machine :-)

Cee, Level 2 Wood Elf Adventurer of the Earth Kingdom

STR 4.5 . DEX 1 . STA 3 . CON 5 . WIS 8.75 . CHA 4

ch 0|ch 1|challenge 2

How's it been going since?

Lol I felt the same way when I started it! It's a great machine :-)

my schedule's been hectic, haven't gotten back in the gym :-(

Are barbells good for deadlifts?  ;)

Yes.  Yes, rowers are verrrrrrrrrrry good for cardio, as well as for imploding your ego, any sense of fitness, and soul.  ;)

Enjoy!  :D

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." --GK Chesterton

Domine, non sum dignus ut intres sub tectum meum, sed tantum dic verbo et sanabitur anima mea...

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jbaileysewell

I am not an expert by any means, but I guess that if it can raise your heart rate for an extended period of time, it is good for cardio.

TheBBP, level 1 Jedi Adventurer
STR 5|DEX 2|STA 1|CON 2|WIS 4|CHA 1

Hebrews 12:11-13
“No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it. Therefore, strengthen your feeble arms and weak knees.â€

I prefer the treadmill and elliptical to rowing. I only row as an upper body warmup for lifting. I cant stand to be on there longer than 5 minutes. 

USS & NBAC Masters swim coach

Current: lifter, runner

Former: triathlete, cyclocross racer, NCAA swimmer

Current games: Borderlands 2, Runescape, Star Ocean, Dragon's Dogma

but but but- you get legs too!!

LOL I'm bias- I love rowing- I used to row for fun for over an hour- so relaxing/good work

I guess I'm doing it wrong because i hardly feel like Im using my legs at all.

USS & NBAC Masters swim coach

Current: lifter, runner

Former: triathlete, cyclocross racer, NCAA swimmer

Current games: Borderlands 2, Runescape, Star Ocean, Dragon's Dogma

Archived