Forums are back in action! ×

Robot Combat League

andygates

How come nobody's nerding out about SyFy's Robot Combat League?   :o

Teams are given an eight-foot 800-lb anthropomorphic fighting robot, and get to beat the living hydraulics out of each other.  It's like Robot Wars had a love child with Rock'em Sock'em Robots.

The bots are steered (and repaired) by a tech and the torso work is waldo'd by a jock - so there's great TV with the bot realtime miming the jock's movements (sorta - if they're good at it).  Plus, telegenic people in waldo sensor suits is great fun.  

The bots are (I think) rigged with impact-sensing pyros for spectacle, but the real show is when they start getting messed up and there's hydraulic juice spraying all over.  SMASH! SMASH IT IN HALF!

I haven't heard of it either, will have to remember to check it out.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I watched it last night. Concept is cool but the designs and movement capabilities aren't there yet. They were slow and most hits were glancing, hence the need for the pyrotechnics. The types of injuries they were getting over and over with the arm hydraulics were more symptomatic of inadequate design and pushing too much weight with that device, i.e. it busts when too much weight is behind a punch and the line pops. It's more self inflicted than anything and its frequency indicates constant inadequate design or the show rigging the injury since it looks like they may not be able to actually hurt each other much.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Archived