Forums are back in action! ×

Upgrading my Graphics Card (FPS issue)

Ghost

I'm pretty happy overall with my computer, but it doesn't perform well enough in the FPS area during games.
I'm fairly sure the problem is my graphics card, I keep my computer clean in and clear in all senses. I made sure to get driver update etc, but when I have to play Borderlands 2 on low settings with 30 FPS (unstable) I'm not happy. Currently I'm using a Geforce GT 610 2Gb but it doesn't do the job right. 

Problem is, I'm not too tech savvy. I wouldn't know how to get my computer open, let alone choose a card. If the card is even the problem.
So I'm looking for help with choosing a good card that can run with high performance, but gives me good value (I'm not made of money).

And after that, where to get one (Australian). Or if you think something else might be the problem let me know.

Thanks for any help.

I recently upgraded my graphics card from an aging Geforce 8800GTS 512MB card to a GeForce GTX 560 Ti (448 Cores) and could not be happier. Running everything on high, and this is on an aging system too (Core 2 Duo OC'ed to 4Ghz w/ 8GB DDR2 800 RAM built in 2007/2008). With that said, upgrading just my graphics card worked wonders for me, but it was possible that I could have been bottlenecked at my CPU or RAM.

Whenever it's time to look up a new GPU, I tend to research with a few places.

Tom's Hardware Graphics Card Hierarchy Chart:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-7.html

Tom's Hardware latest version of their Best Graphics Cards for the Money:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107.html

And lastly, I go to newegg's graphics cards section, and sort by most reviews. This gives you the best idea of what cards people are actually buying, and more importantly, feel pushed to write a review, for good or bad.

Level 6 Wizard of Beer Warrior
STR 21.25 | DEX 5.75 | STA 7.75 | CON 3.50 | WIS 9.50 | CHA 3.25
Twitter | Epic Trip | Current Challenge
Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5
*the warrior formerly known as icedtrip and former dothraki god of thunder furyan*

Couple of things, are you running the game online? Is it just that *one* game? I'd have a tough time blaming the card if everything else works fine

Yes. Definitely look into other things as well. Although your GPU is typically the biggest influence on gaming, if you're bottlenecked elsewhere, a new GPU won't do you much good. Some games rely alot on CPU and RAM as well....I believe a lot of Valve games do as an example.

I haven't watched this video, but saw it pop up on lifehacker last week or so. May be of use:

http://lifehacker.com/5988365/how-bottlenecks-work-and-how-they-can-waste-money-spent-on-your-pc

Level 6 Wizard of Beer Warrior
STR 21.25 | DEX 5.75 | STA 7.75 | CON 3.50 | WIS 9.50 | CHA 3.25
Twitter | Epic Trip | Current Challenge
Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5
*the warrior formerly known as icedtrip and former dothraki god of thunder furyan*

Archived