Forums are back in action! ×

Fitocracy - does anyone use it?

Niwa

I started using Fitocracy at the advice of Armored Gallant, another NF user and I finally started logging my activities on Monday. The problem is that I am doing squats (

) and I am not sure which "squat" to pick in Fitocracy. I haven't been logging any of my squats because of that, but maybe someone who is more familiar with the site can help me out? I'd appreciate it and send you an apple :)

Niwa no niwa ni wa, niwa no niwatori wa niwaka ni wani wo tabeta.

Don't know about fitocracy, but if I had to guess from the video I'd call it a half Squat. 

Mark Rippetoe has a looot to say on Squats in his book Starting Strength. You should check it out if you want to learn how to properly squat.

Level 4 Human Ranger

The only Way to accomplish greatness is to set your goals even higher.

STR: 15 || DEX: 9 || STA: 10

CON: 12 || WIS: 9 || CHA: 6

Check out my challange Thread (4)

I use it to log workouts. It also gives you little graphs of your performance over time and tells you when you've hit a new record which is great because I'm a nerd. There are a lot of annoyances with how to log stuff though, and often the exercises I do aren't listed so I just wing it. I write everything down in a journal anyway, I just want to see the graphs! And half the time what I call an exercise is not what someone else would call it. So as long as I know what I'm talking about, I'm happy.

For those squats in the video, type in "Body Weight Squat". I'm not sure why it's not at the top for me, but if you scroll through all the types of squats, there should be one that is exactly "Body Weight Squat".

In general, I like Fitocracy, but my two gripes are: the tracking thing is a little wonky and stuff doesn't pop up when you type it in (as above). And there's is a lot of that kind of unhealthy workout stuff going on like, "I'm not feeling sore, am I doing it wrong?" or the one that really makes my blood boil "nothing tastes as good as skinny feels". So just watch out. Take it with a grain of salt.

Amazon Warrior

29, F, 5'11 ft, 159lbs

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5

I use Fitocracy too.  A lot of the exercises I do with my trainer aren't in the database, so I pick the one that looks closest and then add a more detailed description in the notes.  The only problem with that method is that you may be able to do more weight on one modification rather than the other, so it does kinda screw up tracking personal records over time which is fine for me but maybe not for you.

So if it were me, I'd just add body squats and make a note that said "bench assisted"

Sericite

----

Current ChallengeTwitter, Fitocracy, Goodreads

Main Quest: To lose 100 pounds

3%
3%

I'm on Fitocracy too - half expected to find an NF group on there.

There is! 

I used Fitocracy briefly, then quit because I changed my exercise routine a bit and my new stuff was too hard to track. I might go back to it one day.

Avalonna, level 3 Half-Elf Adventurer RangerCurrent challenge & spreadsheet • First challenge • Second challenge â€¢ Third challenge • Fourth challenge • Twitter • Tumblr Nerd Fitness: "This is the place to be healthy with others who know how to field strip a light saber and read elvish while explaining the dynamics of sub-space as it relates to a warp field." - tanktimusSTR 7 ~ DEX 2 ~ STA 6 ~ CON 8 ~ WIS 4 ~ CHA 3

I've been using it (danFancier) since it went mostly public. It's fun and it lets you keep track of a wide range of workouts too. I also like how my RunKeeper data is synced up with Fitocracy. They have an app too which seems to work pretty well.

Ras'taban

Level 3 Half-Orc Ranger

STR 9 | DEX 2 | STA 5 | CON 4 | WIS 7 | CHA 2

All that is gold does not glitter,

Not all those who wander are lost;

The old that is strong does not wither,

Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

j.r.r. tolkien

I use it to log workouts. It also gives you little graphs of your performance over time and tells you when you've hit a new record which is great because I'm a nerd. There are a lot of annoyances with how to log stuff though, and often the exercises I do aren't listed so I just wing it. I write everything down in a journal anyway, I just want to see the graphs! And half the time what I call an exercise is not what someone else would call it. So as long as I know what I'm talking about, I'm happy.

I do the same thing, just without giving away my data to some random nerd in the us, who does whoknowswhat with it. Does sound like a great statistics tool though. 

Level 4 Human Ranger

The only Way to accomplish greatness is to set your goals even higher.

STR: 15 || DEX: 9 || STA: 10

CON: 12 || WIS: 9 || CHA: 6

Check out my challange Thread (4)

Archived