Forums are back in action! ×

Getting fit for Tomb Raiding ;)

Hey guys/girls,

I've been lurking about the forums for a few days, reading and soaking in all the articles and success stories (zomg Staci!), so it's time to say hi, get in gear, and get moving! :)

Until about 5 years ago I was massivley underweight, 140lb for a 6'4" bloke is pretty skinny:(. I've since added another 75lb, making me a healthier 215lb. However, the increased weight did not result in increased strength or fitness. Everyone around me says I look better now, but I don't FEEL better. If anything, I feel less fit than before. Rapid movements, lifting and pulling, and simply moving about feels like I'm shifting a huge weight. Having just turned 30, I feel like I'm using a body twice that age haha!

Compounding this, having just played the new Tomb Raider (which is completely epic btw, deffo check it out), it is amazing to watch Lara's agility and strength (and the crazy mocap actress that would have modelled the moves). It probably sounds stupid as hell, but I want some of that agility and strength. I want the ability to move, vault, climb, run etc like I weigh nothing at all, just like she can!

WELL TODAY IS D-DAY!

I'm going on a expedition (not a real one, a psychological one:P), so I need to get prepped! The ground rules are;

1. "Tombs Raided" = goals completed. Eg getting my first full press up. I'll decide the "tomb" to be raided, and that will be the focus until completion.

2. "Area's completed" = a group of tombs/goals. eg Egypt might be 2/3 fitness or nutrition goals and 1 lifestyle change. I'm gonna keep the format as close to the challenges as possible in order to participate.

3. "Enemies encountered" = problems/barriers to goal completion. This is where I'll list anything troubling/slowing me down. I might need some assistance slaying these "enemies", that's where you guys can hopefully step in and give me ideas on bringing those bad boys down ;)

I'll use the first few weeks at "Croft Manor" getting myself ready for the expedition. I'll prep the system I'll use to track my progess, start making dietary changes, and generally de-clutter my life so when the next challenge starts I'll be ready to go!

Time to get me some treasures ;)

Level 1 Tomb Raiding Adventurer|STR 3| DEX 1| STA 3| CON 4| WIS 2| CHR 2|

Haha I love it!!!! I haven't played Tomb Raider, so I can't talk about it specifically, but I love the idea. Congrats on turning getting healthy even more into a video game, I hope it works out well(:

Out of curiosity (and if you don't mind my asking) what sort of weight did you put on? Muscle, fat, a mix...?

Thanks! :)

When I was super skinny my Body Fat% was about 6-7%, but my strength was super low too. 

Now I'm 75lb heavier, but my BF% has shot up to 28%. I am definately stronger than before so it's certainly a mix of fat and muscle I've added. The problem is while my weight has increased to "normal" levels, I feel a hell of a lot heavier, sluggish even.

I know primarily it's my mind playing tricks on me, as I'm now stonger than before, but psychologically I feel weaker (if that makes sense?). I would go as far to say it's really affecting my confidence, and that's why I've decided to bite the bullet and come here.

Time to tackle this head on :P

Level 1 Tomb Raiding Adventurer|STR 3| DEX 1| STA 3| CON 4| WIS 2| CHR 2|

Hey QuistixXx,

Congrats on taking the first post plunge! NF is brilliant, and will change your life for the better, something I know from experience. Good luck on your expedition!

Level 11 Human Ranger

"It's not who you are that holds you back, it's who you think you're not."

"Once a person is determined to help themselves, there is nothing that can stop them."

CURRENT CHALLENGE   1 2 3  4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11   DAILY BATTLE LOG     MOTIVATION

(Inventory: Fire Flower)

Winner of Adventurer Guild Challenge #26

I know primarily it's my mind playing tricks on me, as I'm now stonger than before, but psychologically I feel weaker (if that makes sense?). I would go as far to say it's really affecting my confidence, and that's why I've decided to bite the bullet and come here.

Psychologically, physiologically, whatever...they both produce real results and it's fantastic that you're trying to fix it!!  As to confidence, have you seen the article here on confidence?  It was how I initially found Nerd Fitness.

Archived