Forums are back in action! ×

Internet TV

eshriner

Has anyone made the change to ditching cable tv and using only your cable modem to watch eposodic tv?

What service do you use (Hulu, Netflix, AppleTV, AmazonPrime, etc)?

Do you use TED (Torrent Episode Downloader)? Any issue arise from this?

Any issues that came up from the switch?

Did you switch and then go back?

I am considering making the switch, but I still want to be able to watch Sons of Anarchy, Game of Thrones, etc.

Thanks for your feedback.

Eiric the Mighty Fez

Human Adventurer/Cleric

LVL 1 | STR 2 | DEX 2 | STA 2 | CON 3 | WIS 4 | CHA 2

Battle Log | Fitocracy | Challenge 1

IF Calculator

So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.†– 2 Corinthians 4:18

We ditched cable and use Netflix and Hulu through the XBox.  The only things that suck about it is that CBS is not on board and I get no NCIS and have to watch it at their site.  Also, you miss anything live such as football games.  I watch those at my dad's with him though.

TheBBP, level 1 Jedi Adventurer
STR 5|DEX 2|STA 1|CON 2|WIS 4|CHA 1

Hebrews 12:11-13
“No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it. Therefore, strengthen your feeble arms and weak knees.â€

We ditched cable and use Netflix and Hulu through the XBox.  The only things that suck about it is that CBS is not on board and I get no NCIS and have to watch it at their site.  Also, you miss anything live such as football games.  I watch those at my dad's with him though.

We (my wife and I) are big football fans. We have a PS3, would could purchase the NFL ticket to watch football. I guess I can go to the pub to watch anything else I really want to watch. Have you used TED?

Eiric the Mighty Fez

Human Adventurer/Cleric

IF Calculator

So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.†– 2 Corinthians 4:18

Most prime time network shows can be streamed FREE from their websites with limited commercials. You can also get an HD antenna for local channels which supposedly has better picture than cable.

I tried to ditch Comcast cable and keep their internet. The price went from $131 down to $80, then when i got transferred over to tech support to synch my personal modem, the tech guy offered me a deal of keeping cable plus twice as fast internet speeds for only $90 a month. So I kept cable. I only really use it to watch music videos and G4 until it goes off the air next month. But i can stream shows and data twice as fast now if I plan to use HULU or Netflix on my Mac/PS3.

USS & NBAC Masters swim coach

Current: lifter, runner

Former: triathlete, cyclocross racer, NCAA swimmer

Current games: Borderlands 2, Runescape, Star Ocean, Dragon's Dogma

I have in the past and am thinking about doing it again. I don't watch anything off the cable STB anymore, all internet based. Here's what works for me.

Antenna - over the air local channels in HD with EyeTV on a Mac Mini.

Netflix - both for streaming and bluray

Amazon - prime membership "free" stuff

Revision3 - internet TV stuff

TWIT.tv - more internet TVish stuff

*cough* SickBeard *cough*

I have a media server with about 10TB of space where I have ripped all of my Bluray's, old HD-DVD's and DVD's....and TV Shows  *cough*  SickBeard *cough* . Everything is streamed to my TV via XBMC.

Level 6 Wizard of Beer Warrior
STR 21.25 | DEX 5.75 | STA 7.75 | CON 3.50 | WIS 9.50 | CHA 3.25
Twitter | Epic Trip | Current Challenge
Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5
*the warrior formerly known as icedtrip and former dothraki god of thunder furyan*

We (my wife and I) are big football fans. We have a PS3, would could purchase the NFL ticket to watch football. I guess I can go to the pub to watch anything else I really want to watch. Have you used TED?

What is TED?

TheBBP, level 1 Jedi Adventurer
STR 5|DEX 2|STA 1|CON 2|WIS 4|CHA 1

Hebrews 12:11-13
“No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it. Therefore, strengthen your feeble arms and weak knees.â€

When I was at my old apartment I was leaving as cheaply as I could- which ment- no heat- no ac and no cable.

Internet only- I was more than happy with netflix (I LOVE bad movies/shows) and I had another streaming site I used too- it was great. I loved it.

Now I live with TV and a couch- so I don't do the net flix as much- but if we were to get the computer hooked up to the TV again at some point- guess what- I'd be back to the interwebz- I hate commercials. 

god bless netflix and season 3 of archer

What is TED?

Torrent Episode Download. Allows you to download Episodic Television from Torrents. 

Eiric the Mighty Fez

Human Adventurer/Cleric

IF Calculator

I haven't yet, but here's my plan. Use Amazon Video and Netflix on the PS3. Connect Laptop/PC to television. Stream videos from t.v. channels main websites. Problem solved with little cost. (:

I like that thought. I have a PS3. Buddy of mine who has made the jump says he loves it. Uses a service called. PlayOn. He says it id pretty good, but can be a little sketchy over WiFi. 

Eiric the Mighty Fez

Human Adventurer/Cleric

IF Calculator

We ditched cable last summer and use Hulu and Netflix.  For anything not on those websites I either go to their website or stream it from other websites.  I do not download or rip them, just watch them straight from websites that have them.  Project Free TV is a good place, as is TV Links.

I have been kicking around the idea of using a Leaf Antenna to get the free channels floating in the airwaves as well as a Roku player, but do not have either of those.  Hulu, Netflix and finding shows online seem to serve us pretty well.

Dwarf Ranger STR 3 // DEX 2 // STA 2 // CON 4 // WIS 2 // CHA 2"It's Simple, so says the Captain;Face Forward,Move Slow,Forge Ahead.Onward! Onward! Onward!"

We did this for awhile and it was honestly fine but the only thing I missed was seeing new episodes when they came out. 

"It's always the ones that don't do anything that try to bring you down" - Henry Rollins

"There is no meantime, there is only now" - The Ditty Bops

Trail Blazing Elf Ranger Sumdawgtwigg Level 3  STR-3 DEX-4 STA-4 CON-3 WIS-5 CHA-2

Fitocracy

My Game Blog

DO IT CHALLENGE!

We did this for awhile and it was honestly fine but the only thing I missed was seeing new episodes when they came out. 

Hulu has a bunch of shows that are available the day after they air.  

Dwarf Ranger STR 3 // DEX 2 // STA 2 // CON 4 // WIS 2 // CHA 2"It's Simple, so says the Captain;Face Forward,Move Slow,Forge Ahead.Onward! Onward! Onward!"

Archived