Forums are back in action! ×

CALLING ALL D&D NERDS

Rathrune

This post is intended to gauge the interest of creating a play-by-post Dungeons and Dragons game on these boards.

While many of you may have played a tabletop Dungeons and Dragons game, a poplar method these days is doing so on the forums, where you type out your actions, conversations, and the general role playing that goes on in a Dungeons and Dragons game.

A play by post is beneficial to newer players, and those who may be too shy to role play in real life. It also offers the benefit of being able to role play on YOUR time and does not require a group of people to be together at once.

I will be the DM of this game. You can call me Rathrune. I have extensive experience DMing both real life and online D&D games for over 10 years. If you are interested in playing, here are the general guidelines and requirements I'm asking of each player.

1. Be able to commit to a BARE BONES minimum of one post per week (with most players wanting one post per day...which is HIGHLY preferred and makes the game much more fast-paced): a post does not mean "I swing my sword at the troll." You want to incorporate details, as much detail as possible to make an entertaining post. Example shown below:

"Ardoun grunted as he fended off the trolls attack, stepping sideways to let the monsters weight carry him to the dirt. "Hah, you'll have to do better than that fiend! No one survives the strength of my hammer!" He lifted the glorious weapon in the air with both hands, and for a moment the troll could only see majestic beauty....the sparkle of the sun gleaming off the hammer....the blue skies surrounding his sight line...and a dove taking off....before the hammer suddenly came crashing down at his head."

2. Have an understanding of D&D 2nd edition rules. I know, I know, old school but its the best edition by far without getting insanely complicated.

3. Ask anyone who has had me as a DM, if you try to power-game or God-Mode, I WILL kill your character. Be respectful of other players, the DM, and yourself.

4. Be a good writer. I don't expect the next Stephen King, but you should be competent in grammar, spelling, context, tense, etc.

5. HAVE FUN. These play by posts games are enormously entertaining and a TON of fun for even a casual D&D player

Without getting too involved, these are the basic requirements. There are players handbooks available online if you need them (will post links if needed).

Let me know if you are interested! I'm interested in gathering between 4 to 6 players, with various roles/classes. Ill get into more details once I see the interest and experience levels of those who respond.

When responding, please indicate your experience with the game, and a potential class/role you would be interested in playing.

Apologies on the disjointed post...I made this at work on the iPad while working. Future posts should be much smoother. Hope to hear from you!

In Good Gaming,

Rathrune

I got the crosslink.

I'm in. Rathrune knows my experience (he's an RL friend of what, 20 years?), but for you other guys, I've played D&D on and off for about 10 years, most of that in 2nd edition, both on forums and tabletop. During the first 5, I was playing in play by post (PbP) games consistantly and toward the end of that I was a moderator for a PbP website.  I've also DM'd games on the forums. I haven't played in about 3 years.

I've played with Rathrune in every role, myself as a DM, he as a DM, but most often with both of us as players.  He's all about having fun and will give us a great time.  He is not kidding, he will crush you with a random boulder from the heavens if you try to GOD-mode (bascially exploiting the holes in the rules on purpose instead o fplaying in the spirit of the game), so don't do that, you'll grow attached to your character.

I'm interested in playing a mage. I have digitial copies of a few of the books if anyone would like them, PM me with you e-mail address.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I'm totally in.  I'll provide more shortly. was commenting to subscribe to thread.

there is never a sudden revelation, a complete and tidy explanation for why it happened, or why it ends, or Why or Who you are. you want one and I want one, but there isn't one. it comes in bits and pieces, and you stitch them together wherever they fit, and when you are done you hold yourself up, and still there are holes and you are a rag doll, invented, imperfect. and yet you are all that you have, so you must be Enough. there is no other way.

Marya Hornbacher, Wasted: A Memoir of Anorexia and Bulimia

Sorry to hear you won't be joining us, jofalltrades!  I can promise an incredibly epic experience....and possibly cookies.

James, please provide your experience level and the class/role you're interested in playing.

Thanks to all the responses thus far; looking forward to seeing more.  I'll most likely give it a day or two to see what type of response we have and then move forward from there.

- Rathrune

I have no direct experience with D&D, I've played Vampire the Masquerade and am in a game of Star Wars: Edge of the Empire currently but I definitely want to be involved. I'd want to play as some form of fighter, melee based basically :P

"We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us."

-- Charles Bukowski

Ugh. You had to promise cookies. Allllllllllright, can I tentatively say I'll play? Especially if we're just looking at a weekly (or daily) post?

Anyway, I've been playing D&D for about 15 years. I started with 2nd, moved into 3rd and 3.5 kind of late (but now love 3.5), and have been playing 4th for the past two years (against my will). This also means I am horribly out of practice with 2nd, but can get my hands on the books (between my sister and I we own almost all of them). I'm a huge fan of the 2nd edition bard class, but will also play a rogue or a figher-type if needed. I've also been doing forum-based and chatroom-based role playing since for about as long, though haven't done a whole lot recently. I used to be a Rhydin (sp? god it's been a long time) regular on AOL. I've also experienced a lot of different systems such as Mutants and Masterminds, Shadowrun, Kult, Star Wars d6, home-made d20 systems, and more I'm probably forgetting.

I'm also not a rules-nut. I just love playing characters and experiencing good stories. So no worries about god-moding with me.

I've also been a DM on and off since middle school.

Anything else?

Storytelling Rebel
| Blog | Twitter

"“You've seen my descent, now watch my rising." ~ Rumi

Ugh. You had to promise cookies. Allllllllllright, can I tentatively say I'll play? Especially if we're just looking at a weekly (or daily) post?

Anyway, I've been playing D&D for about 15 years. I started with 2nd, moved into 3rd and 3.5 kind of late (but now love 3.5), and have been playing 4th for the past two years (against my will). This also means I am horribly out of practice with 2nd, but can get my hands on the books (between my sister and I we own almost all of them). I'm a huge fan of the 2nd edition bard class, but will also play a rogue or a figher-type if needed. I've also been doing forum-based and chatroom-based role playing since for about as long, though haven't done a whole lot recently. I used to be a Rhydin (sp? god it's been a long time) regular on AOL. I've also experienced a lot of different systems such as Mutants and Masterminds, Shadowrun, Kult, Star Wars d6, home-made d20 systems, and more I'm probably forgetting.

I'm also not a rules-nut. I just love playing characters and experiencing good stories. So no worries about god-moding with me.

I've also been a DM on and off since middle school.

Anything else?

OK, this would be awesome if true, but would you be one of the Red Dragon Inn peeps from the AOL times?

edit: That was my first exposure to roleplaying in any sense. I started D&D on a forum called Medieval Fantasy Roleplay (MFRP) VERY briefly, as in I think my first post was one of the last 10 posts before they shut down, then I moved over to a forum called Adventures in Roleplaying before the death of msn groups shut that one down as well.

500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I've played only fourth edition, I will consider playing. I would like to browse through the second edition books, see how different they are.

I'm not sure how often I would be able to post, hence my consideration...
but i love to roleplay and I've been wanting to know how to PbP for a while now...

Human Adventurer

Level 0

|| STR: 0 || DEX: 0 || STA: 0 || CON: 0 || WIS: 0 || CHA: 0 ||

---

"I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death."

Those of you interested in getting the player's handbook pm me your e-mail address.

500 / 330 / 625

Man, I used to play D&D back in the day (I have no idea what version though.  I remember we were pretty excited when we got some AD&D books if that dates it?  It was approximately 20 years ago).  It has been a long, long time since I've played any though.  In this article, those books under the "Advanced Dungeon and Dragons 2nd Edition" sub title look familiar.

I feel like I might be pretty noobish but I'm intrigued.  I can commit the time (unless I get sent to the field for 2-3 weeks, which is pretty rare these days) but don't want to drag the party down.

If I was to play it would likely be a melee type.  I have some scattered memories of playing a paladin in the past...   

Edit to say: I'm not sure if this matters or not but I've been playing Elder Scrolls games for quite a while (well, since Morrowind.  I didn't play Arena or Daggerfall) 

Level 2 Half-Orc Ranger

STR 4|DEX 2.6|STA 5.8|CON 8|WIS 2|CHA 3

MyFitnessPal|My Endomondo

If you had THAC0, you had AD&D.

Did some reading and it was AD&D.

However, if memory serves correctly that's a pretty core part of the game that I couldn't remember, so that should show just how much I remember of it. 

Still, if you don't end up full I'd be interested if it won't make it no fun for everyone else.

Level 2 Half-Orc Ranger

STR 4|DEX 2.6|STA 5.8|CON 8|WIS 2|CHA 3

MyFitnessPal|My Endomondo

I'm up for it; my games group hasn't run any D&D for a while now and I'm missing it like crazy.

I don't have a preference as to what I want to play as, I'm good with almost anything and like keeping a balanced team more than I like choosing exactly what I am. Once we get a little more finalised you guys can tell me what we need or what could be useful. 

Level 1 Gnoll.  Druid at heart, training with the Scouts

STR 3|DEX 1|STA 3|CON 2|WIS 4|CHA 2

Good? Evil? Let's just say I'm chaotic stupid 

Everyone,

Thank you for the responses thus far. I can easily say we have more interest than I have slots available for this particular game. I may run a second game, but let me get this one up and running first.

I will select the players for this first game in another day or so. I will have those players contacted privately to begin the character creation process. I will also add another post that goes into more detail about my rules and philosophies as a DM, and to give you a better idea how I run my games. This will all provide a smooth transition into the game itself.

Right now if you are planning on playing, I would start reading up on 2nd edition rules. CoreyD has the 2nd edition players handbook for anyone wanting to brush up, just send him your email. I do have some custom rules, which make the game easier and more fun for the player; those will be included in my next post.

Looking forward to this, it is going to be epic!

In good gaming,

Rathrune

I would be game to join in. Haven't played since my college days but be worth a shot. I think I would play a ranger just to keep with my NF character.

Level 0 Human, Monk

82%
82%
Lose 75 lbs

Startin Fresh

"Nothing is ever easy." Zeddicus Zull Zorander

"Do or Do Not, There is no try" Yoda

"Weak people face life obstacles with an excuse in their hand, strong peple carry a hammer."

Estemated 1RM

Bench: 195lbs

Squat: 245lbs

Deadlift: 295lbs

Total weight: 735lbs

Goal Weight 1000lbs

Sounds like I might be too late to be considered, if so that's cool, I'll wait for the next one.

If you are considering me, here is what you asked for:

I have played D&D and AD&D since I was 13 years old, back in 1978. I played a lot back then and some more during my Marine Corps years in 1987 or so. Overall, I played 2nd edition the most and have come to love it the most.

I have no experience playing play by post although a friend did it a lot and I read through the posts. It was Masquerade.

I would be interested in playing a Ranger, Fighter, Cleric or a multi or even a dual class of any of these. If there's a hole to be filled I'm good with that as well.

Whomever gets to play this turn, have a fantastic time and those who have to wait can still get vicarious enjoyment out of reading the posts and getting a feel for how things go.

Thanks for DM'ing Rathrune.

The Way

Better Now than Back Then

Better Now than Later On

Archived