Forums are back in action! ×

Joining for real this time

Hey Everyone,

I've been following Steve's blog for probably a year now, and almost did one of the 6-week challenges (that counts right?).  I struggle with sticking with tasks but am determined to change, just like last time.  I have had some recent bright spots that give me hope though.  But first, I'll tell you a little about myself.  I'm 37 (will be 38 in 3 days), weigh 172-ish, live outside Dallas, TX, have been married for 13 years and have 4 kids (10,9,3,1).  The four kids may explain why I can't finish tasks I have started.  I ballooned up to 195 but have lost the weight just by watching what I eat.  I haven't been real active since I have left college, but I have kept in okay shape to play with 4 kids and deal with a chaotic household. 

My goal I have decided on is to be in the best shape of my life by the time I'm 40.  I haven't made it into a S.M.A.R.T. goal yet, but I have started towards it.  Here are my bright spots so far.  Since I've started reading about the Paleo diet, I've cut out sodas (actually all suggary drinks), and french fries and it has lasted over 6 months.  I've been eating a more primal diet, but I haven't really committed to it and it feels like it's still a big task to finish.  Also, I am halfway into a 12 week StrongLifts 5x5 workout plan.  I'm excited I have stuck with it this long, but now it's getting hard (I'm pretty weak in my upper body) and I need motivation to keep going.  My specific "get in shape" goals are first to keep improving my diet, second to gain functional strength (hence the StrongLifts), then finally to have enough endurance so I won't feel like I'll die running a 5k.

I also have a whole list of other life improvements (spiritual life, financial life) I want to work on but I'm afraid I'm biting off more than I can chew.  It's starting to sound like I'm doing my own 6 week challenge.  Anyways, I guess I'm looking for friends and motivation to keep me going as well as improvements on what I am currently doing.  Thanks for taking the time to read this, and I hope to see you around.

Currently an Adventurer, hoping to be a Ranger!

LEVEL-1, STR-2, DEX-3, STA-2, CON-3, WIS-3, CHA-2

Trying to do too much: 

- improve diet - transitioning to paleo, slowly :unsure:

- gain strength - started stronglifts 5x5 

- gain stamina- doing nothing yet  :nightmare:

- improve spiritual life - pray daily, attend adoration and Mass during the week, confession every 3 months

- pay down debt - taking Dave Ramsey class, on step 2

Welcome :) I've been reading NF for about a year too but just diving into the forums as well. I don't think you'll have any shortage of supporters and motivators here, though! You've already started making changes; that's the hardest part. I definitely struggle a lot with trying to make several big changes all at the same time too -- so I don't have any advice to offer there :) Sounds like you're doing well so far though. Keep it up!

Multiclassed Knife Dancer [Warrior Monk Range-sassin and Druid-in-training]

"Tiny, but FIERCE!" -The Dresden Files

CHALLENGE FIVE HERE!

Spoiler

These are all old:

Challenges: 1 | 2 3 | 4 

Post-CNF2015 Battle Log

Say hi IRL: Instagram Facebook NF Profile

Welcome to the rebellion! We are having a meet up in Dallas April 14th- you should come out and get some other nerds behind your momentum!!!

My Blog | My Story

Race: Wood Elf | Class: Footpath Ranger Leader

Level18 (STR):44.25 (DEX):37.25 (STA):30 (CON):31.25 (WIS):31.5 (CHA):25.25

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

"Love does not throw the book at you because love doesn't have a book to throw." -CS Lewis

Thanks for the encouragement.  Hammlin, I just read your story today on NF.  That's part of my inspiration to post today.  I like hearing about sucess stories.  I guess Steve knows that and posts those all the time.  If this meetup is the marathon you were talking about in your story, then I may have to pass (I could maybe run 1 mile if my life depended on it).  It would be great to meet you and other people to motivate me. 

Currently an Adventurer, hoping to be a Ranger!

LEVEL-1, STR-2, DEX-3, STA-2, CON-3, WIS-3, CHA-2

Trying to do too much: 

- improve diet - transitioning to paleo, slowly :unsure:

- gain strength - started stronglifts 5x5 

- gain stamina- doing nothing yet  :nightmare:

- improve spiritual life - pray daily, attend adoration and Mass during the week, confession every 3 months

- pay down debt - taking Dave Ramsey class, on step 2

Thanks for the encouragement.  Hammlin, I just read your story today on NF.  That's part of my inspiration to post today.  I like hearing about sucess stories.  I guess Steve knows that and posts those all the time.  If this meetup is the marathon you were talking about in your story, then I may have to pass (I could maybe run 1 mile if my life depended on it).  It would be great to meet you and other people to motivate me. 

Only 2 (potentially 3, I cant recall if she decided on doing the half or not) of us are running- the meet up is post race! Just something to think about! I love the success stories too! Keeps me going, for sure :)

My Blog | My Story

Race: Wood Elf | Class: Footpath Ranger Leader

Level18 (STR):44.25 (DEX):37.25 (STA):30 (CON):31.25 (WIS):31.5 (CHA):25.25

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

"Love does not throw the book at you because love doesn't have a book to throw." -CS Lewis

Archived