Forums are back in action! ×

First serious day of VFF wear today

SSquirrel

So I had 4 cousins visiting from England today and I took them and my 2 daughters to the Louisville Zoo.  I've had my Bikilas for about a week and a half or 2 and so far I've mostly worn them around the house for breaking in purposes and out to dinner a few times.  For the last 4 or 5 years I've worn Birkenstock sandals in all sorts of weather when I'm not at work, probably at least 60-70% of non-work time when I have any sort of shoe on.  Since I was already used to more of a fore/mid-foot strike, it was feeling like I wasn't having much transition to the VFFs (no calf pain or anything yet, already did that when I started the Birks years ago), so I said what the heck and wore them to the zoo.

...4 1/2 hours later.

Actually about 2 1/2 hours in my feet were beginning to be pretty sore.  I started sitting when I had the opportunity (altho I also climbed on some rocks and stomped various bits of my shoes into them to see how different parts of the shoe handled rocks and never felt any pain) and 7 hours later, the soles of my feet are only a little sore.  I feel it a bit actually in the tops of my feet, different bits that maybe don't get worked like that normally, but overall that was a pretty good experiment.  I'll probably still hold off wearing them much for a couple of days, but that turned out better than I expected. :)

Level 1 Satyr Adventurer/Assassin    

Age: 36, Height: 5'9", Weight: 238.6, Pants Size: 40Str 2 | Dex 3 | Sta 2 | Con 4 | Wis 1 | Cha 3

My tracking thread: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/26623-ssquirrels-list-of-everything/

Goals: 200 pounds, the old size 36 leather pants in my closet :)

Alice: But I don't want to go among mad people.Cheshire Cat: Oh, you can't help that. Most everyone's mad here.  You may have noticed that I'm not all there myself.

Yeah I wore mine again on Monday when I took the kids to the park and I made sure to sprint a bit w/them on.  Went pretty well.  There is a pretty sharp seam in the big toe on my left shoe, so while I CAN wear them barefoot, so far they're much more comfortable w/a pair of Injini Lightweights.  I have 1 pair now and 4 more pair coming from Amazon.  I like the Spyridon and as I get farther along on this fitness thing will probably end up w/a pair for serious offroad fun w/the kids.  My instep is too high for any of the LS ssytems, which sucks b/c the Komodosport LS in black/green look great to me.  The Speeds are an easy fit, altho they are the same sole as my Bikilas.  The normal laces let my foot just slide right in really quickly.  I may well end up w/a pair of those at some point too.  Keeping my eyes peeled for good sales on Speeds and Spyridons. 

Haven't worn them to work yet, altho as a software tester I could get away w/Vibrams no problem.  My boss and friends will pick on me, but they got used to me wearing my Utilikilt when they invited me to join them for Disc Golf or for Rock Band nights, so they'll deal :)

Age: 36, Height: 5'9", Weight: 238.6, Pants Size: 40Str 2 | Dex 3 | Sta 2 | Con 4 | Wis 1 | Cha 3

My tracking thread: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/26623-ssquirrels-list-of-everything/

Alice: But I don't want to go among mad people.Cheshire Cat: Oh, you can't help that. Most everyone's mad here.  You may have noticed that I'm not all there myself.

you wore a utili-kilt

that's awesome.

Internet high five.

I have a black Standard and a Mocha Brown (I think they renamed it to Coote or whatever) Survival.  I've been wearing them for 4 years now.  If you follow my family tree back it all pretty much goes back to Scotland heh.  My wife asked if I was worried about what people were going to think about me walking around in toe shoes and I reminded her I already wear a kilt, so clearly that isnt' a concern :)  I fit in very nicely at the Ren Faires we go to every year and my girls have a great time at those.  They think my kilt is awesome and my oldest is wanting some Vibrams for herself.  Her foot isn't that far away from being able to start wearing the women's sizes and she's only 7 1/2!

Yeah, Black Standard and the grey/palm Bikilas was that zoo look.  Sadly I can't wear my kilt here at the bank (I know, I asked HR as soon as I started), even tho I'm in the slackest division that gets to wear jeans all the time heh.  If I got permission, I'd wear my Utilikilt as often as I could.  They'r eboth a tight fit right now tho, hence the plan to work out.  Fuck wearing shorts all summer, I want to wear my Utilikilts *grin*

Archived