Forums are back in action! ×

Annoying comments you hear all the time

"Ewww, why would you ever want to work out?" 

This one left me speechless and to this day about a week later I have no response to the absurdity of this question.

To be awesome!!

To do something hard!

To prove to myself that I can do this!

Just a guy on a journey - Battle Log

If you spend too much time thinking about a thing, you'll never get it done - Bruce Lee

Be honest with yourself and ethically pursue your happiness - Laz

Conversely, really short people get opposite comments. "Can you reach that?" "Man, you're short." "You own a stepstool?" And more short jokes than I can even remember.

I'm 5'2"; you'd think that I was like 3' from the way people talk sometimes.

I'm 5'0... It's not so much the comments that get me. It's going to parties and people propping up on me or better yet, setting their beer cans on my head.

I am a Vegetarian and the most common comment I get is "So what do you eat?" People act as if meat is the only food source in the world. Its getting to the point where the next time someone asks that I am going to say "Souls, I eat souls."

Another one is "Why are you Vegetarian? You are so skinny already" or this one"That is why you are so thin, you have to eat meat to get muscle." then the go on talking about protein in which they have no clue what they are saying.

It always makes me laugh when overweight unhealthy people try to give me nutrition advice.

"Souls, I eat souls."

I literally laughed out loud, and that does not happen often just by reading posts on the internet!  Thank you, souleater.

CatElf

Guest CyborgNinja

"Ewww, why would you ever want to work out?" 

This one left me speechless and to this day about a week later I have no response to the absurdity of this question.

"Because I have to get really strong so I can exterminate all of the useless couch potatoes, that way real people will have more space and resources to live their lives."

I'm 5'0... It's not so much the comments that get me. It's going to parties and people propping up on me or better yet, setting their beer cans on my head.

THIS

Oh yes. Yes, yes, yes. I had so many friends in HS that would be like "you're the perfect height to rest my arm!" No, get your damn elbow off my head.

Lvl. 3 Gnome

STR - 4.25/DEX - 2.5/STA - 6.25/CON - 5.5/WIS - 9/CHA - 7.25

Tumblr

Current Challenge / Challenge 2 / Challenge 1

"She believed in dreams, alright, but she also believed in doing something about them...

When Prince Charming didn't come along, she went over to the palace and got him."

- Walt Disney

I have no idea if this one has been said already, but: "I can't believe you eat that many eggs, you should really watch your cholesterol!"

Sorry, but my hardboiled eggs are a whole hell of a lot better for me than your powerbar!

Lvl 1 Elven Minotaur Druid
Str: 3 |Dex: 1 |Sta: 4 |Con: 3 |Wis: 2 |Cha: 2

"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty." Capt Malcolm Reynolds

"When you do something, you should burn yourself up completely, like a good bonfire, leaving no trace of yourself", Shunryu Suzuki

"Why do we fall down, Bruce? So we can learn to pick ourselves up again." Thomas Wayne

My second-ish challenge: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/29825-harness-rebooted/
Guest CyborgNinja

I have no idea if this one has been said already, but: "I can't believe you eat that many eggs, you should really watch your cholesterol!"

Sorry, but my hardboiled eggs are a whole hell of a lot better for me than your powerbar!

If they're store eggs that's up for some debate, but I understand your frustration.

Well, eating a gazillion eggs for protein intake when you're going to chow down on some greek yoghurt and chicken breast the same day you're likely to supply more protein than necessary which doesn't really do jackshit for you. Same reason why multivitamun supplements and the likes are mostly pretty unnecessary. Law of diminishing returns.

And whether they're "better" is completely dependant on context. (rest of the diet, macro content of that bar, individual components ect.) The notion that something is inherently "better" or "worse" is a false dichotomy.

“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.†- Vince Lombardi

Wolf, level 1 Vampire assassinSTR 2|DEX 3|STA 2|CON 3|WIS 3|CHA 2

Wolfish Philosophy

Current challenge

"You should be careful eating so many oranges and lemons. The acid is bad for your teeth." Said to me by people drinking a soda and smoking a cigarette.

You eat lemons? *pucker*

I think some people just make up health tips out of a lot of little bits of information. Actually, I think this is how most health articles in women's magazines are written. Found one in Women's Day that had "paleo" recipes that included beans and potatoes. Yeah, NOT paleo. 

level 1 Amazon. Scout at heart, training with the Adventurers.
STR 1 / DEX 1 / STA 2 / CON 4 / WIS 4.5 / CHA 4.5

It actually kind of bothers me that when it comes to women's health articles 90% of what you see are just how to fit conventional beauty standards via diet trends, (outdated) exercise advice and skin care, all of which are a part of health, but not the end all be all of health. Even when they're actually giving good advice it's wrapped in a shell of "do this to be sexy" not "do this to be healthy." It just annoys me. I wonder if men's health articles are the same way.

I think some people just make up health tips out of a lot of little bits of information. Actually, I think this is how most health articles in women's magazines are written. Found one in Women's Day that had "paleo" recipes that included beans and potatoes. Yeah, NOT paleo. 

My bad, it was Shape magazine. That makes it even worse, doesn't it? 

http://www.shape.com/healthy-eating/meal-ideas/10-easy-paleo-diet-recipes

level 1 Amazon. Scout at heart, training with the Adventurers.
STR 1 / DEX 1 / STA 2 / CON 4 / WIS 4.5 / CHA 4.5

According to Eaton, who actually conducted the original '85 study that started "Paleo" conceptually they actually did and still do and "Paleo" is actually not universally defined but used as a template differently by various authors and community members. I'd be careful about framework conceptions, they are nigh never written in stone but subject to interpretation. (a more recent study by the same author for reference)

“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.†- Vince Lombardi

Wolf, level 1 Vampire assassinSTR 2|DEX 3|STA 2|CON 3|WIS 3|CHA 2

Wolfish Philosophy

Current challenge

I don't like being told I squat too low. Guys whom I can outlift can keep their opinions to themselves. Especially when those opinions are annoyingly unhelpful.

And seriously, how is the leg press working *more* muscles than (barbell) squatting? I mean, how can you even *think* that? o.O

My comment to leg pressers is to stand up, assume the same position as you have on the machine and tell me when you are going to use those muscles again.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

I've been following the SL 5X5 program, which of course includes deadlifts. Everyone I've talked to about it insists on telling me how bad I'll f%$k up my back if I keep doing them. I've got a pretty thick skin (or dense skull, one of the two), so I just take their comment as proof that I can perfect my form, be a successful deadlifter, and prove them wrong. It's still irritating, though...

"if unwilling to rise in the morning, say to thyself, 'I awake to do the work of a man.'"  - Marcus Aurelius

"[...] and having made the attempt, you must succeed in it. 'Must' is the word." - Abraham Lincoln

I get annoyed by the simple, "Oh, you've been working out?  How much weight have you lost?"

My response, "That's not my goal.  I'm just trying to maintain a healthy lifestyle."  I'm really annoyed every time, though.  There's so much more to exercise and healthy living than losing weight.

| LVL1 | Human | Ranger/Monk | Neutral Good w/ chaotic tendencies|

| Male | 33 years | 5'7" |168 lbs | Right-handed |

| STR: 3 | DEX: 2 | STA: 3 | CON: 2 | WIS: 4 | CHA: 2 |

Progress Photos Album

Character attributes: Especially self-critical and self-condemning.  Possesses strong polymathic potential, but circumstances, time and the will toward achieving that potential remain in constant fluctuation. Indecisiveness leads to indecision and determination must be coupled with foreseeable goals. Emotional quotient and empathic ability is high.  However, with indifferent resignation, can be detached from people and places .   

"You should be careful eating so many oranges and lemons. The acid is bad for your teeth." Said to me by people drinking a soda and smoking a cigarette.

Well... my wife tells me the same. She's a dental hygienist and explains that the acids in foods do have a detrimental effect to your teeth, so be sure to drink lots of water to rinse the acids after eating.

| LVL1 | Human | Ranger/Monk | Neutral Good w/ chaotic tendencies|

| Male | 33 years | 5'7" |168 lbs | Right-handed |

| STR: 3 | DEX: 2 | STA: 3 | CON: 2 | WIS: 4 | CHA: 2 |

Progress Photos Album

Character attributes: Especially self-critical and self-condemning.  Possesses strong polymathic potential, but circumstances, time and the will toward achieving that potential remain in constant fluctuation. Indecisiveness leads to indecision and determination must be coupled with foreseeable goals. Emotional quotient and empathic ability is high.  However, with indifferent resignation, can be detached from people and places .   

I've been following the SL 5X5 program, which of course includes deadlifts. Everyone I've talked to about it insists on telling me how bad I'll f%$k up my back if I keep doing them. I've got a pretty thick skin (or dense skull, one of the two), so I just take their comment as proof that I can perfect my form, be a successful deadlifter, and prove them wrong. It's still irritating, though...

My back feels better after the last 2 years of deadlifting than it has in decades

sent from my Galaxy Note 10.1

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

Well... my wife tells me the same. She's a dental hygienist and explains that the acids in foods do have a detrimental effect to your teeth, so be sure to drink lots of water to rinse the acids after eating.

Oh I'm not disputing that the acid could be bad for my teeth. That makes perfect sense. It's just being told that (often repeatedly by the same person) by someone doing something just as bad or worse to their teeth that has no benefit to any part of their body is annoying. Especially when it's often said with a tone like I'm doing something risky or dumb.

"Wow, you're looking good these days.  You looking for a new wife?"

Ugh.  As if my attempts to avoid an early grave are really some sort of mid-life crisis.  It took me 30 years to find my wife; I'm perfectly happy with her, and I have no plans to trade her in!  If anything, I'm trying to be arm candy for her!

"If you get into trouble, you can always eat something, blow something up, or throw penguins." - Jim Henson

"Wow, you're looking good these days.  You looking for a new wife?"

Ugh.  As if my attempts to avoid an early grave are really some sort of mid-life crisis.  It took me 30 years to find my wife; I'm perfectly happy with her, and I have no plans to trade her in!  If anything, I'm trying to be arm candy for her!

Awwww.  <3  Show her this post!  ^_^

Guest CyborgNinja

My new peeve is people challenging my lack of eating.

I started this new thing on my roadtrip called "only eating when you're hungry," and people just cannot take "no" for an answer.

It's amazing. They actually get pissed off if you don't eat their food. They get like, personally offended that you are at the family potluck and not eating Aunt Whatsername's famous Dog Dick Pudding or whatever.

You already spent money on it, you put a lot of work into it, yadda yadda - that's nice, I get it, but I'm not gonna dump it into the already gelatinous sea of  blubber where my abs are supposed to be just so some old lady I'm distantly related to can get $5 worth of food out of her fridge. That's how I got this way in the first place.

Take this how you will, but I'm actually starting to have to explicitly state a dislike for fatties and a desire to leave the fatty club as a reason for why I'm not eating at some meals, because anything less direct results in a long and boring conversation where everyone puts on their cheery "here comes the airplane baby-boo! :D" face and tries to haggle me into eating "at least a little of something!

...Yeah, no. My response is that "I'd like to not be a fat piece of s**t anymore," and if someone around me is fatter than me and is offended that I indirectly called them fat or is offended for any other reason I just 100% don't care. What are they gonna do, spit in my food?

Another thing I'm really starting to dislike, although this isn't a comment, is salads in restaurants. HOOOOOLY crap. I've been ordering dressing on the side and ordering lunch portions because I can't even believe how much friggin' Authentic Homemade French Fry Grease Dressing people put on their salads. I order it on the side and end up using less than half of it. At the last place I was at, I ordered a salad for lunch and they brought you - I kid you not - more than half a cup of dressing. I ended up using all of a tablespoon.

If these salads were any worse they'd seriously just put a bunch of lettuce on a plate, pour gravy on it and then serve it to you.

5RdphuL.jpg

Oh the salads. I know that pain. The problem is that people want it that way. I used to work in a restaurant where salads were actually not that bad. I can't tell you how often first time customers would request low calorie or fat free dressing them complain about the lack of cheese, bacon bits, croutons, etc. What good did you think they low calorie dressing was going to do with all of that stuff?

On another note, I work with a woman we call the food police. I could write a book based off of her annoying comments alone. One of my recent favorites is this: she sees me eating raisins and goes on and on about how they're just glorified candy. A week later she's eating them and going on and on about what a good source of iron and potassium they are.

That and my preferred choice of exercise being bellydance means I hear a ton of annoying comments. My favorite is that after ten years of dancing people still think my husband must view it as some sort of novelty sex trick. Seriously, if that's all there was to bellydance how have I been studying it for that long? Does it not dawn on people that it is an art just like any other dance form? I imagine burlesque and pole dancers deal with that too.