Forums are back in action! ×

Annoying comments you hear all the time

Annoying to me:

So you really have a heart problem?

No, I don't I just have a pacemaker, defibrillator thing in my chest for the hell of it. (maybe one of theses that will be my actual response)

My wife has a service dog who goes everywhere with her. So we hear from folks..I want to take my dog with me. Well first become disabled...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

One I've heard a few times at the gym since I started going there.  I just started SL5x5 and started empty bar.

"Why are you using so little weight?  You won't get stronger that way"

My answer has been honest.

"I'm just starting and learning and want to make sure I have the mechanics of it down before I try throwing 300lbs on my shoulders"

level 4 Gnoll warrior
STR 6|DEX 5|STA 4|CON 5|WIS 5|CHA 2

Building a better Raev, part 1.

Goal: working set of 350# squat, 235# bench, 370# deadlift, 15% or lower BF%

Fix slight pelvic tilt, reinforce lower back to help disc issue

I hate it when people try to talk me into eating food that I don't want to eat... like, how hard is it to respect that I don't want to eat that?! It's annoying. I'm sure you've all dealt with that. 

hehe I just did this today....then again I work with argumentative children in a group home who are extremly resistant to change and almost all are diagnosed wiht ODD (opositional defiance disorder)

• Like 1

Level 0 Human, Monk

82%
82%
Lose 75 lbs

Startin Fresh

"Nothing is ever easy." Zeddicus Zull Zorander

"Do or Do Not, There is no try" Yoda

"Weak people face life obstacles with an excuse in their hand, strong peple carry a hammer."

Estemated 1RM

Bench: 195lbs

Squat: 245lbs

Deadlift: 295lbs

Total weight: 735lbs

Goal Weight 1000lbs

My father always stopped that with me and my siblings by saying, "When you're brave enough to call us by our first names, you're brave enough to go 3 rounds with myself or your mother." Needless to say both of my parents are (even now) scary tough and I still do not call them by their first names at 21yrs 0_0

I want to be as strong as I need to be. Physically, as well as mentally.

"Even a reject can surpass an elite, if he trains hard enough!" - Goku

I refuse to fail!

Ray, Lvl 2 Orc Monk

STR 2|DEX 1|STA 2|CON 4|WIS 4|CHA 2

Current Challenge

Previous Challenge
Facebook / Twitter
^^FRIEND ME/FOLLOW ME^^

My personal least favorite: "Oh, you look just like (insert any famous Asian, ever)." I've been told I look like, and this is not the whole list, mind you: Grant from Mythbusters, Bruce Lee, Jet Li, Jackie Chan, Chow Yun Fat, Rain (this one I took as a compliment), Psy, Kim Jong Il... And it was funny first few dozen times, maybe. Lately, my response has been to refer to whoever says that to me as "Adolf," with the explanation that "All white people look the same to me and he was pretty famous, right?" They get the idea really really fast, especially when I say the exact same thing to women.

I have found that nasty, scathing sarcasm is generally effective in these sorts of situations, such as:

"Oh, you're Asian, do you know kung fu?" (this is the runner up)

-"Yes, I do; I'm a devoted student of the Kalashnikov style. You're white, do you give people smallpox and rape their children and despoil their cultures?"

Do you look like Takeshi Kaneshiro? And if so, can I have your phone number? (I'd settle for Andy Lau...)

Sent from an alternate universe using Alien tech.

----

Don't Chew what you should Eschew!

My personal least favorite:  "Oh, you look just like (insert any famous Asian, ever)."  I've been told I look like, and this is not the whole list, mind you: Grant from Mythbusters, Bruce Lee, Jet Li, Jackie Chan, Chow Yun Fat, Rain (this one I took as a compliment), Psy, Kim Jong Il...  And it was funny first few dozen times, maybe.

Ah, casual racism.  Hilarious!  (not really.)

Butts.

"Americans are stupid." -I've had this said to my face by any number of people both home and abroad. I've heard it from Germans, Turks, Swedes, Canadians, Algerians... you name it. A LOT from Germans. Maybe that's just because I happen to know a  lot of Germans.

It really gets me when they say this standing on American soil, and in one memorable case, working in an American business, earning American dollars.

And they seem to mean it as in, "Americans are stupid... but I'm not talking about you." So, they must mean my parents, or my sisters or the majority of my friends. Or maybe they're talking about Steve Jobs, Annie Leibowitz, Spike Lee, Tom Waits or Oprah Winfrey. Not sure.

• Like 1

----

Don't Chew what you should Eschew!

Another favorite: "Don't complain, at least you HAVE a job."

Now, I like my current job, because I hardly have to do any real work and I get a ton of time off and a good hourly rate, but I've been told "at least you have a job" about minimum wage retail, warehouse work in a place so dusty I spat up brown sawdust-infused saliva for weeks after quitting, bussing tables at a shitty diner...  I dealt with those jobs, and finally found something I'm good at, and yes, they mostly paid the bills, but damnit, if I have a shitty job, I'm going to complain about it a little.

Can't say I sympathize with this. Definitely depends on frequency of complaining or if something especially crappy happened that doesn't normally. Regular complainers(about anything) are not people I associate with. Someone told me a great quote once and I'll always remember it, "If you don't like something change it. If you can't change it, change the way you think about it."

Why make yourself miserable?

• Like 1

"I like you just the way you are" - Mr. Rogers

In Br0din's name we gain.

That's why I found a better job in the end.  But after (and I kept rough count) 25,000 job applications and no new job, a little complaining to blow off steam helps.  And I think you'll not find many people who say "I love my job, work was great today and I'm certainly glad I got out of bed this morning."

I'm willing to say the first two parts, but until I get my espresso brewed, I am not glad to have gotten out of bed.

This is something that bothers me deeply about society. If someone actually says that you would be looked at as if you stepped out of an alien spacecraft. It's completely normal to complain about stuff.

"I like you just the way you are" - Mr. Rogers

In Br0din's name we gain.