Forums are back in action! ×

Trying to figure out my character race. Help?

SSquirrel

So I'm looking over the character stuff and even tho I've been playing D&D since 1988, having trouble deciding what race I fit best into.  I'll provide some background and toss out the stats I'm thinking of right now and maybe get some feedback from all of y'all.  :)

Currently I'm 36, 5'9 and 240ish.  In high school and college I weighed about 140 b/c a)I hadn't finished growing yet (seriously, didn't have much in the way of shoulders even back then), b)I never worked out and c)I had a metabolism that was stupidly high.  Cut forward to the late 90s and I am no longer riding a bike everywhere, spending my afternoons running thru the woods, climbing trees, playing soccer and dodgeball and diving over tables to avoid being hit.  I had a deskjob and my gf was a good cook and her parents liked to eat too.  I had been couch surfing for a couple of years and kind of had to eat when I could, so I still had in my head that need to eat, even tho it wasn't as scarce anymore and the deskjob was slowing my metabolism.  Enter the weigh gain.

I did cut things back for a few years when I was working in a warehouse picking food orders for grocery stores.  Low weight, high rep.  Single orders could easily weigh over a ton and I picked over 15 a day at least.  Then we moved from Iowa City, IA to Louisville, KY in 2007 and yet another deskjob heh.  Financially I'm much more stable now and my current software testing job is much lower stress than my last one, but I need to work out. 

Appearance wise, I have a short mohawk and I've been growing my beard some lately, making one of my friends call me a Viking one day and another said I looked like a Lord of the Rings dwarf :)  Dwarf could be a good racial pick, but my oldest daughter is 4'1 and I can still do a diving flip over her head into the pool, so I'm a good bit more agile than most dwarves.  I think my wife said Dwarf raised by Hobbits would be close.  I always loved running thru the woods, not stopping for any obstacle and just going over, thru or under things or riding my bike all over the neighborhood.  No room in our apartment to stash a bike or I would have one already.  I'm aiming to ditch the fat and drop down to more like 200 or at least go back from wearing a size 40 jeans to having 36s fall off of me again.

Here are the starting stats I'm figuring.  No the Charisma score isn't me thinking I'm pretty, it's teh force of personality angle.  I have a way of convincing people of things heh.

Level: 1
Race: ?
Class: Adventurer/Assassin
Stats: Str 2 Dex 3 Sta 2 Con 4 Wis 1 Cha 3

I'm stronger than I might look and I'm certainly more agile.  My stamina could be better, but I almost never get sick, which is impressive since my wife has an awful immune system and I have 2 kids, one ofwhom is in the germ fest known as public school :)  I tend to be oblivious to a lot of things, but I do well w/getting people together.

Any opinions on race ideas?  Dwarf Raised by Hobbits? 4E D&D Halfling w/a beard?  Something else?

PS Human is boring, I'm already that every day :)

Level 1 Satyr Adventurer/Assassin    

Age: 36, Height: 5'9", Weight: 238.6, Pants Size: 40Str 2 | Dex 3 | Sta 2 | Con 4 | Wis 1 | Cha 3

My tracking thread: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/26623-ssquirrels-list-of-everything/

Goals: 200 pounds, the old size 36 leather pants in my closet :)

Alice: But I don't want to go among mad people.Cheshire Cat: Oh, you can't help that. Most everyone's mad here.  You may have noticed that I'm not all there myself.

I was thinking Half-Ogre until you talked about your Charisma. How about Wood Elf? Or something off the beaten path? A Weemic? (Sp.?)

Also. Have you tried the Character Generator? Maybe it will give you ideas.

Yeah I checked that out and while the class thing gave me an even split of adventurer/assassin (like I expected), the average/overweight options of Orc, Lycan and Satyr don't really seem right.  Human, Medusa, Vampire, Wood Elf are the Average/Average options.  I've never really felt elfy tho :)  Wemic is interesting, but not sure about that one either.  Maybe Satyr does work after all.  Goat man w/kickass beards, love food (traditional roman myth and such) and can jump.  Maybe so

Age: 36, Height: 5'9", Weight: 238.6, Pants Size: 40Str 2 | Dex 3 | Sta 2 | Con 4 | Wis 1 | Cha 3

My tracking thread: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/26623-ssquirrels-list-of-everything/

Alice: But I don't want to go among mad people.Cheshire Cat: Oh, you can't help that. Most everyone's mad here.  You may have noticed that I'm not all there myself.

If you love running through the woods heedless of obstacles, and are a big but strong guy, how about "minotaur"?

or Centaur... I would think a minotaur would prefer running around labyrinths a little more then the woods (no nerd offence).

To find piece with myself
I must first find a piece of myself

You know, you can go with "viking" as your race, if you like. You're not limited to D&D racial options, you can pick anything you like. Something nerdy is best. ;)

If you love running through the woods heedless of obstacles, and are a big but strong guy, how about "minotaur"?

Eh I'm stronger than I look, but a Minotaur conjures images of people well past 6' and much more built than I am.  Think I'm gonna hang w/Satyr heh.  Viking is cool, but my heritage is pretty much all Scot.  The furry legs of the Satyr work there too heh

Archived