Forums are back in action! ×

Do or do not. There is no try

So after an on again/off again love affair with the gym I looked at myself in the mirror and didn't like what I saw.  I just turned 41 this year and knew I had to change, otherwise I'd be like most of the folks down here in God's Waiting Room (Florida) once I got older.  I'm not fat, but I'm not strong either.  So after reading NF for the past three months or so, it was time to get off the sidelines and get active again.  

I'm starting with strong lifts 5x5, and following about an 80% paleo diet.  (I love protein shakes, can't get off them!)  I'm in the gym to lift three times a week, and then two or three times for cardio.  

Goals:

1) Go from a "soft" 250 to a hard 250.  (I honestly don't care what I weigh as long as I feel and look good!)

2) Stick with it - not just a challenge, but a constant battle to stay in shape.

3) Use this as a springboard to bring more organization into my life, from work to personal.

4) Get off Diet coke.  Way harder than I thought.

Guess it doesn't hurt that I'm a Firefly fan (Browncoats unite!) and wear glasses. 

That is about it for now, I plan on posting workout/diet logs as they come.

I've found out that a crockpot for paleo is awesome!  Dump meat, veggies and turn on.  Go to work, come home and poof, food waiting!

Brett

Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those

poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

Welcome BlackMetallic, from an even-more-past-forty Rebel in the not-fat-but-not-strong camp! It's awesome to have a like-minded community to hang out with. Great goals --if you're interested another six-week challenge will be starting soon, think about breaking your goals into measurable doable chunks and joining! Also, ditto the crockpot for healthy eating ( I'm not paleo but I love what it can do with meat and veggies).

Thanks AverageFish!

I do plan on starting the next challenge. I'm looking at the time leading up to it (what two weeks or so?) as a primer for my body to get used to getting up early, lifting again and generally hoping to get the soreness out of the way now.  

Thanks!

Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those

poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

I too have a crockpot love. Just make sure you have a variety of herbs to mix it up, otherwise the meals all seem to blend together after the first couple weeks.

Running goal - Dopey Challenge 2015

Training to complete an Ironman by 2017. I can swim .5, bike 112, and run 26.2, separately.

Buckland Hobbit, Level 4 Scout

STR 10.25 | DEX 6 | STA 12.75 | CON 8 | WIS 9.75 | CHA 5.75

I too have a crockpot love. Just make sure you have a variety of herbs to mix it up, otherwise the meals all seem to blend together after the first couple weeks.

I've noticed this.  After a couple meals everything starts to taste the same.  I'll have to try different spices.  Thanks.

Archived