Forums are back in action! ×

minimizing soreness after a work out!

Guest welpimout

Guest welpimout

I can't believe I couldn't find a thread for this, so I thought I'd start one!

What are your tips and tricks for minimizing your soreness level after a work out?

I did my first round of the beginner bodyweight work out on Saturday, I stretched after and again last night, but my quads and hamstrings are still killer sore!

Eat right, and then regardless of soreness push through your next planned workout... It will go away with time, I have never found a magic bullet for getting rid of it, but working through the soreness generally has it going away sooner and more permanently for me.

LVL 3: Zoran Warrior

STR:9 | DEX:5 | STA:10 | CON:5 | WIS:12.75 | CHA:9

Current Challenge: Not Really A 6 Week Challenge Challenge

Previous Challenges: 1st2nd

"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. Good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."

Eat right, and then regardless of soreness push through your next planned workout... It will go away with time, I have never found a magic bullet for getting rid of it, but working through the soreness generally has it going away sooner and more permanently for me.

This. I love getting sore from a new exercise cause I know i'm working something that I haven't. The only quick remedies I know of are ibuprofen (cheating) or an ice bath.

As long as its not an pain from injury, push through. 

USS & NBAC Masters swim coach

Current: lifter, runner

Former: triathlete, cyclocross racer, NCAA swimmer

Current games: Borderlands 2, Runescape, Star Ocean, Dragon's Dogma

Foam roll.  Intensely.

I've developed this theory that there are only so many "pain points" that your body gains after a workout, and you can either 1.) Let them sit there gathering interest (DOMS), or 2.) Squeeze the bastards out with a foam roller and vigorous stretching. 

Also, if you've a bit of a sadomasochistic side (and let's face it, what gym-goer doesn't?), contrast showers can be a great way to speed along recovery.  I personally am a fan of the "Scottish" shower--as hot as you can stand while you're washing, then as cold as you can stand for the rinse.  Get out, towel off, go fight a bear.

Cheers,

P

As a preventative measure, ice baths are best, but cold water baths, cold showers, and showers where you just end with water cold also work well. They should be done soon after the workout for best results. They won't completely prevent soreness or anything, just reduce it. Once you're already sore, foam rolling, stretching, and staying active. Also, I'm sure that staying fully hydrated will help.

To find piece with myself
I must first find a piece of myself

You definitely get to a point where you LOOK for something to be sore- because as you develop- your body adapts and just doesn't get sore very often.

The only way to really make it better- is to get more fit.  :)

Once you NEVER get sore- go try something new- like rock climbing or something- you'll discover all new sore and it's AWESOME. :D

Foam roll.  Intensely.

Also, if you've a bit of a sadomasochistic side (and let's face it, what gym-goer doesn't?), contrast showers can be a great way to speed along recovery.  I personally am a fan of the "Scottish" shower--as hot as you can stand while you're washing, then as cold as you can stand for the rinse.

I second both of these, depending on the work out.  After playing pickup soccer for almost two hours some saturdays, alternating from warm to as cold as I could stand on my legs, and repeating that 3 or 4 times was a great help.

Human Ranger Level: 2

STR: 5 DEX:  3.5 STA: 2.75 CON: 2.5 WIS: 6 CHA:  5

Challenge #1

I'm not sure that anything actually helps.  Soreness will decline within a few months to just being background noise (unless you do LOL volume, but that's not something to concern yourself with at first).  Heck eventually you might actually start looking forward to it.

...am i supposed to read that as "laugh out loud" volume?  or is LOL volume something different?

Lvl 5 Penguin Warrior:  10 Str, 3.5 Dex, 6.5 STA, 23.5 CON, 12.25 WIS, 5.75 CHA

Intro | Current Challenge Thread | Character sheet
My Personal Blog | My Food Blog

There are no failures, only learning pains

My personal experience...I used to consistently get ridiculous, barely-able-to-function-normally soreness after workouts (DOMS) until I took my significant others advice to simply work through the pain. The first 2 weeks sucked and then, miraculously, no more soreness! I literally haven't been sore in about 5 weeks doing the program I'm doing, but I've seen awesome strength gains. If you're switching it up often, a little soreness is probably inevitable, but the intensity of it should lessen as long as you're maintaining a fitness regimen.

Staying hydrated is also extremely important to prevent your muscles from locking up both before and after a workout. As someone mentioned above, making sure you're getting enough protein is important for muscle repair, also.

Good luck! :)

Lvl.2 Adventurer & Aspiring Warrior/Ranger! <3

STR-5

DEX-5

STA-5

CON-3

WIS-5

CHA-5

Guest welpimout

Thanks everyone! I did take te advise of pushing through my next workout, and felt significantly better, although I did modify a little bit.I'm doing assisted lunges now (putting my toe up to my bookcase, stretching one leg back and bending thst knee while holding onto the bookcase, to make sure my front knee doesn't go past my toe) and I believe that that helped a lot as well. I'm very well hydrated, and other than needing to up my protein intake (I'm between 50 and 60g most days) I'm confident in my diet.

Thanks again!

I'm definitely feeling the strain after working out every night (from nothing to every night o_O). I've basically pushed through it, taking slightly longer breaks if I need it, and drinking tons of water during the day at work.

Current plan this week is:

Monday - Warm up, Basic body weight circuit (x2)

Tuesday - Warm up, Interval cycling

Wednesday - Warm up, Basic body weight circuit (x2 - this was so hard last night. muscle strain made it feel tougher)

Thursday - Warm up, Interval cycling (tonight)

unfortunately I won't be able to continue into the weekend as it's the girlfriend's birthday so we're out drinking and I'll be staying round hers over the weekend but I'll definitely pick it up again on Monday. Though I'm feeling it more in my legs than anywhere else. 

Proper stretching after each workout! I usually spend 15 minutes doing yoga for every hour worked. Ibuprofen helps, but can bother your stomach. I also prefer heat therapy to cold, but that is because of personal physiology.

Human Adventurer

Str: 3 | Dex: 2 | Sta:2 | Con:3 | Wis:3 | Cha:2

I've got no strings to hold me down, to make me smile or make me frown...

Thanks everyone! I did take te advise of pushing through my next workout, and felt significantly better, although I did modify a little bit.I'm doing assisted lunges now (putting my toe up to my bookcase, stretching one leg back and bending thst knee while holding onto the bookcase, to make sure my front knee doesn't go past my toe) and I believe that that helped a lot as well. I'm very well hydrated, and other than needing to up my protein intake (I'm between 50 and 60g most days) I'm confident in my diet.

Thanks again!

MORE PROTEIN!!!!!!! 

Never let your fear decide your fate.

There is some scientific research that shows that yawning is a method of cooling the brain.  The stretched open jaw and sudden in rush of air helps to cool the blood and open the veins leading to the brain.  To be blunt though science hasn't conclusively proved exactly why we yawn (as far as I have been able to find) but it is a reaction that is beneficial to the body, even if it is often associated with being tired :P

And yes... I have started yawning while working out... generally during OHP, wondering if it has something to do with the way the muscles are loaded if they are constricting circulation of blood to the brain somehow.  This would most likely cause the yawning reaction to restore good blood flow and cool the brain down.

"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. Good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."

day 4 and i'm not as sore as when I started! 

yeah I think I need to work on my breathing more. yawning at home while i work out isn't that bad but if I start going to a gym it'd look weird i guess.

Looking weird doesn't matter at all... take a look around your gym, there are plenty of people who look weird!  Just this morning I was yawning during my squat set... it just happens when you push yourself, regardless of how you are breathing.  If anyone in the gym has an issue with you "looking weird" then their opinions probably don't matter, cause you're doing pretty awesome to be pushing your body that hard.

I've not found myself wanting to yawn, but then I do tend to breath quite explosively during workouts, which probably helps. 

• Stretch after workouts
  • MOAR PROTEIN!!!1
  • Plenty of water
  • don't wuss out because you're sore, keep going anyway and eventually it goes away.

No magic bullet, just more hard work, like everything else in fitness.

Archbishop Turpin, above the rest, Spurred his steed to a jutting crest. His sermon thus to the Franks he spake: "Lords, we are here for our monarch's sake; Hold we for him, though our death should come; Fight for the succor of Christendom. The battle approaches - ye know it well, For ye see the ranks of the infidel. Cry mea culpa, and lowly kneel; I will assoil you, your souls to heal. In death ye are holy martyrs crowned." The Franks alighted, and knelt on ground; In God's high name the host he blessed, And for penance gave them - to smite their best.

There is no class so pitiably wretched as that which possesses money and nothing else.

http://notebookscrawl.blogspot.com/

Journal

Current Challenge

Guest welpimout

MORE PROTEIN!!!!!!!

I'm certainly trying! My goal is to get to 117g, but it's hard on a vegan diet (not willing to change that) unless I eat a lot of meat substitutes, which I used to avoid, so I need to do a lot iof reworking my diet to get there!

Guest welpimout

MORE PROTEIN!!!!!!!

I'm certainly trying! My goal is to get to 117g, but it's hard on a vegan diet (not willing to change that) unless I eat a lot of meat substitutes, which I used to avoid, so I need to do a lot iof reworking my diet to get there!

Archived