Forums are back in action! ×

Wow am I out of shape!!

SSquirrel

So I got sick last night and didn't get to do my planned first night of bodyweight exercises, but my stomach was feeling better today, so I opted to go ahead w/my interval training.  I haven't worked out in probably 2 years or so and I'm 5'9 239 and it mostly rides in my belly.  I put on my VFF Bikilas and walked for 4 minutes and stretched for 1 minute and by then had decided I would start my interval work off with walking/jogging instead of jogging/running.  My timer was set for 5 then 2, then 30 seconds, etc.  I made it thru 3 1/2 before the pain in my lower back had me done.  Several years back I injured my back a couple of times when I worked in a warehouse and it bugs me off and on.  Tonite was certainly on.  Oh well, progress is progress

Level 1 Satyr Adventurer/Assassin    

Age: 36, Height: 5'9", Weight: 238.6, Pants Size: 40Str 2 | Dex 3 | Sta 2 | Con 4 | Wis 1 | Cha 3

My tracking thread: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/26623-ssquirrels-list-of-everything/

Goals: 200 pounds, the old size 36 leather pants in my closet :)

Alice: But I don't want to go among mad people.Cheshire Cat: Oh, you can't help that. Most everyone's mad here.  You may have noticed that I'm not all there myself.

Get yourself a proper pair of running shoes. VFF are for people with extremely correct technique and no excess weight. For everyone else they exasperate problems.

Running goal - Dopey Challenge 2015

Training to complete an Ironman by 2017. I can swim .5, bike 112, and run 26.2, separately.

Buckland Hobbit, Level 4 Scout

STR 10.25 | DEX 6 | STA 12.75 | CON 8 | WIS 9.75 | CHA 5.75

Get yourself a proper pair of running shoes. VFF are for people with extremely correct technique and no excess weight. For everyone else they exasperate problems.

I wouldn't 100% agree with this statement... they are good for everyone as long as they have good form.  VFFs won't exacerbate problems just by wearing them, poor technique with them will.  Anyone just starting out is going to be sore, especially in VFFs as they put a lot of stress on your calves to correctly absorb the impact of running.  With bad form this is going to cause back, knee, ankle, heel, and all kinds of other issues.  With good form it will be just as safe as any pair of "proper running shoes".  So if you are going to continue using your VFFs to workout (I do) make sure you really take the time to learn how to run, which I know sounds silly, but I did track and field for 5 years and I needed to do it.  This video (

) is probably the best instructional I have found for how to do it, really take the time to watch it and do all of the exercises they say to do and VFFs can be just as safe (if not safer) than traditional running shoes.  A traditional running shoe is only "safer" for a beggining runner because it takes a lot of the technique learning curve away from running by providing a more supportive and cushioned environment where you can run in a million different forms and still be mostly injury free.

LVL 3: Zoran Warrior

STR:9 | DEX:5 | STA:10 | CON:5 | WIS:12.75 | CHA:9

Current Challenge: Not Really A 6 Week Challenge Challenge

Previous Challenges: 1st2nd

"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. Good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."

Agree with KingZora. VFFs are fine with proper techique. I ran in them when I had excess (read: 70+ lbs) weight and I didn't injure myself. And it shouldn't take long to learn as it hurts when you run wrong :)

Just take things slow. Is this your first attempt at running? You can always back down the minutes and build back up (a la couch to 5k style). And make sure to get a good stretch afterwards, hitting the hamstrings, glutes, and calves. 

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

I watched the video KZ posted, and I watched this video on the

just last week.  They seem to have very similar techniques, but I wanted a more expert opinion from someone who actually runs to explain if they are similar or different.

* I am NOT a runner.  I used to HATE running.  Since I am starting to do more Crossfit exercises, it is requiring me to run certain distances, which I am enjoying, but I wanted to make sure I have a good technique starting out, similar to the OP, and kind of where this post topic went.  I can post this in the Running forum as a separate topic if it is more appropriate there.

I watched the video KZ posted, and I watched this video on the

just last week.  They seem to have very similar techniques, but I wanted a more expert opinion from someone who actually runs to explain if they are similar or different.

* I am NOT a runner.  I used to HATE running.  Since I am starting to do more Crossfit exercises, it is requiring me to run certain distances, which I am enjoying, but I wanted to make sure I have a good technique starting out, similar to the OP, and kind of where this post topic went.  I can post this in the Running forum as a separate topic if it is more appropriate there.

I am not an expert by any means, please keep this in mind... I believe the video I posted is at least in some way based off of the Pose technique, though I am not sure which may have come first.  Personally I prescribe to using the method that I posted, but you really can't go wrong with either.  In the end it really comes down to finding out what works best for your body... as long as you start by following a well developed form and strictly learn that form, your body will make micro adjustments subconsciously to best support you.   The important thing is to pick a style from a good proven teacher (both of the above video should provide that) and focus intensely on learning and doing exactly what they say... everything else will come with time.

LVL 3: Zoran Warrior

STR:9 | DEX:5 | STA:10 | CON:5 | WIS:12.75 | CHA:9

Current Challenge: Not Really A 6 Week Challenge Challenge

Previous Challenges: 1st2nd

"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. Good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."

I'll check out the vids when I get home from work.  My legs actually weren't sore last night, altho one of my calves was very taut when I got back inside.  I made sure to stretch things out and got a good shower after too.  Bit of hot, bit of cold. 

Burizado>No worries, I have no intention of quitting :)

Age: 36, Height: 5'9", Weight: 238.6, Pants Size: 40Str 2 | Dex 3 | Sta 2 | Con 4 | Wis 1 | Cha 3

My tracking thread: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/26623-ssquirrels-list-of-everything/

Alice: But I don't want to go among mad people.Cheshire Cat: Oh, you can't help that. Most everyone's mad here.  You may have noticed that I'm not all there myself.

2nd day of interval training is tonight after work.  I made it thru 3 1/2 intervals on tuesday before my lower back pain did me in.  Tonight my goal is simple, finish at least 4 before I give in to back pain.  Slow and steady is the progress sometimes.  Yes I've been watching some of the form videos :)

Archived