Forums are back in action! ×

Hey everyone, so glad I found this site!

Hey! My name is Chelsi, I'm from the Philly suburbs. Im so excited about this website. Like others on here, I too wish I would have found this site earlier. I just read Steves article "15 Mistakes Newbies Make" and let me tell you, I make about every one of them! It was an eye opener for sure and I was laughing at how true it was, but saying "DAMNIT thats so me" at the same time. 

Long story short, I lost about 100lbs a couple years ago. (running and eating less basically). I'm obviously not where I want to be by any means, because I was doing it wrong. For the last couple years... I've been the "Shiny Objects Chaser"....always trying the "next best thing" and failing. So here I am! Im sick of always starting over. And thanks to this website, I feel like I can finally educate myself the right way and hopefully make some awesome friends and a new support group along the way. 

My main goals are to basically:

1. Get educated

2. Be consistent

3. Get my body fat percentage done in the 15-20% range. 

4. Be able to pull anything out of my closet and feel good in it. No more clothes to hide in!!

I'm really, REALLY looking for some support/motivation buddies from anywhere around the U.S.!! 

It's really nice to meet you all. 

Level 1 Adventurer

STR 2 | DEX 1 | STA 2 | CON 4 | WIS 3 | CHA 3

"Do something today that your future self with thank you for!"

Welcome to the rebellion!

By the sounds of things you have a really good attitude towards it, which you'll find common around here!! Read up on Staci, she is a real life Superhero

Thank you! I did read her story, it's actually how I found this site. Her story inspired me more than anything, it was so refreshing reading it!

Level 1 Adventurer

She inspired me to work harder in the gym, if she can dead lift what she does then I can step up my game!!

Her story was a freaking smack in the face for me! I of course thought, the more weight you lifted, the bulkier you got. No excuses for us chicks anymore after reading that story, thats for sure! 

Level 1 Adventurer

Haha I won't. I def need to educate myself on strength training before I do anything. No idea there was a whole science behind it. Like...how long you wait in between reps, and what muscle you should work on right after. It's overwhelming to me a bit! 

Level 1 Adventurer

After reading Staci's story, how could I stay away? Haha. I really dont even know where to start. But I guess thats what this site is for! :) I'd love to be a recruit!

Level 1 Adventurer

Haha I won't. I def need to educate myself on strength training before I do anything. No idea there was a whole science behind it. Like...how long you wait in between reps, and what muscle you should work on right after. It's overwhelming to me a bit! 

Ah the argument about time between sets is kinda bullshit, take a minute or two if you need it, as long as you complete your sets, that's what counts! A lot of what I've read is that you work muscle groups. Do arms/shoulders one day, legs another, chest and shoulders another day...that kind of thing. The important thing is to try a few and pick what works for what you want to achieve

Go BIG, or go home.

Ah the argument about time between sets is kinda bullshit, take a minute or two if you need it, as long as you complete your sets, that's what counts! A lot of what I've read is that you work muscle groups. Do arms/shoulders one day, legs another, chest and shoulders another day...that kind of thing. The important thing is to try a few and pick what works for what you want to achieve

Good to hear. Some of that can get a bit overwhelming. When I was working with a personal trainer...he had wait 60 seconds in between each set. He had me start off with a light weight....and then each set I would move to a higher weight and less reps. I basically just did whatever he said, cause I just didnt and dont know what the hell I am doing. Strength training...was something I have never incorporated into my workouts, cause Im just so damn dumb when it comes to that, haha. 

Yea you're right though. I do know one thing, I like free weights better than machines. Thats a start, right? Haha. 

Level 1 Adventurer

The best movements for beginning weight lifters are the big compound ones (think squats, deadlifts, presses) rather than isolation movements that only work one muscle group at a time (think curls). If you get to the point where you think you need/want some additional definition, then you can start working on the isolation stuff.

A couple of really good, simple programs to begin lifting weights are Starting Strength and Stronglifts. They are pretty similar from what I have heard (I did SS). 

If you have specific weight training questions, head on over to the warrior's guild!

Level ? Half-Dwarf/Half-Amazon Warrior

STR:21.25 STA:15 DEX: 10.95 CON: 14 WIS:15.5 CHA:17

SWOLE BUCKS: 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

This can cause huge debate in the lifting community. The pyramid sets, high reps of low weight working to low reps of high weight, and back again. It works for some people. But if you want results, heavy weights is the way to go. Light weights don't make you work as hard for your results, ya know?

Squats, dead lifts and bench presses are compound exercises are are probably the best exercises you can do

Go BIG, or go home.

Yeah - honestly I have had much more success squatting for 3 sets of 5 than when I was trying New Rules of Lifting for Women at 3 sets of 8 or 10 (I do not recommend for a beginning lifter because some of the exercises can get complex, and I found myself stopping and having to read the exercises over and over again, plus the 30-90s prescribed rest periods got tedious). Besides, there is NOTHING like the feeling of having a heavy weight on your back and getting it up!!!

Level ? Half-Dwarf/Half-Amazon Warrior

STR:21.25 STA:15 DEX: 10.95 CON: 14 WIS:15.5 CHA:17

SWOLE BUCKS: 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

The best movements for beginning weight lifters are the big compound ones (think squats, deadlifts, presses) rather than isolation movements that only work one muscle group at a time (think curls). If you get to the point where you think you need/want some additional definition, then you can start working on the isolation stuff.

A couple of really good, simple programs to begin lifting weights are Starting Strength and Stronglifts. They are pretty similar from what I have heard (I did SS). 

If you have specific weight training questions, head on over to the warrior's guild!

Thanks, I'm def going to check both of those out and head over to the warrior's guild! I appreciate it :) 

Level 1 Adventurer

This can cause huge debate in the lifting community. The pyramid sets, high reps of low weight working to low reps of high weight, and back again. It works for some people. But if you want results, heavy weights is the way to go. Light weights don't make you work as hard for your results, ya know?

Squats, dead lifts and bench presses are compound exercises are are probably the best exercises you can do

Thanks Irish! Last thing I want to do is start a debate I know nothing about, haha. So THATS what theyre called, pyramid sets. Makes sense! 

Level 1 Adventurer

Archived