Forums are back in action! ×

RiotInferno talks Music

RiotInferno

Let's talk about music, and I promise to only mock you a little bit. :)

Anythings up for grabs:

Work music, Work-out music, preferred media formats, remixes, covers, indie bands, anything!

Here's A+D's April Top-10 mash-up compilation: http://bit.ly/ZAet1A

and the 2013 Record Store Day website( because LPs rule ): http://www.recordstoreday.com/Home

Level 2 Android Assassin

STR: 4.75 DEX: 3.75 STA: 3.75 CON: 2 WIS: 4 CHA: 3

Fitocracy | Challenge Log - 1 | Food Diary

@john_anderson

I'm not sure Louisville has anyone who still aprticipates in Record Store Day, not after Ear X-tacy closed. :/

Funny.  Now that Ear X isn't around, 5 other places have started doing stuff with Record Store Day

Excited to pick up the new Flaming Lips this weekend (broke till Friday) and new Daft Punk on May 21st, which won't get here soon enough.  My kids love Daft Punk too :)

Level 1 Satyr Adventurer/Assassin    

Age: 36, Height: 5'9", Weight: 238.6, Pants Size: 40Str 2 | Dex 3 | Sta 2 | Con 4 | Wis 1 | Cha 3

My tracking thread: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/26623-ssquirrels-list-of-everything/

Goals: 200 pounds, the old size 36 leather pants in my closet :)

Alice: But I don't want to go among mad people.Cheshire Cat: Oh, you can't help that. Most everyone's mad here.  You may have noticed that I'm not all there myself.

I'm not sure Louisville has anyone who still aprticipates in Record Store Day, not after Ear X-tacy closed. :/

Funny.  Now that Ear X isn't around, 5 other places have started doing stuff with Record Store Day

Excited to pick up the new Flaming Lips this weekend (broke till Friday) and new Daft Punk on May 21st, which won't get here soon enough.  My kids love Daft Punk too :)

Yeah. Discovery is one of my favorite records to listen to, and the teases from the new Daft Punk album already sound great.

I'm really looking forward to the Notorious BIG reissue for RSD, even though I'm not too much into hip-hop.

I have 2 stores locally that do RSD, so it's sort of like christmas.

Level 2 Android Assassin

@john_anderson

Missed Record Store Day this year as I was busy. Though also needed to save money! Would have liked At the Drive In's Relationship of Command on vinyl, ah well!

Quite lucky in Nottingham that we have The Music Exchange, a mostly vinyl store which has an excellent selection. The stock is constantly changing, so it's a pleasure to go and browse in there and not know what you'll buy. That's one aspect of record shopping I really enjoy! How about you guys? How are you served for record shops?

Missed Record Store Day this year as I was busy. Though also needed to save money! Would have liked At the Drive In's Relationship of Command on vinyl, ah well!

Quite lucky in Nottingham that we have The Music Exchange, a mostly vinyl store which has an excellent selection. The stock is constantly changing, so it's a pleasure to go and browse in there and not know what you'll buy. That's one aspect of record shopping I really enjoy! How about you guys? How are you served for record shops?

I also would have liked At the Drive In's RoC, but sadly, I wasn't close enough in line to be able to get a copy.

The only thing I managed to score was the Notorious B.I.G. reissue of 'Ready to Die'

Level 2 Android Assassin

@john_anderson

I just want to share with someone who will understand my heartbreak: that limited-edition reissue of the Drive soundtrack on vinyl? With some printed on PINK VINYL with the beautiful artwork that I wanted to hang from my wall forevermore? It definitely sold out before I had the chance to snag one. And now it's probably going for exactly $1 bazillion on the internet and it makes me sad all day.

so much I want to say that it's all trying to get out of my mind's revolving door but they're all stuck from trying to get out at the same time.  RSD was awesome this year.  Managed to find a copy of Miles Davis "Bitches Brew" on vinyl while in line at one of the stores I went to.  That was a pretty cool bonus.

Some questions?

1.  I prefer to keep most of my library as FLAC files, although I do enjoy me some vinyl and CD. Which format do you prefer and why?

2. What is your favorite thing about your favorite song(and what song is it)?

3. A song that you found recently that was memorable to you for some reason

traipsing: I see a pre-order thing on amazon for a Drive OST on vinyl, although I'm not sure that it'd be pink.

riotinferno: that's awesome!  The places I went to didn't have it at all

"You don't life for be sad, no?"

Some questions?

1.  I prefer to keep most of my library as FLAC files, although I do enjoy me some vinyl and CD. Which format do you prefer and why?

1. Vinyl. It feels much more like an event putting a record on. Not to mention the sleeves look so nice. Not really a fan of digital music, it's convenient, but I find it kind of relegates it to background noise sometimes, which is why I don't like listening whilst at a computer.

2. Favourite song: I'm not even sure what my favourite song is. Possibly this:

It makes me feel like I'm 18, and an angry young man again, and discovering bands I would fall in love with instantly but stay with me into adulthood. I loved Trail of Dead as they mixed two things I liked- odd guitar sounds and punk rock. In fact, I'm going to listen to this album now!

3. Girls Generation - I Got A Boy

My gf is obsessed by kpop, it's started to rub off on me a bit. We watched this video loads when we were on holiday. I like this as it shows the vast difference between kpop and pop in the UK. Whilst in the UK post XFactor etc it's become all about 'the journey' and technically good vocals, but songs that could be sung by anyone with half a voice. And missing all of the fun things in pop. Like daft costumes. Dance routines. Hooks that stay in your head for days. I think this song sort of encapsulates all of the bizarreness of pop, with it's different tempos, yet recurring motifs. (Kind of reminds me of Girls Aloud's Biology in that respect) Not to mention the dance moves are good fun too.

Some questions?

1) I really enjoy Vinyl. It's a completely different listening experience for me. When I'm listening to my mp3 player, I'm at work or in my car. When I listen to vinyl, It's pretty much all I'm doing. Also, with 12-inch records, I feel like I need to like a majority of the album to purchase / spin it, and then I listen to the entire album. With my mp3s, I tend to only listen to songs that I like, potentially missing out out other tracks that would have to grow on me.

2) This is really tough, I'm not sure what qualifies as my 'favorite' but I think I'll go with 'Brain Damage / Eclipse' from Dark Side of the Moon. The musical bridge between the two songs is my favorite part of the album. 

Also, this:

I really, really enjoy mashups, and this seems to encompass everything that's good about rock ( the beats, the guitars, the feeling, etc)

3) Calvin Harris ( ft Tinie Tempah ) - Drinking from the Bottle. I'm not going to link the video here, as it might be slightly NSFW (nipples). I don't really pay much attention to what's popular these days, and pay even less attention to international charts. A couple months ago I went completely down the rabbit hole with Pandora's International Hip-Hop station. I really enjoy how it seems that European hip-hop has crazy house beats for their back-beats, which I think US hip-hop could benefit from.

I also was really impressed with Alex Winston (see video I posted earlier)

Level 2 Android Assassin

@john_anderson

traipsing: I see a pre-order thing on amazon for a Drive OST on vinyl, although I'm not sure that it'd be pink.

At this point, I'm just happy to get my hands on pretty art for my wall. Thank you thank you thank you. May 28th, it will be delivered to my front door. Hopefully the universe will conspire in my favor and give me a pink record. Because, duh, pink. (For the record, pink isn't really something I go crazy for... except when it's retina-searing, obnoxious pink. That and purple are two of my favorite colors.)

Archived