Forums are back in action! ×

It's Time to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum.

Hello, friends!

My name is Kris and I'm from Oklahoma City. I've recently joined the forums, however I've been reading the blog for several weeks.

Starting the beginning of February, I was 323 lbs.  Growing up, I had always been an overweight guy...  then in my 20s, I got into great shape and lost 90lbs!  Unfortunately, I fell on some hard times and ended up gaining waaaay more weight back.  I work the overnight shift at a hotel, and my days were spent sleeping, eating, playing videogames, watching Netflix, and then sleeping some more.  I was always tired, always looked for shortcuts, and huffed and puffed if I had to walk more than about 50 feet.

Sad, right?

Well, one day, things just kind of snapped for me.  I wish I could explain it.  It was like a puzzle piece just snapped into place.  I have all this time during the day before I go to work...  why the hell was I wasting it on videogames and Netflix?

The very next day I made this revelation, I hit the gym.  I lifted weights twice a week, and then walked two or three times a week.  I was a BEAST.  I think that first month I lost about 18 lbs.  As I started March, I added an extra day at the gym and began the C25K program.  Again, I was a dominating behemoth and by the end of March, I'd lost 30 lbs.

Now here we are, it's mid-April...  I've lost 40lbs.  I lift heavy things 3 days a week, and I run 3 days a week.  I'm doing the AllPro Simple Beginner's routine for my weight lifting, and again, C25K for my running.  Next Saturday I should be hitting my running goal of being able to run 5k.

I'm thinking of picking up the Nerd Fitness books and checking them out.  Many of the articles here have been very informative for me as I've been trying to find my way through this new change.

Oddly enough, I had been calling my healthy change the "Revolution"...  so when I found Nerd Fitness and the "Rebellion", I kinda geeked out.  A group with the same mindset towards getting healthy that I have!  I feel like we're long lost friends reunited again!

Good to meet you all!

Kris

Oops, I should state my goals!

I would like to get down to 145 lbs.  Of course, this might not be possible due to muscle gain.  I would like to get into the 'athlete' range for body fat percentage, though. 

My love is running.  Right now, I'm a 283 lb, 5'6" dude just running around like a crazy man.  I love love LOVE that I am able to run!  Such a huge achievement when you consider I was panting after walking a few yards.  My ultimate goal is to run the Oklahoma City Memorial Marathon in April of 2015.

Until then, however, my first 5k that I plan on running is called the Downtown Dash, and it's on June 1.  I'm pretty stoked for it.  Once I get comfortable running 5ks, I'd like to start doing some runs like Warrior Dash and Run for Your Lives.  I think I'm going to shoot for doing those in 2014.

Thank you all for the warm welcome!

Terosx, my first month I didn't change my diet at all. But after that, I've been avoiding sugar and processed foods. I'm thinking of trying out paleo, but what I'm doing is working great for me now. I may change it up if the weight loss stops for some reason.

just a suggestion, you seem to be getting bigger around winter and breaking out of it around march or february. you may have seasonal affective depression. i know because i get it really bad, it makes me not want to do anything and bang as soon as the sun comes out im on picnic, im hiking, im learning martial arts again

you might want to consider buying some SAD bulbs and a light therapy lamp. of course you are always accountable for your exercise and if you are fat you got yourself there, just as if you are in shape well done for doing the work but that being said SAD can really drain a person just as much as clinical depression so getting some $16 bulbs to fight off the winter blues and stop you eating fatty hibernating foods is no different to buying a t shirt that wickes away sweat or trainers that stop your heels rolling. it is all done for a better workout and lifestyle not a sign of weakness

• [*]Level 2 High elf - Ranger (56.7 kilos, approximately 13% body fat)[*]strength 4, dexterity 3, stamina 6, constitution 6, wisdom 5, charisma 2.[*]Challenge - run 5K straight, do 3 day exercise with weighted backpack, reach rep goal for 6 weeks, revise enough for exams; maintain code of bushido[*]"Go into battle determined to die, and you will surely live. Go into battle hoping to live, and you will surely die"

Wow, congrats on deciding to change your life and rocking it in the gym and running! Best of luck in the 5K, looking forward to hearing how it goes. 

Lvl 8 ◠Half-Elf breaking free of an Ogre’s body ◠Ranger
STR 11.5; DEX 2; STA 19.5; CON 13; WIS 13; CHA 5
Fire Flower Power-up
“Things Do Not Happen. Things Are Made to Happen†– John F. Kennedy

My current challenge

2014 - My Year of Badassery (Battle Log)

Twitter

Instagram

Past Challenges:

#1; #2; #3; #4, #5, #6, #7, #8

Ah! I'm thinking about doing the Downtown Dash, too! It'd be my first timed 5k. So nice to see someone else from Oklahoma on the boards (I'm in Norman for grad school)!

Lvl. 3 Gnome

STR - 4.25/DEX - 2.5/STA - 6.25/CON - 5.5/WIS - 9/CHA - 7.25

Tumblr

Current Challenge / Challenge 2 / Challenge 1

"She believed in dreams, alright, but she also believed in doing something about them...

When Prince Charming didn't come along, she went over to the palace and got him."

- Walt Disney

Archived