Forums are back in action! ×

Colonists wanted! Destination: Mars

marionette

So I was poking around and read about this program called Mars One. Its like a dream come true! I've always devoured science fiction novels, especially ones that involve colonization and space travel. I feel like I should rerereread The Moon is a Harsh Mistress to brush up on my Russian pidgin and submit an application.

Would you go to Mars?

Human Adventurer

Str: 3 | Dex: 2 | Sta:2 | Con:3 | Wis:3 | Cha:2

I've got no strings to hold me down, to make me smile or make me frown...

umm... no.  those pod things are WAY too small for my 6'3 self to ever be comfortable.

It is part of the plot we short people have to take over the world galaxy. If the only people comfortable with colonial habitats are short then only they will breed off planet....

Human Adventurer

The Case for Mars is a pretty good read if you want and intro to the scientific plausibility and advances that would be needed for such a trip. I would not go personally, it would be a miserable life of working your ass off for basic survival and huge risks of failure and death.  I'm just way to selfish for that. Plus, they would have to select for tiny poeple as stated just for cost reasons.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

The Case for Mars is a pretty good read if you want and intro to the scientific plausibility and advances that would be needed for such a trip. I would not go personally, it would be a miserable life of working your ass off for basic survival and huge risks of failure and death.  I'm just way to selfish for that. Plus, they would have to select for tiny poeple as stated just for cost reasons.

It would be a hard life, but personally I'd leap at the opportunity. Unfortunately I'm not 1) tiny 2) a scientist or 3) an engineer. While I have a ton of survival skills I doubt they extend to fixing a hab.

Human Adventurer

I'm out. At least when Columbus came to America he could breathe the air or eat some of the local plants/wildlife.

Mars?

No food (bring your own)

No air (make your own)

No planetary magnetic field (super UV rays)

Raw materials only (need sand? we got plenty!)

Nowhere to "get away" (can you imagine if a season of Big Brother lasted 3 years?!?)

It's a giant sand blaster (thin air + high winds + dust/sand)

Maybe I'm just turning into a negative old grumpy grump but I don't see it being worth it.

To find piece with myself
I must first find a piece of myself

I'm out. At least when Columbus came to America he could breathe the air or eat some of the local plants/wildlife.

Mars?

No food (bring your own)

No air (make your own)

No planetary magnetic field (super UV rays)

Raw materials only (need sand? we got plenty!)

Nowhere to "get away" (can you imagine if a season of Big Brother lasted 3 years?!?)

It's a giant sand blaster (thin air + high winds + dust/sand)

Maybe I'm just turning into a negative old grumpy grump but I don't see it being worth it.

But... but... we could go to Mars, you guys!

Hahah, though in reality, I agree. Despite the novelty and fame, the hardships would mean it's not worth it except to the most dedicated of individuals. Not quite my cup of tea. :)

Lvl 5 Lightbending Bard
STR: 10 | DEX: 10 | STA: 7 | CON: 9 | WIS: 15 | CHA: 5.5
"If the desire to write is not accompanied by actual writing, then the desire must be not to write." - Hugh Prather

Feel free to drop by my current challenge!

Also, I don't fly in spaceships, I LIFT THEM!

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Archived