Forums are back in action! ×

I DID A CHIN UP!

Guys, I did a chin up! A real, live legitimate chin up, from fully extended arms, to chin above the bar, with NO help! I even have a witness ;)

This was a goal in my first challenge which got waylaid by an injury, so I made it a goal again this time (3rd challenge) and I FREAKING DID IT!

I am officially, absolutely and incontrovertibly stronger than I was. WOOT!

Race: Wood Elf

Level 20

Class: Ranger

Strength: 45 | Dexterity: 15 | Stamina: 44 | Constitution: 29 | Wisdom: 35 | Charisma: 28

BATTLE LOG   EPIC QUEST  CHALLENGE

Awesome and congratulations on the chin-up! I'm a "weak girl" too (for now), but being able to do a chin up is one of my summer goals. It seems so far away sometimes, but now I have you and this post as a reminder that consistent effort pays off! Thanks! =D

Adventurer | Level 1

CON: 0 | STR: 0 | STA: 0 | DEX: 0 | WIS: 0 | CHA: 0

On Hiatus

"In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life — It goes on" -- Robert Frost

@Autumn: I sort of, kind of, followed Steve's How to Finally Do a Pull Up.

I did the bent over rows for a while, but I didn't have anything to do the incline pull ups on, so I went right into eccentric chin ups and pull ups (where you lower yourself from the bar). I would stand up on a stool to reach the bar, then try to lower myself in a controlled manner. So, basically I did those for 3 months or so, just trying to increase reps. (I have one of those door way pull up bars at home - I highly recommend them, they're about $30, and we've had ours for a few years, in three different places, and it's never damaged the doorway)

Then I just kept trying to haul myself up there! After a bit, I could do it from standing (ie, arms slightly bent) and then finally yesterday managed it from all the way down!

Disclaimer: I still can't to a pull up (palms facing away from yourself) just a chin-up (palms facing in) But it's next on my list!

Level 20

Strength: 45 | Dexterity: 15 | Stamina: 44 | Constitution: 29 | Wisdom: 35 | Charisma: 28

Haha, thanks for sharing! I'll refer back to this when I start making attempts at it. :-) Good luck with getting a pull-up accomplished, I have no doubts that you will!

@Autumn: I sort of, kind of, followed Steve's How to Finally Do a Pull Up.

I did the bent over rows for a while, but I didn't have anything to do the incline pull ups on, so I went right into eccentric chin ups and pull ups (where you lower yourself from the bar). I would stand up on a stool to reach the bar, then try to lower myself in a controlled manner. So, basically I did those for 3 months or so, just trying to increase reps. (I have one of those door way pull up bars at home - I highly recommend them, they're about $30, and we've had ours for a few years, in three different places, and it's never damaged the doorway)

Then I just kept trying to haul myself up there! After a bit, I could do it from standing (ie, arms slightly bent) and then finally yesterday managed it from all the way down!

Disclaimer: I still can't to a pull up (palms facing away from yourself) just a chin-up (palms facing in) But it's next on my list!

there is something godly about doing the pullup/chinup, if you want to do the pull up try the lats machine and then do stablisering exercises with dumbells afterwards, particularly on the lower back. i know that you arent supposed to use machines if you are on this site but that was how i did it and ive not broken in half or got weaker, you just have to make sure you make up the time for your other muscles

oh yeah and do it at a gym if you can were all the macho people go, once you are absolutely sure of course. i know it sounds scary but do a 20 second beast mode and you will feel like Thor himself, or Lady Sif (don't want to be sexist)

• [*]Level 2 High elf - Ranger (56.7 kilos, approximately 13% body fat)[*]strength 4, dexterity 3, stamina 6, constitution 6, wisdom 5, charisma 2.[*]Challenge - run 5K straight, do 3 day exercise with weighted backpack, reach rep goal for 6 weeks, revise enough for exams; maintain code of bushido[*]"Go into battle determined to die, and you will surely live. Go into battle hoping to live, and you will surely die"

The best way to do it at home to get a pull bar and a resistance band, as long as you aren't seriously overweight ( please do not take offence to this) then a resistance band will support the remainder of the weight you can't manage yet. Also try do bent over rows with increasingly heavy things like dumbells or bottles filled with rocks

Unfortunately I'm coming more of the opinion that things like pull ups and other lone body weight exercises are things we are supposed to do in our childhood when we are running around anyway and then just build on them later in life since all kids climb over fences and walls when playing early in life.

The only problem with bent over rows is that you need to be doing about 90% of your body weight in the row which means very heavy weights etc.

• [*]Level 2 High elf - Ranger (56.7 kilos, approximately 13% body fat)[*]strength 4, dexterity 3, stamina 6, constitution 6, wisdom 5, charisma 2.[*]Challenge - run 5K straight, do 3 day exercise with weighted backpack, reach rep goal for 6 weeks, revise enough for exams; maintain code of bushido[*]"Go into battle determined to die, and you will surely live. Go into battle hoping to live, and you will surely die"

Guys, I did a chin up! A real, live legitimate chin up, from fully extended arms, to chin above the bar, with NO help! I even have a witness ;)

This was a goal in my first challenge which got waylaid by an injury, so I made it a goal again this time (3rd challenge) and I FREAKING DID IT!

I am officially, absolutely and incontrovertibly stronger than I was. WOOT!

Congratulations!  Getting the first chin/pull up is a really big deal and I still feel pretty godly when I do them.

Unfortunately I'm coming more of the opinion that things like pull ups and other lone body weight exercises are things we are supposed to do in our childhood when we are running around anyway and then just build on them later in life since all kids climb over fences and walls when playing early in life.

Or just refuse to grow up :).  Seriously, the amount of fun stuff you can do with monkey bars etc. in the average park is amazing.  I *do* get the occasional odd look though :)

"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself" -- Tolstoy

Not sure if it was buzz or woody that said it though.

Spartan double trifecta progess:

100%
100%

Tough Mudder "10 x Legionnaire":

100.0%
100.0%
"Run ALL the things or die tryin'"
110%
110%

fitocracy Ogre Magi Lvl 16 Ranger STR: 38|DEX: 58|STA: 59|baCON: 34|WIS: 30|CHA: 30

Previously Completed: Spartan Trifecta, Enough TM Headbands to make a ski mask

Nope, I absolutely forbid you to be inspired by me! Hahah jokes, of course, I'm glad I could possibly be an inspiration to anyone!

But for realz, guys... I am not special. If I can do this thing, there is no doubt that you can too!

Level 20

Well, it's been about 8 months since I did my first chin-up...

and I'm proud to announce that today I just did two consecutive pull-ups! 

Yes, the progression took a while, mostly because I wasn't really trying that hard - we just have a pull-up bar in the hallway, so I occasionally do a couple when I walk by. I could do 2 or 3 sets at a time, but only one rep.

Well, today, my husband and I were discussing that report that more than half of all female marines couldn't meet the 3 pull-up requirement for the fitness test... and with this in mind, I went for it. 

No, I didn't make it to three... but I'm certain I could fairly soon if I practiced. 

It is NOT an unrealistic goal for a woman at all. 

• Like 1

Level 20