Forums are back in action! ×

Struggling to be "Supple"

About 1/3 into the book and I'm realizing my movement and posture sucks worse than I thought. I have faulted on every single self test. So far the culprit is usually my lazy butt. No wonder its under developed, I seem to have never used it except to sit on.

How's everyone else doing with Supple?

I'm about 50 pages in and enjoying.  Skipping to the hip mobility stuff today so I have something to work on over the next week or so as I move through as I know I need help there.  I'm not going to be able to sit tomorrow after the ass kicking I gives my glutes with that lacrosse ball tonight.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

What does it mean to be "supple".

Pliable,mobile, not brittle and stiff, like a nice leather belt.

Still waiting anxiously for my copy. I can't wait to see how much of a mess I am lol

Jake

Don't worry Mister Bieber, it'll get here.

500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

So far I know I naturally have good midline stability, probably from squatting correctly in terms of that for awhile now. I however leak torque like a bucket with a hole in it with my outwardly turned feet.

500 / 330 / 625

I'm now slightly interested in this book.  I feel like with the dance I'm in a pretty good place- but I know I have work to do- would be interesting me thinks!

If you are interested in the book check out mobilitywod.com. 

It's basically the video version of the book.

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

I'm very interesting in this book - please keep the reviews coming!

Avalonna, level 3 Half-Elf Adventurer RangerCurrent challenge & spreadsheet • First challenge • Second challenge â€¢ Third challenge • Fourth challenge • Twitter • Tumblr Nerd Fitness: "This is the place to be healthy with others who know how to field strip a light saber and read elvish while explaining the dynamics of sub-space as it relates to a warp field." - tanktimusSTR 7 ~ DEX 2 ~ STA 6 ~ CON 8 ~ WIS 4 ~ CHA 3

If you are interested in the book check out mobilitywod.com. 

It's basically the video version of the book.

I am usually very "video" oriented... but I got bored with the one video I did watch.  I'll have to do more research. 

Well, mor einfo! Apparently my good morning squat/chest collapse issue is also called stripper squat (makes it much more fun to talk about) and is due in part to not having enough external rotation torque.  Straightening the feet to make it easier to generate more torque is one fix and really focusing on maintaing the torque throughout the lift is the other. Fun times!

500 / 330 / 625

I started working the leg torque thing a while ago.  It's weird. I now torque in all lifts.  I'm still working the feet thing in the squat.  Not sure how I feel about it.

KStarr wants us all to always stand with feet straight and a smidge of leg torque. 

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

I started working the leg torque thing a while ago.  It's weird. I now torque in all lifts.  I'm still working the feet thing in the squat.  Not sure how I feel about it.

KStarr wants us all to always stand with feet straight and a smidge of leg torque. 

And 20% ab contraction.

500 / 330 / 625

And 20% ab contraction.

My abs are always contracted.  *even when I sleep*  ;-)

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

I am usually very "video" oriented... but I got bored with the one video I did watch.  I'll have to do more research. 

I've never really thought that the website did him justice.  They've revamped it recently and I don't know how it is now, but I found the videos fascinating, but completely unorganized.  There was no good way to go through them, and there seemed to be too many to find what I was looking for.  He really knows his stuff, but the labeling and organizing of the videos wasn't that good.  I think he never expected it to be that big, and didn't really organize as he went.

The book is everything on the website, but organized pretty neatly.  The pictures are great, the explanations are clear... We'll see how it goes over time, but so far I really like it.

Searching the world for a cure for my wanderlust.

I've never really thought that the website did him justice.  They've revamped it recently and I don't know how it is now, but I found the videos fascinating, but completely unorganized.  There was no good way to go through them, and there seemed to be too many to find what I was looking for.  He really knows his stuff, but the labeling and organizing of the videos wasn't that good.  I think he never expected it to be that big, and didn't really organize as he went.

The book is everything on the website, but organized pretty neatly.  The pictures are great, the explanations are clear... We'll see how it goes over time, but so far I really like it.

He told me he's planning to redo the whole website so the vids are more indexed.  Given it started as such a low key enterprise, no clue when that will happen.

I AM going the distance

I went to the website yesterday and searched for "shoulder", and got a long list of blog posts with many titles having nothing to do with the shoulder. I hope it gets reorganized soon! I actually had better luck going to KStar's YouTube channel and seaching for "shoulder" there. 

http://www.youtube.com/user/sanfranciscocrossfit/videos?query=shoulder

Avalonna, level 3 Half-Elf Adventurer RangerCurrent challenge & spreadsheet • First challenge • Second challenge â€¢ Third challenge • Fourth challenge • Twitter • Tumblr Nerd Fitness: "This is the place to be healthy with others who know how to field strip a light saber and read elvish while explaining the dynamics of sub-space as it relates to a warp field." - tanktimusSTR 7 ~ DEX 2 ~ STA 6 ~ CON 8 ~ WIS 4 ~ CHA 3

Archived