Forums are back in action! ×

Mtg cards...sell or keep?

Ok so this journey I'm on isn't just physical health improvements, I'm trying to simplify my life, gain financial ground and downsize as well. My card collection, minimal as it is, is a source of contention within myself. I no longer play, no time, no one to play with. The collection as a whole isn't worth much to anyone but me. The last time I even bought cards was probably close to 10 years ago. 

I feel like they need a better home lol. I have  asked a few friends who think I would really regret it. I'm trying to look at them as something that can always be reacquired but that's rough. Some of them are first edition! 

So, faced with needing money and space, what's  girl to do! Not to mention a  gaming center is being built around the block!

And in this existence, I'll stay persistent

And I'll make a difference, and I will have lived it- MFTP

Battle Log

I had this dilemma a while ago, as well. Only additionally, the reason I got so into it is because I played with my boyfriend mostly so when we broke up, I lost a lot of interest in the game... I still love it but definitely stopped playing as often. My move was selling them, I got rid of everything for about 85$. Not profitable whatsoever but it still felt worth it. I had boxes and boxes and a binder of them and my room felt like it had a lot more breathing space when I got rid of them. However, I still kept my favourite deck and a few of my favourite cards, because I like the art and it's just a little keepsake. :) Also if I ever get the urge to play again, I would just borrow a deck from a friend or something. Normally at gaming centers people there often have more than one deck and if they're nice, they would lend you a deck to participate.

My opinion is to sell them, if you really don't play anymore. Depending on how many you have, all you really need are a couple decks anyway, so if you're trying to minimalize your life a little bit, lightening the load might be less drastic and you would still have a couple decks to play with in the future. :)

I'm very aware that it may just be me reacting to all the changes I'm making too. It should not be a hard decision. Hell I'm selling/ giving away books. The book nerd in me is crying, I have always wanted a library after all.

And in this existence, I'll stay persistent

And I'll make a difference, and I will have lived it- MFTP

Battle Log

Have someone you really trust appraise them and see if you have anything of worth.  Sell those to whoever you can.  For the rest, find a kid that plays and give the cards to them.

Lvl 5 Penguin Warrior:  10 Str, 3.5 Dex, 6.5 STA, 23.5 CON, 12.25 WIS, 5.75 CHA

Intro | Current Challenge Thread | Character sheet
My Personal Blog | My Food Blog

There are no failures, only learning pains

I always consider selling mine but want to fully catelog them so I can see what I could get, you get more money doing it that way rather than just selling as a grab bag.  I have quite a few that are worth 4-5 each and my collection could probably sell individually for over $300, it's just a lot of time to invest that I don't have.  I probably could get motivated to do it as I could take that money and turn it into some bumper plates and oly shoes....

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I always consider selling mine but want to fully catelog them so I can see what I could get, you get more money doing it that way rather than just selling as a grab bag.  I have quite a few that are worth 4-5 each and my collection could probably sell individually for over $300, it's just a lot of time to invest that I don't have.  I probably could get motivated to do it as I could take that money and turn it into some bumper plates and oly shoes....

usually about 90% of your cards are junk, plain and simple, especially if they're older.  you might get lucky and some might be worth a decent amount, it depends.  that's why i say get someone that you trust to go over them for you and sell the ones worth selling, then trash the rest or donate them.

Lvl 5 Penguin Warrior:  10 Str, 3.5 Dex, 6.5 STA, 23.5 CON, 12.25 WIS, 5.75 CHA

Intro | Current Challenge Thread | Character sheet
My Personal Blog | My Food Blog

There are no failures, only learning pains

IMHO don't sell them. I also have the same problem with my Magic cards (mine aren't that old though) and my Warhammer 40000 armies (table top models). Where I currently live no one else plays either one. So yeah all the cards and models are just gathering dust but they are a part of me. I would never be able to sell them. Not in a million years. I like to think that ten years from now I can go through all my old Magic cards and reminisce about all the awesome times I had with them. Selling them would mean I would have to sell a part of myself... But maybe I'm just crazy.

Knowledge is power, hide it well

Archived