Forums are back in action! ×

I'm feeling a lot less like a noob now, but I do have a very important question I wanted to ask of you more experienced and lovely people.

On days when I don't go to the gym, I make do with what I have at home. I do body weight squats, push ups, planks, and things like that. I can't do incline pull ups because of my right hand (flexor tendinitis, had surgery twice), but I do make sure to do assisted pull ups at the gym where the machine has a much better grip on it. At home, my heaviest dumbbell is 10 lbs (in the past I never got much farther past needing it), and already I'm able to tell that it's getting to be too light and I only get a benefit with adding reps and/or sets.

My question is this: I'm going to be adding another gym day and was wondering if instead of the usual 3x15 I feel anything from with the 10 lb weights, would it be advisable to switch to the 5x5 with 20 lb weights for my rows and curls? 

On a positive note, before I could only do 5 second planks, but now I'm up to 10 on a bad day and 15 on a good day and about ready to get rid of the ball for my push ups.

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone! Get Ready!

Orange Lounge Radio

"Where Every Gamer Has a Voice!"

- Live Sunday at 6 PM Pacific -

VoGnetwork.com

I'd say yes. Go with the 5x5. Building that strength up is building the bedrock for the rest of your training goals.

Keep up the good work mate.

"Strength is the cup. The bigger the cup, the more you can put in" - JDanger

Pat G: Thanks! 

Waldo: Flexor Tendinitis is also known as Trigger Finger, and it requires an incision in the tendon sheath below the fingers to release the swollen tendon. I had to have the surgery twice.

I haven't done no grip, but I'm also trying to work on strengthening my hand, too, so I try to use it and build up its endurance. The tightness I have is in the palm and fingers usually.

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone! Get Ready!

Orange Lounge Radio

"Where Every Gamer Has a Voice!"

- Live Sunday at 6 PM Pacific -

VoGnetwork.com

Ditch the curls, switch to chin ups. I realize that with your hand this might be harder but if you can get some straps that might help. Really though, curls are good for almost nothing.

Even if they're assisted. I agree with Pat, go with a 5x5 or 3x5 sets. If the weight is easy add more (typically just 5lbs total). When you can't do any more do it again until you can. Anyone serious about getting stronger needs to get on a progression. Otherwise you're just fiddling around in the gym.

Also, if you're used to doing the typical split, body building routine that is fine but you'll get much better progress with large body movements, squat, deadlift, cleans, snatches, bench press, overhead press and the like. Anytime you spend an hour in the gym working a muscle that takes up less that 5% of your body is a worthless workout as far as strength is concerned. If you just want to have a big bicep then I suppose that is your goal and I'll not criticize it but if your goal is strength, health and fitness you'll have to broaden your horizon and the scope of your muscle grouping.

Allons-y!

If deadlifts were easy they'd be called ellipticals.

If you can't fix it with fish oil and squats you're probably going to die. ~ Marshall White

TIME LORD, The Warrior, Level 3: STE: 12, DEX: 12, STA: 5; CON: 5.75, WIS: 9; CHA: 2

Be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his might. Ephesians 6.10

-           -      -   -  -  -  -  -  - - - - - - - -----------------------------------------------

Also, if you're used to doing the typical split, body building routine that is fine but you'll get much better progress with large body movements, squat, deadlift, cleans, snatches, bench press, overhead press and the like. Anytime you spend an hour in the gym working a muscle that takes up less that 5% of your body is a worthless workout as far as strength is concerned. If you just want to have a big bicep then I suppose that is your goal and I'll not criticize it but if your goal is strength, health and fitness you'll have to broaden your horizon and the scope of your muscle grouping.

This.

Level ? Half-Dwarf/Half-Amazon Warrior

STR:21.25 STA:15 DEX: 10.95 CON: 14 WIS:15.5 CHA:17

SWOLE BUCKS: 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Ditch the curls, switch to chin ups. I realize that with your hand this might be harder but if you can get some straps that might help. Really though, curls are good for almost nothing.

What? No! Get dressed up Saturday night, go to the gym, do about a kajillion 5# curls. Gets you all pumped for your date. Girl is very impressed ;-D

The past is only smoke in a dream.

Lvl 6 Ranger Berzerker

STR 9 DEX 4 STA 9 CON 8 WIS 2 CHA 8

Barfly ain't even tryin'...

Ditch the dumbbells and do a routine that will build some real strength. Check out Starting Strength, Stronglifts, or Jim Wendler's 5/3/1. They are programmed for whole body strength by people who know how to make a whole body strong. Also, try skipping the pull up machine and use a band. The band assists more at the start and decreases as you pull, building muscle almost all the way up.

In a couple months a big deadlift will make a 10 pound curl look pretty insignificant. You'll also have a core of rock and a foundation to do whatever the hell you want from there.

If you really feel that you must do dumbbell isolation movements, then yes, go heavy for few reps and many sets. Please consider picking up a barbell though. It's not as scary as you think, and I promise it won't make you look like Lou Ferigno.

My training log

Spoiler

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (USS), April 16th Contest report

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (NAS), April 18th Contest report

Eighth Annual Vis Vires Outdoor Strongman Competition (Unsanctioned), August 1st Contest report

"What's the difference between an injury that you train around and an injury that you train through?"

"A trip to the hospital"

Archived