Forums are back in action! ×

One Year In...

maegs

This time last year I was in a bad way. I had just finished my bachelor's degree, and during the 4 years at school I had gained a lot of weight, barely worked out, and ate horribly. The last year in particular was bad - I was at school at least from 8:30ish until about 5 at night, and despite bringing food every day I often ended up buying snacks as well. I had a heavy workload from school, and was also working part time, and, because of this and my tendencies to procrastinate and be a night owl, it got to the point where 5 hours of sleep was a good night. I'm 5'3", and was pushing 170lb. I was a size 14, had a 33.5" waist, 39.5" belly, and 42.5" hips. I wasn't happy with how I looked or how I felt, so I decided that things had to change.

I started doing the Starting Strength program. I could squat 70lb, bench 45lb, deadlift 75lb, and press and clean 55lb. A 2 mile run on the treadmill took me 37:13 the first time I tried it. I started working out regularly, running less-than-regularly, and eating roughly Paleo/Primal (I love cheese & Greek yogurt!). Now it's a year later, and I'm healthier and fitter than I've ever been before. Last time I weighed myself I was 144lb, had a 28.5" waist, 32.75" belly, and 38" hips. The pants I'm wearing right now are a size 5, and I just bought a dress that's a small. I squat 150lb, bench 90lb, deadlift 200lb, press 55lb (I just can't seem to get this one up!) and clean 95lb. I can do unassisted dips, and only use a 20lb assist for pull-ups, down from using a 115lb assist for both. I've started playing rugby, which I haven't played since high school (6 or 7 years ago), and the last run I did outside of practice was 2 miles in 24:40. :rugby: At practice we do loads of running, including tabatas and other sorts of intervals, and I've never had to walk during it. I'm also not the slowest person! I've also made it a goal to get enough sleep, and it really has made a big difference for me. 

People I haven't seen for a while have been commenting on how "thin" or "slim" I look, and the other day at my new(ish) job, when we had some extra cake slices left over, one of the other girls said "Here, you take one, you're so tiny you can afford it!" (but my willpower was stronger than my desire for cheesecake :tongue:). When I go to grad school in the fall I'm planning on trying out for the women's rugby team. I'm also looking forward to reaching my goal body shape (I'm currently thisclose but not quite there), at which point my mom and I are going shopping! :glee:

So basically, this is how I feel about myself these days:

tumblr_mmhtr8zvVm1r1mr1po1_500.gif

Instead of:

tumblr_inline_mlzngdpnhT1r1wpaz.gif

What a great story, that's fantastic, 5 inches off your waist in particular is really good. :applouse:

I think people underestimate the importance of getting enough sleep, I totally understand you there, it's made a big difference for me too.

Congratulations on your success :positive:

Endor, LVL 45 Half-Elf Ranger 

PR and Motivation Log | Current Battle Log 

Feb-March 2022 Challenge

Archived