Forums are back in action! ×

Epic Treks

Saph

Hey! I'm about to set on the Camino in a few weeks. It's a pilgrimage from St Jean Pied de Port in France, over the Pyrenees into Spain to Santiago de Compostela. It should take about four weeks on foot. So, wish me luck! 

Is anyone else going or has been on a epic trek? Inspiration, advice? 

I did the Round Annapurna trek in Nepal in 2011.  It was the best ever!  I did the 19-day route, which took us to a top elevation of over 5400 m (~17,800 ft). 

My advice?  Break in your boots well and bring Compeeds.  Many, many Compeeds.  Also bring medical tape to tape around the edges of the Compeeds, because if the bandage peels and sticks to your sock, you may never get it off.  Good blister bandages were the one thing I really really really wished I had.

Level Four Mandalorian Assassin

| STR: 8 | DEX: 7.5 | STA: 12 | CON: 8 | WIS: 7.25 | CHA: 6.75 |

| First Challenge | Second Challenge | Third Challenge |

You can't look dignified when you're having fun

Hi Saph,

First of all, awesome! Second, best of luck to you, my friend did the walk last year and said it was just fantastic. I believe it's one of two of the old pilgrimage routes, the other is from Canterbury, England to Rome by way of Via Francigena- These days more commonly cycled. I think the advice is always the same, make sure your boots and your feet are well acquainted and the same with your rucksack! people often overlook the necessity of a good bag and unless you want to deal with sores on your back, shoulders and chest as well as your feet I would do some test runs! stick some books in there and explore your local areas of natural beauty. 

I would love to see and hear about your experience after as this is definitely one of the routes I want to tick off my list before leaving europe ;) 

Keep Smiling Brother!

Umbongo

Ethereal Druid - Level 1

The Witch Doctor Trials, 1.

| Con 4 | Sta 3 | Wis 3 | Str 2 | Dex 2 | Cha 1 |

-Maiaverepauradiessere senzapaura-

Have you seen the Martin Sheen movie "The Way?" It's about a father whose son dies on the Camino, and the father sets out to do the pilgrimmage himself. Might be of some inspiration if you haven't seen it before. It wasn't a big budget movie so it might be hard to find, but I think I saw it when it was on Netflix.

Level 4 Woodchuck

STR 12 | DEX 9.5 | STA 8.5 | CON 8 | WIS 7.5 | CHA 9

Current challenge: UH60guy seeks his Groundhog Day

Previous challenges: 4 3 2 1

Archived