Forums are back in action! ×

Whose got the 'hawk??

I-Jo

So I need some help/inspiration thoughts- we have a burlseque fusion performance in June.  and my friend always wears her hair in essentially a hawk... and I really want to do this- except- my hair is straight.. and well lacks poof.

I've been working with faux-hawks- and getting decent results- I need to spend more time with it but I was wondering if nerd land could help me with any tricks or thoughts???

I think I'm going to give elmers a shot next time for a full fan hawk.  But still looking for thoughts/advice or inspiration!

yeah- I have heard- I haven't gotten into any of the super sticky substances- I've been using just extra volumizing techniques for the "faux hawk"

If i'm going to do this- it's going to need to last for like 6+ hours for the show- cause I have to do it at home- then drive an hour plus to the event- then perform.  So whatever it is- it needs to work- unquestionably. 

I have heard egg whites- haven't researched the method though- and I don't want to smell LOL

Also have heard gelatin- which is cool b/c you can do colors too :)

I rocked a hawk for years before going corporate (Getting my degree).   There are a few options to keep it high. Elmer's is kind of a last resort since its a bitch to get out, so you would probably cut it off if you want a change.  Knox s (unflavored gelatin) is great for a big (over 6 inch) hawk. and it will wash out, it will take time, but its the best option for the big o' liberty spikes. Yeah you can color it, but I prefer permanent dye more. That Spikes Colored gel stuff accents nice though.  Other than the super stiff hair gels you can find anywhere, my favorite is pomade (Murray's Pomade is my current go to) It smells awesome, its stiff as hell, and since its more of a wax than anything else you can fix it again if it gets wet, gets bumped, goes flat. Your not gonna go huge with it so keep that in mind, but its my favorite. 

Post some shots when you get it done. I miss my hawk all the time, but the corporate life inst fond of it. My black and blue striped hawk will live long in my memory. or until I retire.... sixty year old man with a hawk... its coming. 

Well Educated Eye Candy/ L1

3STR | 3DEX | 1STA | 3CON | 3WIS | 2CHA

"When the Iron doesn't want to come off the mat,

it's the kindest thing it can do for you." Henry Rollins

(evil laugh)

I think, not sure at all, but corn starch works. To a certain extent.

It's not 80% diet, 20% exercise, it's 100% diet, 100% exercise. Give it your all.

My journey (Date - Total - BF % - LBM)

2012-01-01 - 242 - 35% - 157

2013-12-15 - 172 - 10% - 155

2016-05-01 - 231 - 25% - 173

damn....

I came here bc Hawk is one bad mother

and here you are talking hair.  *sigh*  *always at wrong party*

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

Have you tried eggs?

No, I'm serious.

Egg whites wash out a lot easier than elmers.

I rocked about a 3-4 inch tri-hawk in highschool and used this method.  Egg whites in the morning, lasted all day, didn't start to smell unless I didn't redo it before going out at night, and even then not til like 11, so 16 hours or so?

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I rocked a hawk for years before going corporate (Getting my degree).   There are a few options to keep it high. Elmer's is kind of a last resort since its a bitch to get out, so you would probably cut it off if you want a change.  Knox s (unflavored gelatin) is great for a big (over 6 inch) hawk. and it will wash out, it will take time, but its the best option for the big o' liberty spikes. Yeah you can color it, but I prefer permanent dye more. That Spikes Colored gel stuff accents nice though.  Other than the super stiff hair gels you can find anywhere, my favorite is pomade (Murray's Pomade is my current go to) It smells awesome, its stiff as hell, and since its more of a wax than anything else you can fix it again if it gets wet, gets bumped, goes flat. Your not gonna go huge with it so keep that in mind, but its my favorite. 

Post some shots when you get it done. I miss my hawk all the time, but the corporate life inst fond of it. My black and blue striped hawk will live long in my memory. or until I retire.... sixty year old man with a hawk... its coming. 

good to know.  I'm not wanting to do liberty spikes- more a full fan.  _ have the Got 2 B Glued freeze spray- which is *pretty* good- but didn't get me where I want- I haven't been practicing- can't do it for office job.  no that's a lie.

I could- but it would be sorely frowned upon. It's REALLY hard to get fired here.  LOL but it might stunt my growth up the ladder. 

I think, not sure at all, but corn starch works. To a certain extent.

Herrrmmmmm not sure if would work- my hair is black.

damn....

I came here bc Hawk is one bad mother

and here you are talking hair.  *sigh*  *always at wrong party*

aw sorry mamma Cline.  izokay- you can come party anyway!!!

I rocked about a 3-4 inch tri-hawk in highschool and used this method.  Egg whites in the morning, lasted all day, didn't start to smell unless I didn't redo it before going out at night, and even then not til like 11, so 16 hours or so?

I think I'm going try tonight- I have to work toinght at seven- but I might go home and give it a shot- I don't think I could do it before- she might not be thrilled with that LOL  But I have the time to do it so I might.  :)  

I'll post some pictures up later this weekend if I can make this happen- I'll try to make it happen for Monday- we have rehearsal Monday night- would be good to give it a trial through practice.  I need it to stand up to 8 minutes of dancing.  yeah- lots and LOTS of product. 

good to know.  I'm not wanting to do liberty spikes- more a full fan.  _ have the Got 2 B Glued freeze spray- which is *pretty* good- but didn't get me where I want- I haven't been practicing- can't do it for office job.  no that's a lie.

The Got 2 B Glued paste than looks like glue is WAY stronger than the spray. I've used both for regular spiked hair and use the glue for my front hair flip. Apply when your hair is pretty dry (like, completely blow dried) to get the very even, natural texture, which might be better for the fan.  If you want the hard, shiny hair look, do it when it's still slightly damp after drying. I think the egg whites might be slightly stronger, I think I remember thinking I could almost crack my hair off when I used to do that.

500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/photos/uncategorized/picture_31.jpg

This is Elmers. 

Its so stiff the dude cut the letters for his school out of his hair. 

holy smokes batman,

It's not 80% diet, 20% exercise, it's 100% diet, 100% exercise. Give it your all.

The Got 2 B Glued paste than looks like glue is WAY stronger than the spray. I've used both for regular spiked hair and use the glue for my front hair flip. Apply when your hair is pretty dry (like, completely blow dried) to get the very even, natural texture, which might be better for the fan.  If you want the hard, shiny hair look, do it when it's still slightly damp after drying. I think the egg whites might be slightly stronger, I think I remember thinking I could almost crack my hair off when I used to do that.

I have the pomade AND the tradtional one- and it really didn't work. 

http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/photos/uncategorized/picture_31.jpg

This is Elmers. 

Its so stiff the dude cut the letters for his school out of his hair. 

jesus- that's impressive- but why?? LMAO

Why? Because Nerds are cool like that.

mohawk.jpgIf you get into MIT, show that shit off.

Mars_Curiosity-0dff1.jpg?uuid=XjZr1t_FEe

This Dude Hawks it over at NASA.

Someone inform the medical industry that smart people hawk too, so I can get mine back!!!

(evil laugh)

yeah I r engineerd too (well I play at it- mostly I sit her at my desk and try to be busy- fail) 

you definitely need to be good at what you do- right now I'm not because I don't have much of a job to physically be DOING.  That and I feel like there are double standards for women when it comes to that sort of thing LOL.

I love nasa dude's hawk- I remember he was a big deal a few years back- I think his hawk is so stinking cute!!!

Holy crap, how many engineers are we on here?? (I'm an industrial one and sported a hawk at my last job which went bankrupt! :o )

yeah I r engineerd too (well I play at it- mostly I sit her at my desk and try to be busy- fail) 

you definitely need to be good at what you do- right now I'm not because I don't have much of a job to physically be DOING.  That and I feel like there are double standards for women when it comes to that sort of thing LOL.

I love nasa dude's hawk- I remember he was a big deal a few years back- I think his hawk is so stinking cute!!!

Yeah, the double standard is still around, although maybe not as bad as it was in the past?  Most workplaces are getting more and more casual though.

I remember being on a mine site as a brand new graduated engineer and trying to figure out how to tell the student that we had working with us that she should buy some tshirts without such a deep v to wear into the cafeteria full of old men that have been at a mine site for anywhere between 2-8 weeks.  I never did come up with a way to do it that I didn't think could put me into hot water with HR, or that may embarrass her.

Level 2 Half-Orc Ranger

STR 4|DEX 2.6|STA 5.8|CON 8|WIS 2|CHA 3

MyFitnessPal|My Endomondo

I remember being on a mine site as a brand new graduated engineer and trying to figure out how to tell the student that we had working with us that she should buy some tshirts without such a deep v to wear into the cafeteria full of old men that have been at a mine site for anywhere between 2-8 weeks.  I never did come up with a way to do it that I didn't think could put me into hot water with HR, or that may embarrass her.

Yeah, probably was best to let her figure that out herself.

Human Adventurer

Str: 3 | Dex: 2 | Sta:2 | Con:3 | Wis:3 | Cha:2

I've got no strings to hold me down, to make me smile or make me frown...

Yeah, probably was best to let her figure that out herself.

I was torn, I wanted to try to help her out, get taken more seriously on site, but at the same time, I couldn't come up with a way to do it.  Well, besides just saying it, but that didn't seem like a good route to me.

I guess we all have to learn some things the hard way.

Level 2 Half-Orc Ranger

Holy crap, how many engineers are we on here??

ME here!

I remember being on a mine site as a brand new graduated engineer and trying to figure out how to tell the student that we had working with us that she should buy some tshirts without such a deep v to wear into the cafeteria full of old men that have been at a mine site for anywhere between 2-8 weeks. I never did come up with a way to do it that I didn't think could put me into hot water with HR, or that may embarrass her.

Why you gotta spoil it for the rest of us?

Sent from my iPhone- please forgive length and autocorrects (yes, I'm blaming it on the phone).

500 / 330 / 625

my work openly discriminates against visible tats and someone here with bright purple hair is suffering respect wise.  *sigh*

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

ME here!

Why you gotta spoil it for the rest of us?

Sent from my iPhone- please forgive length and autocorrects (yes, I'm blaming it on the phone).

Haha, I got tired of hearing about "titty city and her low cut shirts" from all the operators and shit on site.  I brought it up with their foreman and the site super and I stopped hearing about it, but I'm sure the conversations continued when I wasn't around.

Besides that, I've got to be able to have a conversation with her without the lure of exposed sweater stretchers - must maintain eye contact!

Level 2 Half-Orc Ranger

Here were I work we have a women working at sales, she always wore short skirts, etc. HR put up a annoncement that everyone should wear convinient close for work that would make sure there isn't any case of harrassement. She never wore short skirts again lol

I was working graves and I had my Hawk cut just before I graduated. Even after a fight with HR I still got told to cut it. Certain industry are still old school shirt and tie, and no matter what hours you keep you need to look like a good representative for the company..... That's why I am working Days in the same place with cut hair, button down, Cube life. But the place is good, bills get paid, and I can still be punk rock in my mind. Probably the only guy here listening to the Casualties on my headphones.

" We can do a hell of a lot more damage in the system than outside of it" Stevo, SLC PUNK

(evil laugh)

Archived