Forums are back in action! ×

XBOX One Announced

Head over to gizmodo.com and pick one of their dozen articles or full summary article. Wired.com also had an exclusive first look documented HERE. Some of the features are:

• Kinect is now super sensitive to the point that it can detect your heart beat
  • You can route cable through the xbox and the xbox does an overlay and allows you to contorl your box and browse on tv with voice alone
  • You can "snap" pretty much anything to the side of the screen, like picture in picture.  This means web browsers while watching movies, sports games form tvs while playing video games, an imdb app while you are watching a movie, a fantasy football app while watching the game, etc. and switch between the two. Pretty much everything can be controlled through voice commands.
  • Controls have vibration feed back right to the control sticks

It's meant to be a complete home entertainment center and does all kinds of cool stuff, I'm really geeking out on it.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Oh yeah, there's gonna be a live action Halo tv series exclusive to the console.

500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Pretty cool. I'm a PC gamer but I really like what the new Xbox is going to do. Just hated paying for Xbox Live. :/ Heres to hoping there is an app that lets you record tv shows and stuff of that nature. 

Wandering WarriorLevel 4- STR: 7.5 | DEX: 1 | CON: 7 | STA: 7.5 | WIS: 10 | CHA: 4.25"Your future is created by what you do TODAY, not tomorrow"

Battle Log | Fitocracy

Lifting Goals: Squats - 545 | Bench - 410 | Deads - 585 

Pretty cool. I'm a PC gamer but I really like what the new Xbox is going to do. Just hated paying for Xbox Live. :/ Heres to hoping there is an app that lets you record tv shows and stuff of that nature. 

Yeah, I think I saw something about it having a dedicated DVR, not sure.

500 / 330 / 625

it's microsoft, they're always changing their numbering scheme.  I think we're lucky it wasn't XBox 2013.

And they are always copying style from their closest competitors.

USS & NBAC Masters swim coach

Current: lifter, runner

Former: triathlete, cyclocross racer, NCAA swimmer

Current games: Borderlands 2, Runescape, Star Ocean, Dragon's Dogma

Yeah, I think I saw something about it having a dedicated DVR, not sure.

I saw where they have a "GAME DVR" lol no mention about being able to record tv though. It has an HDMI IN and an HDMI OUT so one can hope? 

Wandering WarriorLevel 4- STR: 7.5 | DEX: 1 | CON: 7 | STA: 7.5 | WIS: 10 | CHA: 4.25"Your future is created by what you do TODAY, not tomorrow"

Battle Log | Fitocracy

Lifting Goals: Squats - 545 | Bench - 410 | Deads - 585 

Not sure about the whole recording TV thing- I thought set top boxes for cable/satellite usually have this built in? Dunno why I'd want to go through the xbox to watch tv.

One thing I'd like to see is how it performs as a media centre- which the 360 wasn't great at, seemed to have all kinds of problems with playing different video formats. If it was able to offer film streaming with netflix etc at a decent resolution that'd be pretty cool.

Kinect I'm pretty 'meh' about. Maybe if it's more sensitive developers will be able to incorporate it into games better.

New controller looks interesting- the change of rumble pack location I'd like to try.

Game wise, all I really want is a new Timesplitters.

I reckon it'll be my usual case with consoles of wait a few years for the price to drop and the games catalogue to build up, then decide if I want one!

Sounds like its ability as a cable controller is pretty lame (an overlay, without any digitial control of cable box except what a remote can do) except for those with ATT Uverse, since Uverse is IPTV and not cable, and the One has a HDD and can control IPTV, the One can replace the Uverse DVR and/or act as a tuner. We have Uverse so thats a win.

Microsoft seems to be putting a full court press on with the NFL as well (coaches/players using surface tablets on the sidelines), sounds like they have a huge deal, though there aren't any details announced. But from the sound of it there is a chance that the holy grail exists, the ability to stream live games (hopefully priced reasonable). Can do now with DirectTV, except that you have to purchase a full season pass with a $50 upcharge ($350 total) and have to prove you can't get DirctTV service, which is frickin ludicrous to pay for a stream to watch the not on TV games for an out of town fan, especially since most won't be routing the stream through their TV.

At my house I can't get DirectTV (good ol giant oak trees), and with a toddler going the bar is out of the question, so we've had to watch crappy illegal streams now for a couple years (I certainly am not paying $350 to legit stream the half a dozen games GB isn't on TV, only to watch on my computer). I already told my wife, if we can legit stream games to our TV and the price is reasonable (hell I'd pay $20 a game if it was a HD stream to my set), we will be getting a One the day it is released.

Having a net browser in the TV would be quite awesome. If it could log on to the home network and be able to access the server hard drives, heaven. Especially since I have a windows phone, which can act as a remote control and peripheral for an Xbox/computer. I think we would really use a lot of that functionality. My wife prefers workout videos, right now youtube isn't much help since we can't route it through the TV, and I have to burn videos as opposed to pulling straight from the server drives. The ability to watch a workout video and side by side a TV show or music video would be pretty epic for her.

I really couldn't care less about the gaming functions of it though.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

Sounds like its ability as a cable controller is pretty lame (an overlay, without any digitial control of cable box except what a remote can do) except for those with ATT Uverse, since Uverse is IPTV and not cable, and the One has a HDD and can control IPTV, the One can replace the Uverse DVR and/or act as a tuner. We have Uverse so thats a win.

Microsoft seems to be putting a full court press on with the NFL as well (coaches/players using surface tablets on the sidelines), sounds like they have a huge deal, though there aren't any details announced. But from the sound of it there is a chance that the holy grail exists, the ability to stream live games (hopefully priced reasonable). Can do now with DirectTV, except that you have to purchase a full season pass with a $50 upcharge ($350 total) and have to prove you can't get DirctTV service, which is frickin ludicrous to pay for a stream to watch the not on TV games for an out of town fan, especially since most won't be routing the stream through their TV.

At my house I can't get DirectTV (good ol giant oak trees), and with a toddler going the bar is out of the question, so we've had to watch crappy illegal streams now for a couple years (I certainly am not paying $350 to legit stream the half a dozen games GB isn't on TV, only to watch on my computer). I already told my wife, if we can legit stream games to our TV and the price is reasonable (hell I'd pay $20 a game if it was a HD stream to my set), we will be getting a One the day it is released.

Having a net browser in the TV would be quite awesome. If it could log on to the home network and be able to access the server hard drives, heaven. Especially since I have a windows phone, which can act as a remote control and peripheral for an Xbox/computer. I think we would really use a lot of that functionality. My wife prefers workout videos, right now youtube isn't much help since we can't route it through the TV, and I have to burn videos as opposed to pulling straight from the server drives. The ability to watch a workout video and side by side a TV show or music video would be pretty epic for her.

I really couldn't care less about the gaming functions of it though.

I started getting advertisements in MAdden about trial versions of some NFL package, but it keeps getting through the loading screen too fast for me to read the whole thing. I feel your pain though, lived in North NJ for 3 years and had to go to the bar to watch my games.  After the move I am now luckily on the very southern edge of Philly sports country again.

Edit: Oh yeah, they're apparently planning on doing an absolute ton with SmartGlass, the tablet and phone extension suite.

500 / 330 / 625

Come to think of it, watching NFL games side by side with a twitter feed would be pretty epic, I'm always watching the feed on my phone between plays. Set up a list that only tweets relevant to the NFL stuff, and you could have stuff like Shefter, FauxJohnMadden/Peytonshead, and the local beat reporters running live on the TV. TV tries to do that, but they always pick stupid irrelevant PC crap.

currently cutting

don't panic!

Not too impressed with it yet, gaming-wise. That's why I want a console. Not to watch TVTVTV. I suppose I better wait 'til E3 before I forget about it, though.

Ash nazg durbatulûk

Îα είσαι καλÏτεÏος άνθÏωπος από τον πατέÏα σου

â–²STR 7 | DEX 11 | STA 6 | CON 6 | WIS 9 | CHA 5â–²

Yeah, this was to tout capabilities and new features.  Actual game content will start coming to us at E3.

Come to think of it, watching NFL games side by side with a twitter feed would be pretty epic, I'm always watching the feed on my phone between plays. Set up a list that only tweets relevant to the NFL stuff, and you could have stuff like Shefter, FauxJohnMadden/Peytonshead, and the local beat reporters running live on the TV. TV tries to do that, but they always pick stupid irrelevant PC crap.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to having the fantasy football app snapped to the side.

500 / 330 / 625

The rumour about having to get online once a day is bugging me though... is it true or not? (or that it, like Diablo 3, will require an online connection to use/play)

Are these just bogus or is there some truth to any of them?

Ash nazg durbatulûk

The rumour about having to get online once a day is bugging me though... is it true or not? (or that it, like Diablo 3, will require an online connection to use/play)

So the online thing is that Microsoft bought this cloud company and now has this service called "Azure" that would let you save all game content in the cloud and access it anywhere on any box once you log in. It also allows games to use cloud computing, having a lot of the leg work and processing be done off site, freeing the box hardware up to do other stuff, which would effectively give them more processing power and enable them to make better games that do more, such as have better graphics, larger worlds, shorter load times, etc. Because all this is done in the cloud, any game that utilizes it would need to have an internet connection. GAmes that do not use it would not need such a connection, but would lose out on all of those benefits. This is what the connected to play thing is all about as I understand it.

500 / 330 / 625

What's wrong with needing an online connection?

That way I see it, its sort of like being able to play games on my uverse receiver, with way updated features on the recevier; that things on 24/7.

currently cutting

don't panic!

What's wrong with needing an online connection?

That way I see it, its sort of like being able to play games on my uverse receiver, with way updated features on the recevier; that things on 24/7.

I don't always have an online connection available. I don't want to be forced to have an online connection if I want to play a game in single player mode.

Ash nazg durbatulûk

Archived