Forums are back in action! ×

Dublin and Ireland

If you have the time, I would really recommend going out west to stopping by Galway. I spent 3 months there on an internship and fell in love with the city and the people. It's very different from Dublin (though I love Dublin too!) and very small. If you happen to catch it on a sunny day, the whole place comes alive. I've never been in October so not sure what the weather is like, but you'll still find some great people and great pubs. My favorites are the Roisin Dubh (ro-sheen dove) and Neactain's (noc-tins).

While you're there, you should also check out the Aran Islands. Their native language there is Irish and it's just a really cool cultural experience. I visited all three islands when I was there and spent a whole day meandering the middle island (population like...20 haha).

I can go on and on, feel free to send me a message if you've got questions or just want to discuss anything Irish!

p.s. Forgot to answer your actual question about Dublin. I was only there for about a week and I thought the "An Evening of Food, Folklore and Fairies" dinner was pretty cool. I really enjoy folklore stuff. Also, don't go to the leprechaun museum...

I went to Ireland in March 2013 and it was amazing! I highly highly highly recommend the Kilmainham Jail but get there super early and sign up because the tours fill up quickly! Also recommend the botanic gardens. As for pubs I recommend the Brazen Head. They had amazing food, especially the onion rings! Super random but I swear they were the best onion rings I have ever had. It is also the oldest pub in Ireland dating back to 1198!

Dublin's got some great night life (though it's very expensive). There's loads to do and see. (I was raised in south county Dublin but rarely go to Dublin at all these days - I'm not really a "city person".)

Here's one of Dublin's famous pubs. They do a good pint of Guinness:

http://www.dublinks.com/dublin-pubs-bars/doheny-amp-nesbitts.php

If you can get out west, there's some fantastic scenery and some great walking routes. That said, you can find fantastic scenery all over the place outside of Dublin ;-)

If you find yourself anywhere near County Leitrim, give me a shout - I'll happily recommend some night life, places to go, things to do. I can even show you around if you want a guide and I know some local experts if you're interested in the history/mythology of the land :)
(things to do near me: pubs, walking, forest parks, pubs, horse riding, boating, traditional Irish music, kayaking/canoeing, river cruises, field archery, HEMA, pubs, bowling, hill walking, tourism cycling trails, golf, pubs, paintball and pubs.)

Here's me and my Epic Quest: https://www.nerdfitness.com/character/61826

I was just in Ireland 2 months ago.

Ditch Dublin after a day of walking around (its smaller than you think) if you can and go visit Galway. The city is super active and charming.

I would also recommend renting a car and visiting Cork (for the nightlife and music) and Kinsale (directly south... super charming sailing town on the water.)

You're really doing yourself a disservice if you don't go explore the Ring of Kerry. It is a giant National Park on the South-West corner of Ireland with some of the most beautiful scenery you've ever seen. Do a little research and take a few of the hikes. You won't regret it.

• Like 1

I agree, head to Cork at some point :)

i did a weeks hullabaloo round Ireland when i went over in 2013 so rushed through unfortunately, looking to go back at some point... Very beautiful :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a ride!â€
Hunter S. Thompson

Current ChallengePrevious Challenge, Daily Battle Log

Level 1 Hobbit Scout

STR 5|DEX 1|STA 5|CON 2|WIS 1|CHA 1

I go there in July, so I'll let you know what I find. :)

Level 1 Half Dwarf Adventurer

Stats: 10 points to use (Yes, I'm an Exp hoarder)

"Cut through the heart, cold and clear... Strike for love and strike for fear... There's beauty and there's danger here...Split the ice apart...
Beware the frozen heart"

-"Frozen Heart" from the Movie "Frozen"

Hiya, I live in Dublin right now (American expat) and I can give you loads of ideas for bars. For early-ish and relatively cheap cocktails (for a while there they were doing 2 for €5, but I'm not sure if that's still on), head to Capitol Bar on Georges St. I generally tend to avoid Temple Bar because, although it is good craic, it's expensive! Grand Social right across from the Ha'penny is a good place to go, too. Aside from bars, I'm not much help I'm afraid -- I'm a broke grad student. :) Dublin is a fantastic place, so definitely just walk around and see what there is to see (2 days is probably plenty in town if you're not shopping). If you have extra time, try to get to Galway and/or Connemara. If you can't make it all the way over there, try to get to Howth. The views are amazing.