Forums are back in action! ×

Question for those who do hiring

Looong ranty story short, I'm getting really fed up with K-12 education and looking to make a job switch. However, Husband of Doom feels, and I can definitely see his point, that with baby A expected around Halloween, interviewing for a new job now is an exercise in futility, as I am unlikely to be hired when I will need to take maternity leave almost immediately after starting the position. And yes, legally they can't discriminate based on that, but we all know that there are plenty of other reasons they could give for not hiring me. 

So, what say you, hiring-type people. Would I just be wasting my time to apply for new jobs when more than halfway through a pregnancy? Or are there hiring managers who might be willing to overlook that sort of thing?

Hobbit Ranger seeking balance (and cookies)

Current Challenge

First of all, awesome username.

As to your actual question, this is a tough one.  You are right that they can't discriminate against that point alone, but unless they point blank say, "no way, pregnant lady!" the onus is on you to prove it.  On the other hand, do you really want to work somewhere that would treat people like that?

I don't know that you have anything to lose by applying, though--other than your time and energy, of course.  You may find someone willing to bring you in just before maternity leave, or you may even hit the jackpot and find somewhere with a longer time horizon that will let you start post-baby.  At the very least, you might make some useful contacts for future positions, even if they can't take you on as an employee.

Maybe I am being overly optimistic given the current hiring environment (assuming you're in the US), so I will leave it to others to contradict me!

"Did you go to the gym when you were alive?"
"I died in 1938. For exercise, we drank sloe gin and smoked Lucky Strikes."
- Dead Like Me

Yeah, I'd wait until after.  You're not gonna be there for a bit anyway since you'll be taking maternity leave right?

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Yeah, I'd wait until after.  You're not gonna be there for a bit anyway since you'll be taking maternity leave right?

Isn't changing jobs among the list of things you're not supposed to do when you're pregnant? Too much stress and what not..

yeah- I'm this boat.  I'd wait. Husband of Doom has a point.  You married him for a reason- take his advice. 

Good points, all. I just got antsy because a position opened up that pays like 10k a year more than I make now. Plus since I work in K12 education I'd feel like an asshole leaving in the middle of the school year, so if I don't switch now, I'm pretty much stuck in the job for another school year. Oh, well.

Hobbit Ranger seeking balance (and cookies)

Current Challenge

Good points, all. I just got antsy because a position opened up that pays like 10k a year more than I make now. Plus since I work in K12 education I'd feel like an asshole leaving in the middle of the school year, so if I don't switch now, I'm pretty much stuck in the job for another school year. Oh, well.

Why don't you apply and interview and be open about wanting to take maternity leave? It's sumer and you have time to give notice if you get it. If nothing else, they don't take you for whatever reason, including you taking leave so soon, and it's more interviewing experience.

500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Well, HoD's fear is that if I don't get the position, current job might take looking for another job as an excuse to be rid of me, since school librarian positions are being edged out. Which makes me nervous, as I am the household income.

Don't tell them you're looking. It's standard practice to ask prospective employers not to contact current employers for this very reason, and to only do so if you are their primary choice and they only want to do it as a final check, and even then to ask you first.

Contrary to popular belief, most employers don't actually take offense to people looking for other jobs, they understand people want to improve their position by finding a job somewhere else whther it is for a promotion or a raise. The traits that make the best employees also tend to be the ones that make people go getters who would look outside.  Think about it, if someone worked for you and was looking at other jobs so they could get a promotion not available where they were at or to get a big raise, would you hold it against them? I knowI wouldn't. That said, you might not want to chance it.

500 / 330 / 625

HR by trade. You're not obligated by any laws to tell them you are looking elsewhere. I sometimes even advise my own employees against it, but thats because the management here is terrible and would be petty about it. So it sort of depends. I have a wodnerful relationship with my own boss however, and told her immediately that I was transferring and moving and she said "good for you!"

As for hiring a pregnant lady, a quality firm/agency/company will not overlook talent because of a possible hiccup in the process. If you are well suited to their needs, they will certainly take you. However, if you are equally qualified and suited for the position with someone who will not have restrictions, more than likely they would choose the other person. It sucks, but from the perspective of the employer, they are hiring for someone to do work, and knowing you are not available, regardless of the reason, is a tough thing for them to knowingly accept, particularly if they have to hire a temp for that period.

All that said though, I see no reason not to at least go for it! It shouldn't be possible for your current job to let you go based solely on your seeking opportunities elsewhere. Do you have an HR rep you trust to ask about the policies? They should be able to keep that confidential for you.

As for hiring a pregnant lady, a quality firm/agency/company will not overlook talent because of a possible hiccup in the process. If you are well suited to their needs, they will certainly take you. However, if you are equally qualified and suited for the position with someone who will not have restrictions, more than likely they would choose the other person. It sucks, but from the perspective of the employer, they are hiring for someone to do work, and knowing you are not available, regardless of the reason, is a tough thing for them to knowingly accept, particularly if they have to hire a temp for that period.

I don't have hiring powers, but have been on interview/hiring teams, and I agree with this.  Ultimately if you are a compelling enough candidate, a company would be willing to accept limited availability in the near term in exchange for long-term value - provided they're confident that you will stay with them for the long haul.  That said, between two otherwise equally-qualified candidates, the candidate who can contribute more in the near-term has the edge - for example if it really is a toss-up, the candidate who can start tomorrow has the edge over the one who could start 6 weeks from now.

In my experience, the most critical things people look at when hiring:

• Skillset / ability to do the job
  • Ability to function effectively within the company's particular environment/culture
  • Likelihood of retention - will you stick around with the company? (training/bringing new folks up to speed is expensive in time and money!)
  • Ability to contribute immediately (Typically "can you start now?" - but being pregnant/expecting a child has sort of the opposite effect).

The good news is that if you've got an outstanding skillset and the company feels the likelihood of retaining you over the long term is high, you're in good shape in almost every circumstance.  I would make a point of convincing any prospective employers that you are in this to stay with them for the long haul, to assuage their fears about retention(or lack thereof).

"Restlessness is discontent - and discontent is the first necessity of progress. Show me a thoroughly satisfied man-and I will show you a failure." -Thomas Edison

I didn't tell my last job I was looking and specifically asked that they not be contacted until I received an offer. That's not usual.

As for being pregnant, that's tough. Way back when I was in academic we hired a woman who didn't tell us she was pregnant at interview and then she went out first semester and we had to cover her work. It wasn't good.

Most posted jobs expect soon/immediate starts. Some don't. You feel that out by asking about expected start dates.

I would probably start looking hard during maternity leave. You'll be home, you can be discreet, etc.

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.