Forums are back in action! ×

So.. I almost threw up.

I've had to pause several times when I was doing krav classes... the instructors and classmates were all pretty unconcerned about it. Their attitude was "don't worry, puke if you have to, but if you puke, please do it in the trash can over there". It happens!! No worries!! You'll get used to the new level of work and start killing it!

Just a guy on a journey - Battle Log

If you spend too much time thinking about a thing, you'll never get it done - Bruce Lee

Be honest with yourself and ethically pursue your happiness - Laz

Hmm, I'm very out of shape and also very new to regular exercise. I was really hoping that all of this nausea, dizziness, and almost throwing up was going to stop when I get in better shape and my body gets used to regular exercise. I guess not.

Level 3 Adventurer

Ogre disguised high elf

STR 1, DEX 0, STA 0, CON 3, WIS 4, CHA 1

1st Challenge   2nd Challenge    3rd Challenge   Current Challenge

and you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind, and with all your strength. Mark 12:30

I'm the odd man out. I work my ass off and don't feel like this and don't think it's good or normal. Does it happen? Sure. But it should be rare.

Asked spousal unit. He's never seen or heard of anyone puking in his box. And he's been there years and they have no ac and no garage doors.

Don't feel bad. You had an off day w something new. But imho it's not normal, good, ok, or a badge of honor. Figure out what happened and adjust. You can.

I think about it like this: exercise shouldn't hurt either. Quit and adjust if it hurts. This is just is just a different hurt.

Don't feel badly though!!!. It's a lesson and you are doing an awesome job w it!!!!

I'll betcha you don't experience it again.

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

In my box, going til you puke is definitely not encouraged. I think I've seen it actually happen twice. No one's handing out t-shirts in congratulations or telling you that that means you did a good job. Of course, I've seen a lot of people have to pause or slow way down because they thought they were getting close to that point. 

Hmm, I'm very out of shape and also very new to regular exercise. I was really hoping that all of this nausea, dizziness, and almost throwing up was going to stop when I get in better shape and my body gets used to regular exercise. I guess not.

For the most part, it probably will. My first crossfit workout I was so deconditioned I almost passed out during the warm-up. The coach had me lay down in front of the fan til it passed, then get back to work at a lower level when I felt ready. 10 months later, I rarely feel anything close to nauseous  and if I do it's because of something I've done to create that (not eating before a workout, eating too much too close to the work out, chugging a liter of water in the middle of my 50 burpee box jumps...).

Have faith. Your body will adjust and you'll be able to slowly increase intensity.

Once upon a time I had a Personal Trainer. 2 actually. Both of them were named "Ricky". Both of them were pretty chill, but both of them have worked me into Puke mode before. I think, and this is just my theory, that the Personal Trainer Code demands that on the first session they throw you into this monstrosity of a workout that you have no hope of actually completing with any energy left... because if you could, then you wouldn't be working with them. The logic behind this theory is that they have to see what you're actually made of and calibrate your following sessions accordingly. There's the Pre-Trainer evaluation workout thingy which tests to see if you have issues that you're not being up front about... and then there's that.

They will always push you to that point where you want to quit. I think it's their way of giving you your money's worth. However, I think that's what happened there. Honestly, you shouldn't feel ashamed or uncomfortable. You did great if you worked yourself to that point. When they say most people don't, it's either because they're used to that level of intensity or they just gave up before they got to that point.

Either way, good job and keep at it.

^^^

No not really- some PT's are just dick like that. 

Yeah I've had many PTs over the years and not a one worked me to death on a first visit.  Or a second visit.  I'm very good friends with many excellent PTs and they would be mortified. 

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

There is a huge difference between your body isn't prepared (light headed or whatever) because you don't have any fuel to function off of- verses purposefully trying to make someone puke or given them the toughest workout right out of the box- it's not a good recipe for success.

you NEED clients to come back- you don't get paid otherwise.