Forums are back in action! ×

Hello, I guess I'm just looking for some support

Hey, I'm new here

I'm a 18 year old girl in the UK, I'm really struggling with trying to get healthy, both physically and mentally.

Both of which I think are quite connected to each other. My main problem is that because I suffer with depression and anxiety (mostly social anxiety) which has kept me from leaving the house for the past two years, I hate other people being able to see me, I assume they're calling me fat or weird in their heads and that cripples me and leaves me unable to step out of my front door (or open my curtains) without panicking. I'm overweight and I hate it, I used to be outgoing and slim so currently I feel trapped in a body that doesn't feel right.

Over the last 6 months I've been working mostly to get my life back on track and am hoping to start college in September, but I've no idea how to go from here to there when I currently hate my body so much I hide inside my house. The only exercise I get is pacing back and forth in my hallway, I do this everyday for maybe 1-2 hours a day (separately) but when I'm not doing this I'm in bed playing playstation (aside from cigarette breaks). My muscles are very weak, I've tried to do exercise (which I use to enjoy) but I have no motivation and find it extremely painful.

I think much of my mental health will improve as I improve my physical health, but the healthcare team who currently are in charge of my care seem more preoccupied with giving me anti depressants, anti anxiety meds and sedatives (when I go through stages of no sleep) than they are worried about my physical health. Although I'm overweight and quite large I'm not yet obese so I think they don't think my weight or health is the main issue. But how I feel physically in my opinion is having a massive affect on how I feel, the most obvious being my low self esteem.

I'm a vegetarian and have no idea how to eat healthy, my main diet is mainly pasta, then I eat m&ms and dr pepper almost everyday when I feel low, and they make me feel better for abit.

I was quite inspired when I came across this site, I've created a list where I can level up by doing specific physical activities, it's probably the most motivated I've been able to get about anything that isn't a playstation game in a long time. But I've no idea how to fill the list out and I have a problem with all planning and no action.

I want to say thanks for the site and the blog, it's made me feel hopeful for the first time in 2 years that I can control my own life and that maybe one day I won't be trapped in this house and this overweight body anymore.

So yeah that's me...

Ps. Sorry for the very long intro I guess I've not really talked about this stuff before

Hey! Another Uk'er! Never be afraid to ask about for help or if you have any questions you need answered, the guys on here are all just simply awesome and will make you feel welcome and comfortable in no time at all :) And hey all that stuff in the past, pretty much forget about it, a new you is coming soon! Honestly this site is without a doubt the best choice you'll make! Good luc k toeverything your going to get done! :)

Hello and welcome.

I am giving you a nerd hug from across the Atlantic. My wife suffers from social anxiety also, so I feel you.

All I can say is right now you have to take care of yourself and make yourself healthy. Just focus on you, and making you the best you, you can be. Once you are happy with yourself it will be easier to be happy around others.

Work on one goal at a time. If you try to do too much at once it will make this journey a lot tougher. Let’s say you want to stop drinking pop/soda, focus on that. If you happen to drink a can of pop/soda, do not give up, look at what triggered you to drink it, learn and move on : )

Write you goals down. Keep them visible, whenever you feel down look at them and remember that is what you want. Pick a class and join a challenge. They are super fun and the community here will support you, and help you.

One thing that I really like about Nerdfitness and Steve is not only does he have articles on health and fitness, but on life and living. There are some real awesome articles here.; from meeting ppl, to setting goals, to changing habits. It takes a while, but read as many of them as you can, and are well worth it

Good luck!

Nick

Lvl 2 Dwarven Warrier

(STR) - 3 (DEX) - 2 (STA) - 3 (CON) - 2 (WIS) - 2 (CHA) - 2

"Ride to meet your fate.Your destiny awaits" Amon Amarth "Twilight of the Thunder God"

Thank you for the kind words and advice :)

I started today, I've been drinking only water all day and did 1 beginners workout. I haven't eaten healthy but diet is probably going to be my biggest hurdle and I've decided to change it gradually while continuing with regular work outs so I'm not going to let abit of chocolate get me down, as NickZ79 said "do not give up, look at what triggered it, learn and move on" < some great advice thank you nick (and thanks for the hug).

I also wrote down my reps and have set higher goals for my next work out which will be encouraging to look at if I feel I'm not making progress.

it's good to know you can have a decent workout without having a gym in your living room :)

I was wondering whether some small workout equipment would be beneficial, I brought a skipping/jump rope that came today but I wasn't sure if its an effective kind of work out (for losing weight) i figure it can get my heart pumping pretty well though. I know nothing about dumbbells and weights or how to use them really, or I've also read about wrist weights and things but again whether or not their beneficial is hard to find out from people who are trying to sell them.

Sorry for the questions, I would buy the fitness guides but I don't currently have a working computer (I'm using my iPad) and I don't think you could download the guide files etc on an iPad.

I've also brought an NF top to wear during exercise as a extra bit of motivation, it's good to know you're not alone when you're about to trek it to mount doom and back :)

Hi EchoWolf,

You say weird like that's a bad thing ;-) I embrace it!

You've gotten some real good advice so far, but if I may add my 2 pence:  I've been doing a workout called "Convict Conditioning" for a while now. It's a bodyweight workout supposedly by/for prisoners - first thing I thought of when I read of you not leaving the house :-( - but I don't know if that's true or just marketing. It's worked well for me, might for you, too. No equipment, mostly. It's available lots of places online. I've got a pdf around here, somewhere. Don't know if you can open pdfs with an iPad, though.

Anyway, good luck, check out the site, keep in touch.

Barfly

The past is only smoke in a dream.

Lvl 6 Ranger Berzerker

STR 9 DEX 4 STA 9 CON 8 WIS 2 CHA 8

Barfly ain't even tryin'...

Hi EchoWolf, you've already got some great advice and Athena has even googled the books for you (she's awesome and we're a great bunch too).

I get that feeling of anxiety about whether people are judging you but as you go out in the world (when you're ready of course), you will realise that people don't really pay attention to you.  The NF guides are pdf and if you have a pdf reader on your ipad, you are able to read them (iPad user here). 

Also another thing you might enjoy - i just love her cos she's super adorable - is the Blogilates vlog on youtube.  You can do every exercise in the comfort of your own home and you don't need any equipment - warning as Athena mentioned it does hurt to start with, but keeping pushing through.  Her routines are about 4 - 20 minutes depending on what your doing (i did the Psy - Gentlemen one this morning for a warmup. I even put on the glasses in the middle of the gym. such fun).

Oh and come visit us on the challenges to see what other people are doing and how they're going through their journey.  You might discover some people who inspire you, some who will make you laugh til you cry and even some who just make you cry cos you feel for them, but all in all you will just feel like a part of a really big loving global family.

Welcome and drop us a line anytime you need anything.

AB x

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

You are welcome

I think Steve had a link to this, it is a home made gym made from all PVC pipe:

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2013/03/21/how-to-build-the-ultimate-bodyweight-gym-using-only-pvc-pipe/

Then there is this article on making a sand bag weight:

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2012/07/19/sandbag-workout/

I agree with Athena on the chin up bar and the adjustable dumbbells.

I personally do weight training (Stonglifts 5x5), but I heard the convict training book is really good. It starts with simple movements and builds to more complex compound exercises.

Nick

Lvl 2 Dwarven Warrier

(STR) - 3 (DEX) - 2 (STA) - 3 (CON) - 2 (WIS) - 2 (CHA) - 2

"Ride to meet your fate.Your destiny awaits" Amon Amarth "Twilight of the Thunder God"

Thanks again :) and I have kindle for iPad and am able to download convict conditioning (which looks good, thanks barfly) as its in the uk amazon store but obviously the NF guides aren't in there so I wouldn't be able to read them using the kindle app. AngelBlaidd do you read the fitness guides on your iPad? If so do you use an app?

The pop Pilates look like good fun :)

As for goals and interests i dont really know yet but im interested in martial arts and parkour, the agility, speed and control that comes with it is something I'd love to be able to have. (But have never thought I would as I'm in the habit of tripping over thin air)

Apart from that I'd just like to be able to take my dog out (my mum does it currently) and be able to run and play with her without having to stop after ten seconds, even sitting in the chair playing with her tug toy I can barely do that two minutes without getting out of breath and my arms killing me.

Btw when I click on challenge sign up sheet there's just a big empty white box so I don't know how to sign up unless I can just create a thread and join in? I don't care about being eligible for the prize or anything.

Echo

attachicon.gif1011067_429723373808802_2311891_n.jpgHi EchoWolf,

You say weird like that's a bad thing ;-) I embrace it!

You've gotten some real good advice so far, but if I may add my 2 pence:  I've been doing a workout called "Convict Conditioning" for a while now. It's a bodyweight workout supposedly by/for prisoners - first thing I thought of when I read of you not leaving the house :-( - but I don't know if that's true or just marketing. It's worked well for me, might for you, too. No equipment, mostly. It's available lots of places online. I've got a pdf around here, somewhere. Don't know if you can open pdfs with an iPad, though.

Anyway, good luck, check out the site, keep in touch.

Barfly

Dat workout "Convict Conditioning". Totally know what you're talking about and as far as bodyweight exercises go, it definitely looks like one of the most efficient. Never done it myself, but after looking through it I'm convinced it'll do the trick.

Archived