Forums are back in action! ×

Tired or lazy?

I have been having trouble lately with being super tired (like falling asleep watching TV after dinner) and not wanting to work out. I usually adhere to the "well clearly my body needs the rest" policy but perhaps that is allowing me to be lazy. It challenges my motivation a great deal to push through the fatigue. Thoughts?

chrisevans17, Level 2 Half-Orc Ranger
STR 5 | DEX 3 | STA 6 | CON 4 | WIS 4 | CHA 6

|Facebook|Twitter|Fitocracy|Runkeeper|Personal Blog|Podcast|Current Challenge|

"TRY NOT. DO. OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY" ~MASTER YODA
Specialization is for insects. Do all the things!

Maybe try working out in the mornings? It helps me wake up and have more energy throughout the day, and it keeps me on a schedule, because I know that no matter what, I am getting up a 7:45 AM and doing my work out. Then I'll be done for the day. 

I also have a buddy that expects me up and ready BY 7:45 AM to work out with me, so those expectations help. 

STR: +3 || DEX: +1 || STA: +3 || CON: +2 || WIS: +4 || CHA: +2

Make sure you are factoring the quality of diet and sleep. Are you staying hydrated throughout the day? Stress? More active at work? There are many factors that can be causing this. Only you know your body and what has changed in your routine.

USS & NBAC Masters swim coach

Current: lifter, runner

Former: triathlete, cyclocross racer, NCAA swimmer

Current games: Borderlands 2, Runescape, Star Ocean, Dragon's Dogma

Then don't sit down and watch tv :) Seriously, if you're getting enough sleep, just push through. Even if you can't do a whole workout, doing something is better than nothing and helps keep the habit up.

This. Sometimes what I will do is start the workout and see what happens. Most times I feel energized after starting. If I start to feel worse, I lighten up or quit. How much sleep are you getting? Maybe you need to get to bed earlier?

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

I'm with Elastigirl. I don't put much weight in how I feel before the workout. I workout anyways. But I do pay attention to how I feel once I'm well into the workout and I've woken myself up. If I'm really really struggling through workouts or noticing that I seem to be losing my strength gains, I take a look at whether I'm recovering well between workouts.

Remember, QUALITY of recovery (which has to do with diet, sleep, stress, etc) is huge. 

Eat more, sleep more, lift more. If you have to ask the question o"Tired or Lazy?" then very likely it is then you're probably just being lazy and using whatever excuse you can come up with. Gt under the bar and stop making excuses. If you need more energy then eat more, get better sleep, and if need be have an evening cup of coffee to keep you focused while you punish yourself.

My training log

Spoiler

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (USS), April 16th Contest report

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (NAS), April 18th Contest report

Eighth Annual Vis Vires Outdoor Strongman Competition (Unsanctioned), August 1st Contest report

"What's the difference between an injury that you train around and an injury that you train through?"

"A trip to the hospital"

I have been having trouble lately with being super tired (like falling asleep watching TV after dinner) and not wanting to work out. I usually adhere to the "well clearly my body needs the rest" policy but perhaps that is allowing me to be lazy. It challenges my motivation a great deal to push through the fatigue. Thoughts?

I've been up since 4:30 am, for the 3rd day running.  2 hours into work, 8.5 hour day then 2 hours back.  I was falling asleep on the train home.  Did an hour of boxing drills at a class followed by an hour of lifting and I feel fan-bloody-tastic. (YMMV).  I'd say go along and if you're still not into it, then you get to declare a rest day :) just showing up is enough to rule out "lazy" as far as I'm concerned.

"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself" -- Tolstoy

Not sure if it was buzz or woody that said it though.

Spartan double trifecta progess:

100%
100%

Tough Mudder "10 x Legionnaire":

100.0%
100.0%
"Run ALL the things or die tryin'"
110%
110%

fitocracy Ogre Magi Lvl 16 Ranger STR: 38|DEX: 58|STA: 59|baCON: 34|WIS: 30|CHA: 30

Previously Completed: Spartan Trifecta, Enough TM Headbands to make a ski mask

Maybe try working out in the mornings? It helps me wake up and have more energy throughout the day, and it keeps me on a schedule, because I know that no matter what, I am getting up a 7:45 AM and doing my work out. Then I'll be done for the day. 

I agree whole heatedly!!! I started with a trainer a week or so ago, and because of our schedules she's only available at 6:30 am. At first I thought "there's just no way" but then I took an honest look at what I wanted more - an extra hour of sleep and an entire day of feeling like I didn't live to my potential, or driving crusty eyed to the gym and getting my sweat on to mentally set myself or the remainder of the day ... I gotta say the latter won. I did not regret waking up to meet my trainer at 6::30 but I most certainly would have regretted half assing it after work or worse excusing myself from doing it at all.

I refer to it as "fake it til you make it" - showing up us half the battle - I always tell myself "we'll shit, now I'm here ... Might as well make it work it" good luck!!!!!

"Oh, my friend, it's not what they take away from you that counts -- it's what you do with what you have left."

- Hubert H. Humphrey

Azer - Ranger - (STR) 3 (DEX) 2 (STA) 2 (CON) 3 (WIS) 3 (CHA) 2

Level 1

Battle Log ∙ Tumblr ∙ Instagram ∙ Twitter

I don't know what kind of fitness regimen you're on, but I do CrossFit, and that's 3 days on, 1day off, no exceptions (in addition to 6:30 AM mandatory Army physical training). Failure to maintain this = laziness for me (although sometimes I work 18 hour days, so that puts a wrench in my plans, but I start the next 3 day cycle all over again the next day regardless of where I was). If you need to, have a cup of coffee after dinner. Also, try to sleep more. I know it's hard for us nerds to maintain work + video games/comic books/etc + social life + gym balance, but generally the sacrifice needs to come out of entertainment time, not sleeping time. 

tl;dr is how I roll

What time are we talking as 'after dinner'? I don't know that it's necessary to automatically define 'laziness' with this situation, but it's probably definitely symptomatic of something being out of kilter in your lifestyle. The biggest factor I've found for day-long energy is getting the right amount of sleep, and at the right time. Your sleep pattern would be the first thing I'd be looking at.

Example: I used to sleep 5-6 hours a night, getting into bed around about midnight-1AM and waking up around 6/7AM - and then fighting the snooze button to actually get myself out of bed. I'd feel lazy and lethargic almost all day. Then I remembered reading something several years ago that said the sleep we get before midnight is actually of a higher quality than what we do if we go to bed later at night. I figured I'd put it to the test - started getting to bed around 9:30 so I was asleep by ten, and waking up at 4AM.

Magically, it worked. I find that 6 hours sleep is more than enough for me, and I'm actually carrying enough energy across the day that I don't really struggle. It's only when I get distracted or caught up by something, and push beyond that 10PM deadline that I find myself struggling the next day.

Might be worth considering?

Sleepy tired and physical fatigue are two completely different things.

In general exercise will wake you up from sleepy tired, its a lot more powerful than caffeine.

Physical fatigue is different, it will significantly impact your workout in a negative way.

I always still do something though if physical fatigue is an issue, a lighter workout, or if it is extreme, a little walking and/or stretching.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

Thanks for all the feed back. I really think it is just mind over body. I have pushed through and that seems to have helped.

chrisevans17, Level 2 Half-Orc Ranger
STR 5 | DEX 3 | STA 6 | CON 4 | WIS 4 | CHA 6

|Facebook|Twitter|Fitocracy|Runkeeper|Personal Blog|Podcast|Current Challenge|

"TRY NOT. DO. OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY" ~MASTER YODA
Specialization is for insects. Do all the things!

One thing no one has mentioned - are you getting enough iron in your diet? I have a tenancy to go anaemic easily even though I eat a reasonable amount of iron rich food. It makes you feel tired. I also remember reading that exercise can deplete your iron reserves. Have a go at eating more iron - also having vitamin c at the same time as iron helps you to absorb it more easily