Forums are back in action! ×

HELP! Selective Eating is driving me insane!

So, my husband has a pretty restrictive diet... and it is starting to bleed into the kids diets as well, and is slowing my progress into a healthier eating plan.

Here is what he eats:

1 Yoplait strawberry yogurt

2 snack packs vanilla and chocolate pudding

3 ragu traditional spaghetti sauce (yes, specific brand) with full fat hamburger and slightly over cooked noodles

4 white bread lightly toasted with country crock margarine

5 any sort chicken nuggets

6 any sort potato french fries, not sweet potato at all

7 juicy juice fruit punch

8 ocean spray white cranberry strawberry

9 soda

10 pepperoni pizza, most sorts

11 grilled or baked chicken breasts

12 roast turkey breast

13 cheeto puffs

14 pancakes with mrs butterworths butter flavored syrup, with country crock on it

15 ice cream of multiple sorts

16 pringles

17 bbq chips

18 fritos scoops

19 peach mango fruit and vegetable juice from walmart ( I added this last year)

20 bacon

21 reese's, snickers, jr mints

22 popcorn

23 chocolate milk, sunny d, Hawaiian punch, sweet drinks in general

That is just about it... there may be one or two things that I missed, but I doubt it. He wants to lose weight, but refuses to change what he eats. I want him to eat better, and suspect he might have issues with gluten (he is always sick, has horrible heart burn, gets non stop canker sores)

Any ideas on what I can add in, or how I might get some new things past him? I am getting a little desperate. (See comments in A House Divided)

"I was taught that the way of progress was neither swift nor easy." ~~Marie Curie

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honour, Duty, Mercy, Hope. " ~~ Winston Churchill 

Level 1 Human Druid STR 1 DEX 1 STA 1 CON 2 WIS 3 CHA 2  (yes, human. Boring I know.)

So, my husband has a pretty restrictive diet... and it is starting to bleed into the kids diets as well, and is slowing my progress into a healthier eating plan.

Here is what he eats:

1 Yoplait strawberry yogurt           (Get  plain greek yogurt and strawberry preserves)

2 snack packs vanilla and chocolate pudding      ( There is an awesome recipe to make chocolate pudding out of avocado)

3 ragu traditional spaghetti sauce (yes, specific brand) with full fat hamburger and slightly over cooked noodles  (Buy Lean Ground beef or swich to chicken or turkey )

4 white bread lightly toasted with country crock margarine  (There is Flat out bread, or if he doesnot have an allergy to coconut flour you can make your own flat bread or use banana pancakes as bread)

5 any sort chicken nuggets    (Make your own using ground chicken or turkey,  or just get chicken breast  cut it into small peices and bread them yourself)

6 any sort potato french fries, not sweet potato at all  (try making your own by baking them)

7 juicy juice fruit punch  

8 ocean spray white cranberry strawberry  

9 soda   (gotta say byebye)

10 pepperoni pizza, most sorts  (there are recipes like Meatza (pizza crust out of meat)

11 grilled or baked chicken breasts 

12 roast turkey breast

13 cheeto puffs  (though not good, they do have an organic version)

14 pancakes with mrs butterworths butter flavored syrup, with country crock on it   (Banana pancakes or pancakes made from coconut or almond flour;  Gress fed butter or MELT butter spread,   try honey or get real maple syrup)

15 ice cream of multiple sorts  (make your own  just by freezing your favorite fruit and then thrown them in a blender)

16 pringles

17 bbq chips

18 fritos scoops

19 peach mango fruit and vegetable juice from walmart ( I added this last year)

20 bacon

21 reese's, snickers, jr mints  (there are organic versions or make ur own with some dark chocolate and peanut butter, great snack that takes about 30 minutes to make due to having to put it in the freezer a few times)

22 popcorn   

23 chocolate milk, sunny d, Hawaiian punch, sweet drinks in general   (sweetened coconut or almond milk?)

That is just about it... there may be one or two things that I missed, but I doubt it. He wants to lose weight, but refuses to change what he eats. I want him to eat better, and suspect he might have issues with gluten (he is always sick, has horrible heart burn, gets non stop canker sores)

Any ideas on what I can add in, or how I might get some new things past him? I am getting a little desperate. (See comments in A House Divided)

I have added a few suggestions in red above.  my guy is picky too, though no harm in making a small amount for you and just having him try a bit.  though you should be able to switch the meat in the spaghetti just fine.   

"Speak softy and carry a big stick" - Theodore Roosevelt

My (try to be) Daily Tracker  ~  Goals ~ Paleo/ Primal Recipes ~ Fav Videos ~ Helpful Info ~

Thank you for the suggestions, but he would notice every single one of them, and refuse to eat it. What I really need is some way to convince him to change, and not to try to change things on him... I have already tried many of those (except we can't keep coconut in the house) and he had a colossal freak out each and every time. =/

thank you for trying =/

I should have specified that he is a supertaster and can TASTE minor differences. I guess that I need some psychological tools.

"I was taught that the way of progress was neither swift nor easy." ~~Marie Curie

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honour, Duty, Mercy, Hope. " ~~ Winston Churchill 

Level 1 Human Druid STR 1 DEX 1 STA 1 CON 2 WIS 3 CHA 2  (yes, human. Boring I know.)

My hubby eats better than this but I can't get him off the bread and cereal.  He even read "It Starts With Food" and thought it was a reasonable & logical way of eating.  At this point in time all I can do is be the best example that I can be.  I don't cook grains and if anyone in my house wants to eat something that I don't cook it is up to them to get/make it.  I think he has issues with gluten too but untill he decides to change I can't do anything...  Is it easy?  NOPE!  Can I make him change?  Nope!   So for now I just cook as healthy as I can and hope that he makes better decisions in the future.

In addition to making the changes for his own health I'm also wishing he would make the dietary improvements to be a better example for our kids!

Its so hard to be the only one eating paleo in the house...  But I am willing to be paleo this for my own health.  Wishing you much luck!!!!

Ranger-Monk Hybrid - Do all the things and lots of BJJ

I am a strong little powerhouse 

Current Challenge: Terra turns 50?!?!?

Thank you for the suggestions, but he would notice every single one of them, and refuse to eat it. What I really need is some way to convince him to change, and not to try to change things on him... I have already tried many of those (except we can't keep coconut in the house) and he had a colossal freak out each and every time. =/

thank you for trying =/

I should have specified that he is a supertaster and can TASTE minor differences. I guess that I need some psychological tools.

There is basically nothing you can do to convince him. He has to do it himself. Fix yourself and the kids  healthy food and let him eat what he wants. Perhaps he will see you getting healthier and change his diet, perhaps not. Rather than focusing on him changing, I would focus  on the habits you want to instill in your children and what you can agree on there. Can he agree to keep his chips, cheetos, candys,soda at work so that the children don't see him eating them. You can serve stuff for dinner he like (yea even the Ragu spagetti) if he agrees to keep the junk food out of the house.

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

You can't change him

I'm sure you've tried and tried. ... he knows it isn't healthy. ... fix for yourself and the kids. ... if they are eating like him and it bothers you you could sit him down and tell him that you want to institute new rules for the kids and eating and you don't want to change him but you need his help to enforce the rules with the kids. ... and then stop nagging. ... once he begins to see you are serious and your changes are sticking he will change. ... if he doesn't that's ok too as long as he helps you and the kids change

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

Not a clue, sorry. I feel you, though. Hubby is full blown Aspie, and thank God he will eat whatever I put in front of him, but in other areas, I no longer bother bringing stuff up.

Just do what you need to do. Everything he will eat is pretty easy for him to make for himself. Cook a meal for you and the kids and let him forage. Or serve LOTS of grilled chicken.

Level 2 Halfling Adventurer

Strength 1 Dexterity 1 Stamina 3 Constitution 4 Wisdom 3 Charisma 2

Current Challenge Thread

First Challenge Thread

Fit to Eat: my posts on the Sweatpants & Coffee Site