Forums are back in action! ×

Went on a run for the first time in my life!

I'm not counting PE classes or other mandatory occasions here. This evening, for the first time ever, I put on my nifty new sneakers and went on a run voluntarily!

Well, okay, I started the C25K program, so I was walking and jogging, but it's still both feet off the ground. I was really surprised by how well I did. I mean, I tried to monitor my form and I wasn't really hurting anywhere - when I've had to run before, my stomach's stung so badly I've had to quit. Maybe it's the body weight workouts I've been doing for the past two weeks or actually knowing how to run properly (i.e. not stomping on my heels), but I felt ridiculously athletic. :tongue: And I actually liked it, which was the biggest surprise of all.

I've never taken the time to familiarize myself with my new surroundings, so I just wandered around the neighborhood. I was in the middle of a road besides some fields when the podcast ended, so I cut through a trail I spotted and ended up in someone's back yard. I had to sneak out of there without anyone noticing me. :D Rogue XP? I also found a playground, which is awesome, because there's this upside-down J looking thing with bars in there that I can practice pull-ups with.

I feel so pumped! I have to rein myself in to not go again immediately tomorrow, I don't want to wear myself out.

(I also noticed I was really flexible afterwards, which was unexpected. I always stretch after my body weight workouts and haven't noticed much improvement, but now that I was stretching after the run, I was suddenly able to touch my toes again. Huh. Weird.)

POLARIS - LEVEL 4 AVATAR WARRIOR/MONK

(currently visiting assassins) | Challenge Thread

"We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us."

TheHalfie: You should definitely give it a try. I used to HATE running with capital letters, that's why I'm so shocked that I actually liked it. Though I think knowing the proper technique (at least in theory...) helped a ton, because before it's always started hurting like five seconds in.

Drewsten: Don't worry, you'll get there, it just takes time. I just got back there pretty quickly because I'm naturally flexible. And I should have said I'll practice pull-ups in the playground when I'm actually close to managing one - I tried a chin-up yesterday and wouldn't budge at all. I have no arm strength whatsoever. I recently moved from wall push-ups to incline push-ups and am having huge difficulties because I feel like my arms will just give out and I'll fall on my face.

"We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us."

TheHalfie: You should definitely give it a try. I used to HATE running with capital letters, that's why I'm so shocked that I actually liked it. Though I think knowing the proper technique (at least in theory...) helped a ton, because before it's always started hurting like five seconds in.

there's a proper technique? To run? Please do share! It seriously hurts everything 5 seconds in, just like you say.

Current Challenge Goals:

1. Workout 3x/week || 2. Eat Primally when at Home || 3. Make the Bed 

Daily Battle Log 

My Accountabilihomies: DISTRICT 12

Food I Make

Haha, it's not some super-secret technique. This article was a total eye-opener for me, so I recommend you take a look at it if you haven't already, but these were the two most important points for me:

1) No fancy, expensive, super-cushioned, supported-from-every-side shoes. Those will just wreck your ankles, because the small muscles in your feet and legs never learn to do their job since the shoe does everything for them. I wasn't brave enough to go straight for barefoot sneakers, so I bought an affordable pair of natural running shoes.

2) Don't land on your heel. Land on the front/middle of your foot. THIS is the one thing that changed my mind 180 degrees about running. It's like this great secret about running that no PE teacher ever told me. I used to stomp on my heels, and I would hurt everywhere from stomach down. But when I tried running/jogging so that I landed on the balls of my feet, my knees didn't lock and so there wasn't this huge impact on my body. I felt so much more powerful and lighter. I seriously felt like a gazelle... like, a slow baby gazelle but anyway :D

Also, do stop to stretch your shins if they start hurting. Mine threatened to, too, but that was probably because I had never been using those parts of the muscles before.

Haha, it's not some super-secret technique. This article was a total eye-opener for me, so I recommend you take a look at it if you haven't already, but these were the two most important points for me:

1) No fancy, expensive, super-cushioned, supported-from-every-side shoes. Those will just wreck your ankles, because the small muscles in your feet and legs never learn to do their job since the shoe does everything for them. I wasn't brave enough to go straight for barefoot sneakers, so I bought an affordable pair of natural running shoes.

2) Don't land on your heel. Land on the front/middle of your foot. THIS is the one thing that changed my mind 180 degrees about running. It's like this great secret about running that no PE teacher ever told me. I used to stomp on my heels, and I would hurt everywhere from stomach down. But when I tried running/jogging so that I landed on the balls of my feet, my knees didn't lock and so there wasn't this huge impact on my body. I felt so much more powerful and lighter. I seriously felt like a gazelle... like, a slow baby gazelle but anyway :D

Also, do stop to stretch your shins if they start hurting. Mine threatened to, too, but that was probably because I had never been using those parts of the muscles before.

Guess what Polaris? You put the bug in my ear and I actually went for a jog too. For the first time in MY life (non-PE life, anyway, haha). I used the "Zombies, Run!" app and I found that yeah, not landing on my heels helps, haha. I was out there for about 30 minutes, and at east half of it was walking, but that means 40% or so was running, haha. Today, I ache. But it was good, and I'll probably do it again. Thanks for posting this :)

Current Challenge Goals:

Daily Battle Log 

Food I Make

That's awesome, TheHalfie! You know, I'd be using Zombies! Run too, but alas, I have no smartphone. That's why C25K with the podcasts is the second best thing for me, because it tells me when to run and when to slow down.

Couldn't go on a run today, by the way, because I managed to screw up something in my hip or thigh during yesterday's workout, it keeps hurting whenever my foot twists into either direction. I don't even know how it happened, but I hope it gets better so I can go on Thursday. (Didn't dare to go anyway and risk injuring it more.)

That's awesome, TheHalfie! You know, I'd be using Zombies! Run too, but alas, I have no smartphone. That's why C25K with the podcasts is the second best thing for me, because it tells me when to run and when to slow down.

Couldn't go on a run today, by the way, because I managed to screw up something in my hip or thigh during yesterday's workout, it keeps hurting whenever my foot twists into either direction. I don't even know how it happened, but I hope it gets better so I can go on Thursday. (Didn't dare to go anyway and risk injuring it more.)

Same thing happened after my inaugural run... injured my hip somehow. Not sure I managed it, but I was born with dislocated hips and I've always had problems with them, especially after long waitressing shifts and things like that. Anyway, it's been a couple days and it's gotten much better. Thinking tomorrow I'll give it a try again if I have time. Feel better!

Current Challenge Goals:

Daily Battle Log 

Food I Make