Forums are back in action! ×

greetz from Manitoba

Hey all,

So, hmm, how much of my life story do you want? Let's briefly touch on elementary school, where I was always the chubby kid who couldn't run well - ok enough of that, on to college age where I was the guy that cycled 30, 40, 50km as an everyday sort of thing, but was still flabby - then got into bodybuilding for a while and was about to make some decent progress with that and quit - then kind of flailed about doing some cycling occasionally and even winning a triathlon as part of a relay team, alternating with not doing much of anything, and then last year I started running a bit more seriously and finished a half marathon, and my "recovery" from that has lasted about till now - as you can see I have trouble sticking with things! but last year was the first time I'd really had any health problems, with chronic upset stomach that the doctor couldn't diagnose (big surprise there ... usually they can only diagnose things once it's way too late, in my experience). I tried different diet approaches. Being strictly vegan was sort of working and sort of not but more not. Also I was constantly hungry. A few months ago I decided to try paleo/primal and that seems to be the answer for me; upset stomach is pretty much gone, and I lost weight without really trying. Having said that though, when I started I was at the heaviest I'd ever been (226) and now I've dropped to 206 and seem to be stuck there, whereas my ideal bodyweight is more like 175. I've started cycling again, also canoeing, but still inconsistent (summer is too ridiculously busy) and no strength training yet. So I seem to be out of the starter zone but lots of leveling up left to do. 39 years old now and I really can't depend on things to take care of themselves anymore.

General nerdery, well, I'm mostly into language learning for the past few years, slowly getting better at Japanese, seeing new patterns, having the strange become familiar, understanding new things is what recharges my brain every day. Hoping to start Italian soon as well. Used to play quite a bit of MMORPGs, more WoW than anything else but also touching on LotRO, Perfect World, DDO, etc. Not really playing at all anymore though, no time. Also really want to get going with classical guitar again, and also learn the lute ... most days I feel like the White Rabbit, "I'm going to be late, I'm going to be late!"

Anyway good to be here and hoping to help where I can and get help where I need :)