Forums are back in action! ×

BBC to reveal new Doctor on Sunday

I'm excited! But at the same time, I sort of want to be surprised when I watch the episode. Especially if it's an actor I already know (which, I admit, isn't very likely based on past Doctors).

It'll be pretty hard to avoid finding out though, considering how much time I spend on the internet. Oh well.

Current Challenge

"This is an important message for all passengers hoping to fly to Nottingham. Raise your ambitions.†- Cabin Pressure

Yes, I saw this new on the Twitterverse yesterday. Very excited to see who will star as the next Doctor. As Ailrox comments, it may be hard avoiding who gets the gig before tomorrow's live broadcast, so I may have to limit my exposure to social media for the next 28 hours.

Gnome Assassin - Level 4

STR 7.75 | DEX 3.5 | STA 5.0 | CON 4.5 | WIS 4.0 | CHA 3.75

"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts."

First Challenge  Second Challenge Third Challenge

I wish I could have been surprised during the episode, but it was spoiled for me twice on FB, twice on Twitter, once from husband, and once from Fitocracy. Why do people feel the need to shout it from the rooftops?

Well, it's nice to see people being polite somewhere. NF <3

PaNtInApRoViNa

level 2 Halfling warrior

STR 4.5 | DEX 4.25 | STA 3.5 | CON 12.5 | WIS 3.75 | CHA 2

Fitocracy

Not thrilled with this choice at all, I had kinda hoped they would go with a lady doctor =/

SmashingPixie

>>> ~ >>> ~ >>> ~ >>> ~ >>> ~ <<< ~ <<< ~ <<< ~ <<< ~ <<<

Level 1 ~ Ambling Asguardian Assassin

STR 1 - DEX 1- STA 1 - CON 3 - WIS 3 - CHA 3

TO THE PAIN!

"We are what we pretend to be,

so we must be careful what

we pretend to be."

~ Vonnegut ~

That's two in a row I've been pretty happy with (didn't have a clue who matt smith was but they showed clips of everyone in the running and the second I saw him I wanted it to be him - he just looks so out of kilter at times)

I like the fact the new doctor  was sufficiently nerdy that they wrote fan mail about it 40 years ago.

"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself" -- Tolstoy

Not sure if it was buzz or woody that said it though.

Spartan double trifecta progess:

100%
100%

Tough Mudder "10 x Legionnaire":

100.0%
100.0%
"Run ALL the things or die tryin'"
110%
110%

fitocracy Ogre Magi Lvl 16 Ranger STR: 38|DEX: 58|STA: 59|baCON: 34|WIS: 30|CHA: 30

Previously Completed: Spartan Trifecta, Enough TM Headbands to make a ski mask

Two in a row? What about David Tennant?! 

Didn't really have any feelings either way ... liked him when he was there.  Matt Smith just looks like a bit of a gonk at times (which works) and the main problem with the new guy is he's probably going to be the scariest thing on it.  Which does tie in with some of what they've been doing.  Most of the new ones have been pretty good, although the writing has been variable.  Of course, none of them are a patch on Tom Baker. :)

"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself" -- Tolstoy

Not sure if it was buzz or woody that said it though.

Spartan double trifecta progess:

100%
100%

Tough Mudder "10 x Legionnaire":

100.0%
100.0%
"Run ALL the things or die tryin'"
110%
110%

fitocracy Ogre Magi Lvl 16 Ranger STR: 38|DEX: 58|STA: 59|baCON: 34|WIS: 30|CHA: 30

Previously Completed: Spartan Trifecta, Enough TM Headbands to make a ski mask

Didn't really have any feelings either way ... liked him when he was there.  Matt Smith just looks like a bit of a gonk at times (which works) and the main problem with the new guy is he's probably going to be the scariest thing on it.  Which does tie in with some of what they've been doing.  Most of the new ones have been pretty good, although the writing has been variable.  Of course, none of them are a patch on Tom Baker. :)

Tom Baker is a god to me. I did a voiceover with him once, and asked him to sign my copy of his book  "The Boy Who Kicked Pigs" for my son Max (who was only a toddler at the time). He wrote "to Max, best wishes from the grave, Tom Baker'. genius ;)

When I first saw his pic, I wasn't feeling it. When I watched the "live" reveal, the first thing I thought when I saw him (still kind of in the smoke) was he looks like an older Matt Smith. It would be interesting if this isn't a regeneration but the Doctor returning to Clara after, say, 400 years of wandering. Or maybe imprisonment -- that would be interesting.

Human Ranger (w/ a little Assassin)

If the writing is done right, it will work.

I'm glad they went this direction.  Chris was a little on the rougher side and older side.  Then they went to David who was younger, a little sillier and still occasionally rough around the edges.  From there we have Matt who was very young, very silly and occasionally bordering on lunatic.  From there they either had to break the pattern of going younger/sillier or cast someone so young that his voice was still a little squeaky and had ADHD.

The writing has taken more dramatic turns lately with more dark edges to the stories, so I think casting someone who has good dramatic acting chops was a good call.  This fella also seems to look a lot more serious, which should lend itself well to those aspects of the stories and when he *IS* being a madman in a box and a little manic (all of them in the new series have had those moments) it should really stand out more.  Overall, I do think this was a smart casting move.

This also puts the emphasis on the stories fully, instead of pretty boys to appease fangirls.

Will it be an adjustment to go from Matt to him?  Sure.  Just like it was going from Chris to David and David to Matt.  In the end it worked out each time though.  They have the casting of the Doctor down to a science and I will show them faith in this until they prove otherwise.

As for the Doctor being a woman - I think that also would have been a brilliant move but I fear that too many of the fans would freak out over that.  At the end of the day, the BBC is still a company and they are probably too afraid of backlash from the public to make a move THAT bold.

level 4 Gnoll warrior
STR 6|DEX 5|STA 4|CON 5|WIS 5|CHA 2

Building a better Raev, part 1.

Goal: working set of 350# squat, 235# bench, 370# deadlift, 15% or lower BF%

Fix slight pelvic tilt, reinforce lower back to help disc issue

I agree. They needed to take a break from the young and silly. Now, I like young and silly, but that's only one dimension of the Doctor -- and if anything, it's probably the least apt characteristic.  At least the young part! Bring it on, Pete! (I has Pete because that's what his buddy Craig Ferguson called him.)

Gnome Assassin - Level 4

STR 7.75 | DEX 3.5 | STA 5.0 | CON 4.5 | WIS 4.0 | CHA 3.75

"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts."

First Challenge  Second Challenge Third Challenge

As for the Doctor being a woman - I think that also would have been a brilliant move but I fear that too many of the fans would freak out over that.  At the end of the day, the BBC is still a company and they are probably too afraid of backlash from the public to make a move THAT bold.

I understand where the people with this mindset are coming from, but tbh after a character has been male for 12 incarnations over 50 years with a plethora of superb actors available is there any reason to change other than to go "look at us, we're so progressive"?

Gender aside Capaldi is a fantastic choice as long as the writing for him is solid, I'm hoping his casting is going to mean a return to a less silly tone, less deus ex machina endings and adding a little darkness and mystery back to the franchise, something akin to the way McCoy's Doctor was heading in his final series (and did in the audio series) but without pantomime series stopping that change from being taken seriously.