Forums are back in action! ×

Hi fellow rebels. 

I'm Shaun - a 33 year old from New Zealand, and well... the title says it all.

I've read every article on Nerd Fitness many times, but do nothing. I am well and truly an underpants collector!

For the last week I've been sitting here thinking "Oh, I've missed the start of this challenge. Cool, I'll start thinking about what to do for the next one."

Well screw that! I need to take action. Sure I don't have a fully formed battle plan just yet. But there's no reason not to start setting goals and holding myself accountable right now. Then when the next challenge comes around I will have formed some good habits and be ready to kick butt.

So what am I here for? Well in a nutshell to lose weight and get fitter and be a happier person.

I'm 172cm and weigh 94.1kg (207.45lbs). I'm leading a rather sedentary lifestyle.

Ideally I would like to get down to the 70kg (154.32lb) mark.

My goals for now are to make a start. I'm gonna celebrate each 5kgs - those will be my milestones. I want to feel healthier and happier in myself and my body. I want to set a better example for my daughter as she grows up.

Here's what I am committing to (my own mini challenge until the next challenge begins on September 16):

Goal One: Kick the soda and snacking on junk food.

I drink soooo much soda. It's ridiculous. I've quit before and then come back to it. Not this time. I have small amount of Coke Zero in the fridge that I should finish in the next day or two. Then... no more. No popping out on my work breaks and getting a can of soda and chocolate to get me through the day. I will be water exclusive. (I don't drink coffee or tea). I will not snack on junk food. I believe I can get through the day with no snacking, but if not I will find a healthy solution.

Goal Two: 10,000 steps per day.

The first step in getting more active for me. I have a fitbit charging next to me right now, and from tomorrow it will be on my hip.

I started C25K last year and really enjoyed it. I can't even remember why I stopped it - and that will be my next step once I feel ready to start it again. I don't think my body will handle it at my current fitness right now.

If anyone wants to be fitbit buddies, here's my profile.

Goal Three: Portion Control.

I eat more than I need to. I will start reducing my portion size and stop eating for the sake of eating. When getting food I will ask myself "How much do I really need?"

Life Goal until the next challenge: Create my Epic Quest 'bucket list' and post it on the boards. Be active on the NF boards. Motivate myself and others here. Even if I have no advice to give... I can still give encouragement to others.

I know these goals might not be the loftiest, toughest goals. But I am excited. But they are my first steps. I will succeed this time and am happy to be on the journey with you all.

There's more to me than the ramble above. Feel free to say hi and ask me anything if you want to know more  :rapture:

SkullHands - Level 0 Shape-Shifter

[sTR 0] [DEX 0] [sTA 0] [CON 0] [WIS 0] [CHA 0]

FitBit Profile | Zombies, Run! | Epic Quest: TBC

First Challenge: Shape-shifting 101

Accountibilibuddies: The First Timers

Welcome aboard! :)

I'm new here as well, trying to get to know some other new kids on the block!

It sounds like you have some pretty solid goals laid out for you there! 5kg is a great milestone - you should decide on some sort of reward when you get there! I always like bombastic new workout clothes - makes me wanna go workout more :)

I know kicking the soda can (har har) be tough - my husband had a bit of a coke problem. I love saying that. But seriously, if we had coke zero in the house, he wouldn't just have a can with lunch, it'd be like 3 or more cans a day. We stopped buying it because he realized he had no control over his consumption of the stuff. But he felt SO much better afterwards that now it doesn't faze him at all.

Wishing you all the best on your challenges - feel free to drop me a line if you ever need a kick in the pants! :)

I know kicking the soda can (har har) be tough - my husband had a bit of a coke problem. I love saying that. But seriously, if we had coke zero in the house, he wouldn't just have a can with lunch, it'd be like 3 or more cans a day. We stopped buying it because he realized he had no control over his consumption of the stuff. But he felt SO much better afterwards that now it doesn't faze him at all.

Thanks for the welcome.

I know how pernicious soda is so that is definitely a must do for me. Right now the sugar pangs hit hardest at about 3.00pm - but so far have managed to resist the call.

So far things are going well with my other challenges as well. The weather was atrocious here over the weekend and I had sole charge of my 19 month  old daughter so struggled to hit the 10,000 step challenge. Will have to figure out a solution for when similar situations happen again. Cos they will...

Hey there,

I actually have a pretty good soda problem myself.  Coupled with fast food, it is where most of my weight gain has come from.  They taste soo good, but they make you feel just awful.  So one of my daily goals is to cut that out as well.  Its tough but from what I hear it gives you so much more energy to replace it with water and healthy food.  And I love having lots of energy to accomplish my goals!!

Good luck on your journey, we'll be here to encourage you.  I'm basically re-starting my journey as well.  I'm ten pounds down, started at 206lb myself, but have lacked consistency in all areas of my life.  Good luck to you!!  Keep striving for your goals!

"Knowing is not enough, we must apply.  Willing is not enough, we must do."

--Bruce Lee

Good luck!

Soda with that evil HFCS sugar is truly the evil of our time as far as healthy eating in the modern world is concerned.

It is just one of the unintended consequences of profit, addiction, natural weakness, and marketing (see the profit part), and of course BigAG.

I switched to coffee (with Sucralose), water, and when I just have to have it - the squirt bottles of flavor (with Sucralose).

I replaced my snacking with almond butter on celery, the protein helps with the hunger and the crash.

Hi :) Great goals!!! In the beginning, it makes sense to start small! Thank you for your encouragement on my thread! Im glad it inspired you :)

Thanks for dropping by Bekah. The small goals are working so far - I've lost about 5kg (11lbs) - which makes me really excited for my first challenge

(and designing my real life roleplaying character!)

Thanks for dropping by Bekah. The small goals are working so far - I've lost about 5kg (11lbs) - which makes me really excited for my first challenge

(and designing my real life roleplaying character!)

AWESOME!!!

Druid Assassin Halfling

:) Druid  :)

Level 16, Current Quest: Bekah Returns

Spoiler

Your life does not get better by chance. It gets better by change.

- Jim Rohn

Hey there,

I actually have a pretty good soda problem myself.  Coupled with fast food, it is where most of my weight gain has come from.  They taste soo good, but they make you feel just awful.  So one of my daily goals is to cut that out as well.  Its tough but from what I hear it gives you so much more energy to replace it with water and healthy food.  And I love having lots of energy to accomplish my goals!!

Good luck on your journey, we'll be here to encourage you.  I'm basically re-starting my journey as well.  I'm ten pounds down, started at 206lb myself, but have lacked consistency in all areas of my life.  Good luck to you!!  Keep striving for your goals!

A (very!) belated thanks for the encouragement. It sounds that we are starting from very similar places. It's nice to know people in the same position. I'll make sure to check in on how you're going from time to time  :tennis:

For trouble hitting step goals with toddlers. .. put them in the backpack. .. stroller. .. on your shoulders. .. just chase them. ... go to the park and run ... dance in the rain. ... search for bugs. ... it doesn't have to be thre miles at a time just walk :)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

For trouble hitting step goals with toddlers. .. put them in the backpack. .. stroller. .. on your shoulders. .. just chase them. ... go to the park and run ... dance in the rain. ... search for bugs. ... it doesn't have to be thre miles at a time just walk :) Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for the advice. I have had some success with doing what you've suggested... and having fun doing it which is important too  :peaceful:

Thanks for the advice. I have had some success with doing what you've suggested... and having fun doing it which is important too  :peaceful:

I wish I had been more fit when mine were toddlers.... but alas I was *that* mom... the mom on the bench :(

at least I climb mountains with them now :)

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

I wish I had been more fit when mine were toddlers.... but alas I was *that* mom... the mom on the bench :(

And that's one of my main motivations. Setting an example for Astrid (my daughter) and readying myself for when it'll be me trying to keep up with her, rather than her keeping up with me.  ^_^

eh.... they get faster faster than you can ;)

Spoiler

:D Jenn is an amazing mom and her kids are awesome because of it!

And that's one of my main motivations. Setting an example for Astrid (my daughter) and readying myself for when it'll be me trying to keep up with her, rather than her keeping up with me.  ^_^

This is the best reason of all! You are going to do amazing things and she will never remember a different time :)

Druid Assassin Halfling

:) Druid  :)

Level 16, Current Quest: Bekah Returns

Spoiler

Your life does not get better by chance. It gets better by change.

- Jim Rohn

Archived