Forums are back in action! ×

I am a nerd about knitting, composting, urban gardening, canning/preserving, cooking and crafting.  It is past time for me to become a nerd about my health which is what brings me to nerd fitness.  

I had a baby in December which left me about 20 pounds heavier.  Eight months later I've dropped all but 2 of those 20 pounds by simply eating a moderate diet and breastfeeding.  Once the baby weight is off I still have approximately 30 pounds that need to go away.

I tried getting an exercise routine going a few times but I think I was doing too much too fast because I ended up exhausted/sick after a week or two every single time.  Apparently reduced sleep + breastfeeding exclusively + working 40 or more hours + jumping in head first to heavy exercise = too much.      

My food intake seems to be working for me so for now I'm going to leave my diet aloe with just some small adjustments as I progress.  I'm going to start easing into exercise with some light walking and small body weight workouts.  I'm hoping that when the next six week challenge starts I'll be ready to start the beginner you are your own gym program.

I'm excited to be here!

Pixie Warrior 

I aim to misbehave

My NF Character, My Current Challenge

Welcome! I just joined today too. =)

First off, well done for trying to take on so much! I loved the experience of breastfeeding my daughter and honestly, I really miss it. So if there's a focus you're looking for, just know that it's admirable and you'll never get that time back again, so cherish it for as long as you can!

Pixie Ranger Drunk on Tea~ (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

Ceasefire - it is a precious time.  I love it so much and will be sad (and a bit happy) when he weans.  We've got awhile to go, I'm hoping to breastfeed until he's at least 2 so we meet the WHO recommendations.

CactusWren - our garden is a wreck this year, we've barely gotten anything out of it.  Not enough weeding, and not enough watering.  Ah well, next year will be better.  We're in zone 6 and are big tomato growers.  

Pixie Warrior 

I aim to misbehave

From another new NF person (and a new mom as well), welcome!  I love your intro, I'm also a cooking/canning/sorta-gardening nerd!  We really only grow tomatoes on our small patio, but its nice each summer.  I got way too into making pickles last year, and we still have half a cabinet full... so we're set for awhile.  ;)  

I'm also hoping to get in on the next 6-week challenge.  Good luck with your goals!!

Level 1 Humanoid Rogue Bard, (Lone) Ranger 

...Not all those who Ranger are lost... 

STR 2|DEX 1|STA 1|CON 1|WIS 3|CHA 2

"Experiment is the mother of knowledge." ~Madeline L'Engle, A Wrinkle in Time

Weeds are the worst! We try to mulch and plant heavily, but there's only so much you can do, especially if you're busy (and who isn't?).

Watering though, not so bad. We finally figured it out this year and put everything on drip irrigation with timers. Kinda expensive intial investment, but it was worth it for us. It's such a weight off, and the plants always have what they need in that regard. The down side is that it also encourages the weeds. :miserable:

CactusWren

progress thread

welcome!!

my babies are slightly older than yours (16, 14, 13 years) but I am still working on that baby weight... just this year am I below what I weighed before I was pregnant with the 14 yo :/

I am working on setting up my whole "what I *want* to garden/what I will grow" list because I am going to start a garden next year :)

again welcome to the rebellion!

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

Welcome.  Diet is 80% of our success when losing weight, so if it's working for you then there's no need to change it.  Have you popped over to the challenge threads to see how people go about setting up smaller "quests" to achieve their overall goal.  You might find some inspiration and even the confidence/desire to jump in with the next one (which starts 15 Sept).

Again Welcome!

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

Thank you so so much for the wonderful welcome everyone.  I am seriously feeling the nerd love.  

Dierski - if you are only growing one thing, tomatoes are the way to go.  I love slow roasting cherry tomatoes with some garlic cloves, it's like tomato candy!.  And pickles are yum.  We still have a small stash of zuchinni and carrot pickles from last year, but I think we're about out of the hot pepper pickles.  The only thing I've canned this season was a batch of tomato jam, and my husband canned a batch of tomato sauce.  

CactusWren - an irrigation system is on our to-do list.  Or a water barrel, or both. 

AlienJenn - good luck with your garden next year.  I'd love to hear how it goes, planning is so fun!  We learn something new and make new mistakes each year.

Blaidd - thanks.  My diet probably wouldn't be OK if I wasn't feeding a kid.  I've had a slight candy bar habit recently.  Amazing what becomes OK when you're providing someone else their calories.  I've been eyeing and spying on the six week challenge quests.  So fun!

Pixie Warrior 

I aim to misbehave