Forums are back in action! ×

First Woot - Run, Fat Boy, Run

I've had a lot of various forms of progress.  I've trickle-lost a lot of weight, I've gained a lot of muscle and strength, I've added sixty pounds to my deadlift, and while they were all awesome... they weren't really WOOT-worthy.  They were little incremental things. I'm still big and fat and out of shape (my avatar is a surprisingly good likeness). 

But the other day, I ran a real, professional 5K race, and placed 19th out of a field of 37 runners.  There was WAY more hills than I was used to, and way more heat, and way more people staring at me, and I still did way better than I thought I would (I guessed I would be in the last five people to cross the line).

So all those small, incremental changes have one great, big WOOT to rally around!

I am redoubling my efforts, and plan to run the 10K version next year. 

The cancer was aggressive, but the chemotherapy was aggressive, as well.

There was aggression on both sides. 

Wooot! That must feel awesome! I'm still too much of a chicken to run an actual 5k race but it's inspiring to see others do well. Congratulations :rapture:

Race: Dwarf Class: Ranger Level: 3

STR: 9 | DEX: 7 | STA: 9 | CON: 6 | WIS: 9 | CHA: 8

Current-5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

When you can't run, you crawl, and when you can't crawl - when you can't do that... You find someone to carry you

Congratulations!! I have almost completed couch to 5k (starting week 9 this week) but the thought of running in front of people scares me. It is one thing to run by myself but another to pin the number on and run with a bunch of people. Good on you for doing it, and doing well! Very inspiring!

Lvl 8 ◠Half-Elf breaking free of an Ogre’s body ◠Ranger
STR 11.5; DEX 2; STA 19.5; CON 13; WIS 13; CHA 5
Fire Flower Power-up
“Things Do Not Happen. Things Are Made to Happen†– John F. Kennedy

My current challenge

2014 - My Year of Badassery (Battle Log)

Twitter

Instagram

Past Challenges:

#1; #2; #3; #4, #5, #6, #7, #8

That was by far the biggest fear to overcome... running in front of people.  I am still a lumbering monster (or feel like it) and a proper race is full of people who are PROFESSIONALLY ATHLETIC.  This is what they DO. I felt like a hippo. 

Fun fact: hippos can get up to surprising speeds. :D

Woot! Congrats on the race and Hippos are awesome

As a joke I've wanted to wear the "National Erectile Dysfunction Marathon" shirt for a race, but I'm to afraid that not many people have seen that movie and wouldn't get that refrence lmao

Between a rock and a hard place, use our finger nails to climb, it's all we know..........

Daily Mile

Perfer et obdura: Dolor hic tibi proderit olim

I don't get the reference, having not actually seen the movie yet but knowing the title, but I can see it getting a few chuckles. :D 

I get way too much of a kick out of fun team names.  My son's team for this year's Arthritis Walk was "Limpin' Ain't Easy". 

That's awesome-congratulations! You deserve the highest of fives. It's definitely intimidating getting out in front of all those people who look like they do this professionally. But really-well done. What a great milestone!

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

Hamlet.

“Stars are beautiful, but they may not take part in anything, they must just look on forever.†

Peter Pan.

That was by far the biggest fear to overcome... running in front of people.  I am still a lumbering monster (or feel like it) and a proper race is full of people who are PROFESSIONALLY ATHLETIC.  This is what they DO. I felt like a hippo. 

Fun fact: hippos can get up to surprising speeds. :D

LMFAO! (not the band - really laughing my f*ing ass off) 

Lvl 8 ◠Half-Elf breaking free of an Ogre’s body ◠Ranger
STR 11.5; DEX 2; STA 19.5; CON 13; WIS 13; CHA 5
Fire Flower Power-up
“Things Do Not Happen. Things Are Made to Happen†– John F. Kennedy

My current challenge

2014 - My Year of Badassery (Battle Log)

Twitter

Instagram

Past Challenges:

#1; #2; #3; #4, #5, #6, #7, #8